Feeling really discouraged....

Options
According to my scale I went from 229 to 232 this week. I hate trying to say "oh it's water weight, too much sodium" because I honestly tried to avoid sodium as best I could.

I did everything right. I hate healthy options, drank lots of water, did excercise. Hell I probably excercised more this week than I ever do.

I do take medication for my thyroid, and I knew it would be harder for me because of it, but I still feel like this is just too much. How could I have gained 3 lbs? I feel like I'm just battling the same 3-4 lbs over and over and over again.

Replies

• cjrunner80
    cjrunner80 Posts: 14
    Options
    I know the feeling. I have been dealing with the same 5-8 pounds for months. I lost it a while ago, and they came back and I can't seem to get back down where I want. I was 247 and now I am 255, and I can't get back down under 250. I can't figure out if it is the foods I am eating, or that I just plateau and need to start exercising again.

I am thinking of reevaluating what I am eating, and going to see if it has anything to do with that. It's great that you are drinking a lot of water, I was, but I have not lately. It will work though. You can do it. Maybe look into what you are eating, and see if you are eating a lot of one food. I think that is my problem.

Good Luck!!! Friend request welcomed.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Don't be too discouraged. You know in your head the scale fluctuates! This is a long term gig and you are moving in the right direction.

I was only weighing every 4 weeks with my trainer as i didn't have a scale. Now i've bought one and am determined to step on it only on Fridays - one day per week max. Still it goes a little up, a little down. But the 4 week weigh-ins with my trainer are STILL moving in the right direction.

The scale is evil. Go for a walk or lift some weights to take your mind off of it's evil presence in your life!
  • Rhiannon723
    Options
    I am in the same boat, got on the scale this morning and went up another pound, everyday for the past 3 days this has happened. I have been doing 30DS and on my days off doing a good 40-60 minute cardio session. It is so frustrating, I have not gone ovwr onn my calories and have drank my water!!!!! Frustrated!!!
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, sometimes that happens to everyone. It seems like for 3-4 weeks I had the same issue recently. I just kept doing what I was doing and knowing that eventually the scale would move and I would see the results of my hard work. In the last couple of weeks the scale has been on the move. One thing that got the scale moving down again was eating as many fresh vegetables, fruits and other foods I could. Avoid a lot of processed foods - not good for you. Also, make sure you eat your exercise calories. I tried it both ways. I decided to leave a few hundred calories over at the end of the day for a couple of weeks - I didn't lose any weight at that time. I started eating the calories again and the scale moved down. It doesn't work for me if I don't eat those exercise calories. You can add me as a friend if you would like. Hang in there!
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    are you close to starting your period cause that's almost a guaranteed 5 pounds for me..

just stay focused and stay on track. it will come off and you'll be happy you pushed through it.

Good Luck!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Okay, my weight could swing 5 lbs. in either direction depending on TOM or if I ate too much sodium or whatever. I try to weigh once a week. As long as it's going in the right direction (down), that's what matters. Honestly though, I agree with OP in that the scale is evil so I try to pay attention to body fat. Especially if you're lifting weights, the scale will not accurately reflect progress. Do you know what your body fat is? I'd go by that IMO.
  • ruberry66
    ruberry66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Funny I should run across your post as I feel the same way! I've exercised harder this week than I have in 3 yrs and have watched my diet and today I get on the scale and I'm up a little.... arghhhh!!

I have lost and gained the same 5lbs over and over and it really upsets me - we just have to keep at it.

Just don't give up - continue what you are doing and it will happen, I promise!!
  • xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    Options
    don't give up! if you worked out really hard this past week it really could be all your muscles just recovering and so yes its water weight. keep doing what you're doing and you'll see it start dropping...
  • jbl0233
    jbl0233 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you are feeling. Let me ask you a few questions. Did you write down every single thing you ate? and did you drink 8 glasses of water every day? I really believe these are the "secrets" to losing. If you don't journal every thing, no matter how small, it is surprising how the amount can add up. And if you did do these things and still gained , then just forget last week and start over today. You have lost 16 pounds and that is great. We know it is tough, but it's something we want to accomplish. So we just keep on doing the best we can. Good luck.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    Okay, someone may have said this already, but just in case I didn't just miss it skimming through the replies: When you exercise, it causes slight inflammation in the muscles (or not so slight, when you're really sore!). That inflammation, like any other, signals your body to increase blood flow in that area and keep extra fluid there. Extra fluid=water retention, even if your sodium is low.

