Shimp ideas?

Options
I have a bag of frozen shrimp that I don't know what to do with! I have never cooked fresh or frozen shrimp so I'm not sure where or how to start. Any ideas?

Replies

• jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    I have a bag of frozen shrimp that I don't know what to do with! I have never cooked fresh or frozen shrimp so I'm not sure where or how to start. Any ideas?
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    a very great and low cal snack is shrimp cocktail. mix ketchup, horseradish(not the mayo sauce but the grated kind) and a squeeze of lemon or lime(optional but I love it) and thats your dip for the shrimp.....its got lycopene and the horseradish is great for your heart.

OR

Sautee(in olive oil) a little celery and garlic(careful not to burn) and cabbage, and any other veggies you want to throw in I have fun cause I Love my veggies, toss in some low sodium soy suce and cook up some rice noodles and mix them in witha little black pepper A lady I work with taught me this its from the phillipines, I think it is called pancit.

Oh by the way these dishes are with cooked shrimp(I know that is probably obvious but I use my little disclaimer anyways)
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Saute chopped serrano peppers (one pepper or half should do), red bell pepper, chopped fresh garlic in a couple tablespoons of olive oil (if you want a buttery taste add a teaspoon of butter for flavor toward the end of the saute).

Then add your shrimp and quickly stir fry until pink. Yum. Spicy.
  • cheri822
    cheri822 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I actually made shrimp last night. I took Kikkoman Roasted Garlic & Teriyaki sauce and marinated the shrimp for a little bit, then cooked it up with some chopped onions, red bell pepper and green beans. It was really good.
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Check out this website for lots of great shrimp recipes

http://seafood.betterrecipes.com/shrimp.html
  • squankish
    squankish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    my FAVORITE ever ever ever shimp dish is Szechuan Dry Braised Prawns from Chef Chu's cookbook. google it and I promise you you won't regret it. delishhhhhhh :drinker:
  • jcummings69
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Now do I need to cook the shrimp first? How do I cook frozen shrimp??
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Are the precooked?
    If they're already cooked, they should be pink so just thaw them out.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Whenever I cook them, I just chuck them in frozen
  • jcummings69
    Options
    Yea I'm a retard, they are already cooked!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    No you're not!!!:flowerforyou:

Just thaw them out and you're all set to begin cooking with them.
    Here's a recipe that I love!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3813-shrimptastic-fettuccine-hungry-girlfredo

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    toss them in hot olive oil with some kosher salt, pepper flakes and cook til hot.
    Heat up some refried beans and cook up some onions and peppers and wrap all in a wheat or sprout tortilla.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    put shrimp in a bowl with chopped garlic, olive oil, parsley and lemon juice. Put all ingredients in a pan with some chicken stock to get a nice sauce and all the flavors combined (while doing this have pasta boiling) when pasta is almost completely done , drain, and add it to the pan with the shrimp, toss, ( I added some asparagus, canned) let the sauce thicken a little (you can even make it saucier with adding a little of the pasta water) and some parmigiana reggiano and Voila! bellissimo! delicious!
    I made this the other night. It was really good, and I had it for lunch yesterday, and still have another serving for lunch tomorrow!

(oh, buy the way, put the shrimp in a colander with cold water running on it, or in a bowl of cold water till they're not frozen anymore, and then I take the tails off and cut them up in biteable pieces. I hate having whole shrimp in the pasta.)
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My fave on a day when I have a little extra calories, warm them up, cook a 1/2 cup of whole wheat pasta, steam fave veggies (I do broccoli, cauliflower and snow peas) and whip up a low cal alfredo dressing with a little spice and enjoy.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    One of the first things I do with shrimp is soak them in water for about 12 hours. It tends to clean out the mudvains that run through their backs if they aren't devained.

From there, I'm pretty simple.. usually. Toss them in a little lemon juice, and then sprinkle them with old bay or lemon pepper. Then put them on a grill. Simple, fast, and really tastey.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    if they are already cooked, thaw them and baste with teriyaki sauce and skewer them and put on the grill to heat through. You can do the same if they aren't cooked they just take longer to cook. they turn pink, watch them so you don't over cook them. Yummy
  • DFaulk80
    DFaulk80 Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow I love shrimp and I'm glad I bumped into this post. My mouth is watery right now but I'm not going to break my diet.

9806.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter