Weight gain on a camping trip : (

Options
I just gained back my 5lb loss, while on a camping trip : (

I don't understand I was very active every day and had low cal shakes about every other day .... but had some poor food choices while on the road. I know where I went wrong but I thought that the amount of exercise I was getting would be enough to balance me out. I did not expect to gain 5lbs. Sooo sad : (

Now I am starting all over again.

Any advice

Replies

• melissa10666
    Options
    If you ate a lot of high-salt foods then some of the weight gain could be water retention
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It may be largely water weight. A lot of the foods we eat when traveling are very high in sodium. If that's the case, it should come back off fairly quickly.

I recently went on a five-day field trip with a bunch of high schoolers, which meant lots of pizza. When I got home, the scale was back up 4-5 pounds. A week later, though, it was all gone again, so don't freak out!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple of days back on your normal routine. I camp frequently in the summer and almost always go up a pound or 2 over the weekend. Just being off your normal routine can make your body retain water.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate around 17,500 calories on top of your TDEE, it's water weight fluxuations. Don't stress, it'll go back down. Weight loss isn't linear; our bodies adjust daily due to salt/carb intake and maaaany other factors.
  • rainbowbrite1979
    Options
    I've been there, done that! Sorry about your gain. From MY experience, when you return to your healthy routine at home, the weight will usually come off a bit faster than it did before since your body is realizing that you didn't decide to throw in the towel. I recently went to San Diego to visit my friend and gained like 7 pounds, so I feel your pain. The weight will come back off, though. Just don't give up. :)
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. Went on a 6 day fishing trip and gained some weight. Tried to eat healthy but blew it somewhere, ate out some? Hang in there and don't quit camping.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    How far did you travel? I have water retention just from long car rides. Plus like others said. Most of it is water retention from high sodium food.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    In addition unless you go camping every weekend during the summer don't beat yourself up for enjoying yourself. This is a lifestyle change so you need to have fun and enjoy life sometimes.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Camping is good for you, all that fresh air and opportunity for long hikes!! Don't blame the camping!

Try to plan for some healthier food options next time, and above all else... don't panic! It'll most likely come off again quickly and you'll be better preared next time if you learn from your mistakes! :drinker:
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    In addition unless you go camping every weekend during the summer don't beat yourself up for enjoying yourself. This is a lifestyle change so you need to have fun and enjoy life sometimes.

While that's true, if she did gain it from bad food choices (which I highly doubt, as posted), recommending that isn't good. That's how people get fat to begin with... ie: it's just one weekend.
  • lunchlady61
    lunchlady61 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago; did a lot of hiking for a weekend and came back 5 lbs. heavier. But as muscle builds it retains more water. Give it a week and you should be back to where you started.
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate around 17,500 calories on top of your TDEE, it's water weight fluxuations. Don't stress, it'll go back down. Weight loss isn't linear; our bodies adjust daily due to salt/carb intake and maaaany other factors.

^^^^What he said.
    Only thing I would add, when I go camping the idea of using pit toilets leaves me a bit constipated. Eat a lot of fiber and you'll get rid of that weight preaty fast.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've been there, done that! Sorry about your gain. From MY experience, when you return to your healthy routine at home, the weight will usually come off a bit faster than it did before since your body is realizing that you didn't decide to throw in the towel. I recently went to San Diego to visit my friend and gained like 7 pounds, so I feel your pain. The weight will come back off, though. Just don't give up. :)

I've had the same experience. Just jump right back into your good habits and this should be just a little bump in the road....
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You are all right.!
    I am back on track and loosing the extra weight very quickly.
    Thanks everybody.