Idea's for nonrefridgerated, low calorie travel breakfasts?

Options
Ideals for non refridgerated/ non cook breakfasts?

I have been struggling on the semi to eat healthy and I am slowly getting lunch and dinner figured out, but breakfast is a struggle.

I like bringing cereal... but the only milk at gas stations is 2 percent or fatter :/. I tried various box breakfasts, donuts (BAD!), which were mostly to fattening.

I tried some cereal bars and they left me hungry.. and the same result with fruits.

I have a cooler, but it ONLY stay's cool for 1-2 days and we are gone 3, sometimes 4. I have no way to heat things up except a small portable stove, but it takes forever to warm up; like an hour, and that's fine for lunch, starting it early.. but usually wanting breakfast pretty much after I wake up.

Being in the semi all day and not being able to move, I tend to think of food and want to snack alot, so I try to eat small bits at a time, I can find 100 calorie snacks, but I was hoping for a filling breakfast 200-400 (prefer around 200 though)... any ideas?

Replies

• kimdt74
    kimdt74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't travel often, but when my family did a few weeks ago I took Emeralds Breakfast on the Go, cereal bars that had extra protein and fiber, and fruit. A couple other ideas is nuts, peanut butter and whole wheat bread, and maybe boiled eggs for the first day or two where you could keep them cool.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you toast bread how long does it taste good for? If I fried and egg and kept it in the cooler seperate the toast.. if I made a sandwich the second day would it still taste OK?
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Protein bars or cereal bars are the only thing I can think of. Or maybe bread with peanut butter? Not very exciting, I know!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat bagel with lowfat cream cheese, and just a little drizzle of honey. the cream cheese can keep really well in a cooler and the bagels dont need to be chilled.
  • kimdt74
    kimdt74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't think the toast would taste good after it had sit, but I like mine crunchy. You could also try string cheese sticks for the days you could keep it cold. We took cheese in a baggie on our trip and water got in the bag and we had to throw all of it away. I had put honeydew melon in a bowl with a tight lid and was fine for a few days. My father in law drives a semi and I understand it would be hard to eat healthy while on the road.
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Maybe instant oatmeal if you have access to hot water. fiber one bars are my go to for a quick breakfast...they seem to keep me full for a while
  • dylankaleo
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dylan.

I would run into the same problems as you when I attend college classes in the morning. I brought lots of fiber bars, granola, dried fruit, bananas, apples, and something else that I am looking to try for next semester; rice cakes with peanut butter! Breakfast is key to starting out your day right, you want quick and slow release energy,IE carbs/sugars, and protein. The carbs and sugars will give you that little kick start that everyone needs in the morning, protein will make it so you don't have a sugar crash, and will tide you over to your next meal. The lives we live don't really leave us room to eat how we should, technically the biggest meal we should eat in the day is breakfast!

So to clarify my usual breakfast for school days?
    -Fruit
    -Granola/Fiber Bar
    -Rice cake/peanut butter sandwich
    And I always bring a little extra in case I'm still hungry!

I hope this helps =)

-Dylan
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I use a bar with sufficient protein. The 'cereal bars' usually don't have much, I think. Another option is nuts with dried fruit. The nuts have the fat and protein to keep you fuller than fruit alone. And there are a lot of fruit/nut bars, too. Cheaper to buy in bulk, though, and just eat some nuts and dried fruit. But be careful with nut portions as they're calorie dense.