Also, muscle is denser than fat. If you burned a pound of fat but added two pounds of muscle, then you'll weigh more, but have a healthier body composition. That's why it's recommended that you also take measurements and/or pay attention to how your clothes are fitting, instead of just trusting the scale. The scale does not tell the whole story.

Also, if you are not consuming a net of at least 1200 calories a day (and it may be higher for some women), then your body may go into what's commonly referred to on here as "famine mode"--which slows down your metabolism, so that you gain weight even though you're eating less. Net calories=calories consumed-calories burned during exercise. You don't have to eat back all your exercise calories, but you do need to eat back at least that much. It's okay if you're below for one day, or possibly even two, but a few hours into the third day is when your body starts deciding this is a regular thing. If you're right at 1200 calories a day, you might want to consider upping to 1400 or even 1600.

If none of that works, look into calorie cycling. I keeps your body guessing about how much you're going to give it each day, and many people have found that that keeps their metabolism higher, and their weight coming off faster than a steady daily diet of X calories per day.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I floated between 260-264 for almost 2 months. Im fairly sure I only went over 1-2 days during that time frame if I went over at all. Plus I was putting in 200-400 mins of walking with mild jogging each week. There are so many factors to why you gain a few lbs. What finally got me rolling in the right direction was I started to jog more and pushed myself harder during my walks (or basically change from my normal routine). Its going to happen, but if it happens a few weeks in a row then I would be concerned. Maybe its time to change up your routine. I get on the scale each morning and Ive seen my weight go up almost 6 lbs one week. Then by weigh in day I still managed to lose a lb or 2.
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    In my journey of losing over 100lbs and keeping it off for over 3 years now you just have to accept that these things happen. I often tried to blame it on sodium and perhaps that was the issue but sometimes, just like with you now, an anomalous weight reading happens that makes you want to throw in the towel.

Don't do it! Believe me, next week or the week after, if you keep to it, the scale will equalize and even pay you back for what you missed this week. For instance, if you were supposed to lose 2 lbs a week and you gained 3. You will lose 5 next week and you may only think it was an average week for you...

Sometimes the body just retains water, muscles were a bit overworked or feel like they just want to hold onto more liquid--just remember it's not fat--it physically can't be if your diet is correct!
  • cmbalint
    cmbalint Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    have you taken tour measurements?Are You gaining muscle?Don't get discouraged if your doing the things you need to it will happen
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the support. I didn't know about the inflammation from recovering muscles. That may explain it. I've worked my muscles harder this week than ever before.
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can't go by the scale, you have to go by how you feel. As you exercise you will become more toned which may not mean a loss of weight but a loss of inches. If you don't already have one it's a good idea to buy a measuring tape.
  • bga008
    bga008 Posts: 90
    Options
    muscle?
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I always seem to gain up to 5 lbs every time I start exercising. I have learned that is just what happens to my body, but it is discouraging especially when you belong to a weight loss group and alls they go by is what the scale tells them. :(
    I have noticed my watch turning more and I am pulling up my jeans more. I also feel better about myself for working harder. Those are the things I have to remember and quit letting the scale tell me I am not going anywhere so I may as well just eat what I want.
    Hang in there and keep up the good work!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss

This website has lots of articles that can explain weight fluctuation. Some of the articles get a lot more in depth than I would like, but if you make it through them it does help explain why you may not see the results you want as quickly as you want.

This one is my favorite, if only for the title "Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat": http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Just remember that one pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories. Unless you are seriously misjudging your calorie intake, there is no way it is all fat. And also remember that your muscles will swell and retain water as you exercise.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep it up.