Frustrated Newbie W/ questions

Options
I decided a month ago it was time to make some lifestyle changes & lose weight. I started running first until I hurt my knee & now I've been doing exercise videos in my living room. I started with a 1500 calorie diet & after no results bumped down to a 1200 calorie diet. I've been doing really well with that & try to exercise at least 4 times a week. I'm still not really seeing results. Myfitnesspal shows that I've lost 3 lbs, which is a little deceiving because I gained 2 lbs in the beginning & lost them right away. It's counting those two lbs as lbs lost.

Here's the questions
If I workout & earn extra calories, should I be eating those or using them as my deficit?
I was looking at my charts & it shows a weekly deficit, should that weekly deficit be 3500 if I want to lose a pound a week?
I'm not much of a water drinker, (never really have been a big fluid drinker during thd day) I've heard that if I drink more water, the weight will start falling off. Is this true?
I eat a lot of pre packaged meals like lean cuisine, which are high in sodium. Could this be contributing to my weight not changing?
Everyone keeps saying, don't worry you're building muscle & that's why your weight isnt changing. How long could this statement even hold true. Eventually that "muscle I'm building" has to start helping me lose weight, right?

I'm really growing quite frustrated with this. I don't expect overnight results, but I do expect some results. I'm trying my hardest to trust that the science is there & that eventually it will work. But I can't help thinking I'm doing something wrong.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I made my log public so you can see it. I also have pics on my profile if you want to see to look for changes.
I am 31 years old
5'3"
Forever 129 lbs

Replies

• andrew109
    andrew109 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be careful with this one - this is where you need balance. At your age height and if you are wanting wieght loss, I think you should be around a 1500 calorie diet. You should still be eating part of what your exercise gives you back - if not, you are "starving" your body and it will store fat instead of burn it. Water is HUGE - you need to stay hydrated, the high sodium in pre-packaged meals is a killer - avoid them if you can. Make sure you are using some sort of a recovery fluid - I use protein shakes(powders you can pick up anywhere) after your workouts and if your knees are hurting - maybe you need different shoes? Recommended for workout videos are cross-trainers instead of running shoes - I do the Insanity videos and my wife does the Biggets Loser on the Wii - I haven't had any issues in my running shoes, but stabiolity is a must for those types of exercises. And yes - Your muscle that you build will definitely burn the fat. If you want to make sure it is doing something, track your measurements, not your weight. Keep it up and hang in there.
  • pavanneh
    pavanneh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great Response Andrew. As you gain muscle you may gain weight at first too. It is best to use measurements and how you fit in your clothes to notice the best results sometimes. The scale is really not reliable for this sometimes.
  • xipow
    xipow Posts: 58
    Options
    I find that I eat a portion of my exercise calories. It depends on how hungry I am. I do not want to feel hungry as that leads to a binge. You want to eat clean, highly nutritious food, that is calorie sparse to feel full. It takes time and weight loss comes in spurts rater than at a consistent rate.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Heh, there are lots of topics on the forums that debate these questions and I'm no trained expert but I'll give you the info I have learnt so far :)

1. I would yes, you need to maintain something called your BMR (basal metabolic rate) which will ensure your body continues to function correctly and still lose the weight. You can find this number at sites like: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ don't eat below the BMR number, and many say eat BMR + 200 :)

2. In theory yes

3. Drinking more water will allow your body to release more that is stored in the cells of your body. This is a contentious point though, some people drink hardly any, some drink loads. Just make sure your urine is light coloured and doesn't smell.

4. Probably yes, excess sodium will cause your body to keep water - principles of osmosis ;) see above point ^^

5. The weight you're keeping isn't going to be muscle, unless you're genetically gifted. It's more likely to be water that your muscles are holding onto to repair themselves having being used more than before. And yes, muscle requires more energy per Ib than fat to maintain, so in theory you'd be burning more. But ofc your weight will have gone down, as will the energy requirements of your body....so.....it's all about balance :)

Hope that helped, I'm sure someone much more knowledgable than me will come and tidy up my statements :)
  • jedwards27
    jedwards27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok it sounds like I need to
    1. Intensify my workouts to start burning more calories.
    2. Stop eating lean cuisines & other canned/pre packaged foods
    3. Drink more water

Hopefully then I'll start seeing more results.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    And eat enough! :P

Good luck :)
  • susiesweets
    Options
    What Andrew and PU239 Said they are both good answers!

Just don't feel discouraged when starting out. Try changing things up in your diet a little add some more fresh unprocessed meals instead of the frozen " Health Foods". I find that most of those frozen foods really aren't that satisfying and are loaded with calories compared to something you could make at home. (Pasta is a delicious devil best served warm and saucey or rice warm and buttery) You'll get there! It's not easy and it's certainly not always fun but over time you'll see results just make sure you eat enough (should always be over 1200 calories) so your body can make those lovely muscles you're trying to build. You can do this! Hang in there!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    3. Drink more water

You forgot the most important one.

Eat more.

Haven't you already proved going lower was not the answer. Exercising more to cause even less for the body to use is the same as eating even less.

Eat more than 1500, that was probably too drastic a cut from what you used to eat and scared your body, and/or it is too low in general.

What did you used to eat daily as calories with previous life?
  • ttillman19
    ttillman19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jedwards27
    Options
    You forgot the most important one.

Eat more.

Haven't you already proved going lower was not the answer. Exercising more to cause even less for the body to use is the same as eating even less.

Eat more than 1500, that was probably too drastic a cut from what you used to eat and scared your body, and/or it is too low in general.

What did you used to eat daily as calories with previous life?

Oh, probably 2-3 times the calories I eat now.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    *snip*
    I am 31 years old
    5'3"
    Forever 129 lbs

Also realize at this weight, pounds are not going to "fall off." Focus more on hitting your macros and body fat%.
  • jedwards27
    Options
    Also realize at this weight, pounds are not going to "fall off." Focus more on hitting your macros and body fat%.

At this point I think I would throw a party if I hit and stayed at 127! :laugh:
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Your weekly deficit should not show 3500! If you hit your target you are on point because MFP already includes your deficit. That would actually mean you have a 7000 calorie deficit, assuming you have it set at 1 lb, which I'm sure you don't because you are on 1200. If your weekly chart says you are at a 3500 deficit on top of MFP's 7000 deficit built in for you... Sounds like you're severely under-eating. How many calories a day do you average?
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I will try to give you a few ideas as to what might be going on, but everyone has to experiment to find what is working for their body.

Diet. You do eat some healthy foods, and there is room for improvement. I would slowly change over the processed meals with real food. If you like meal salads, try taco salads with cottage cheese instead of sour cream, and fresh mashed avocado and salsa. I add hot scrambled lean beef or chicken mixed with sauted (in broth) onion garlic, grated carrot. Sprinkle with a little cheese and garnish with a small amount of corn chips..... SO filling. Just learn a new meal a week.

Now to the calorie eating question. This one is where you get confusing answers. Simple solution, let MFP do the calculations. When you fill out the settings, make sure you don't over estimate you daily activity level. Seditary is a safe bet if you add in all your exercise.
    Then choose your weight loss speed. For you, because you are close to your goal weight, should be at the -1/week. If you choose to go to the -2/week then MFP will have set you at your highest deficit, and you should eat the calories that are set for you as well as your exercise calories. (there is a little wiggle room if you have a yourself set at -1/week, then I would eat back half your exercise calories.)

The big question you need to ask yourself is do I want my body to get used to surviving on low calories and make it harder to lose weight in the future. If you do that you will be running on fumes, feeling tired because your body will be lacking the energy to move. You will also not be getting enough nutrients that make your skin and hair shine, your gums healthy, your muscles strong, and you brain to function.

If you want all the benefits that come with a healthy body, then give it lots of water, good food, and daily exercise. Healthy looks and sounds so much more intelligent than skinny and low on blood sugar.
  • jedwards27
    Options
    If I add more calories, what types of foods do you suggest that I start incorporating into my diet?

I've been 1200 for a few weeks now, so I've gotten used to it. I don't want to just throw in ice cream or other not so good for me things just to reach my calorie goal. I don't feel hungry anymore with 1200 calories, it seems to suit me.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    3. Drink more water

I would eat around 1500 calories if I were you, especially on your work out days.
  • jedwards27
    Options
    Your weekly deficit should not show 3500! If you hit your target you are on point because MFP already includes your deficit. That would actually mean you have a 7000 calorie deficit, assuming you have it set at 1 lb, which I'm sure you don't because you are on 1200. If your weekly chart says you are at a 3500 deficit on top of MFP's 7000 deficit built in for you... Sounds like you're severely under-eating. How many calories a day do you average?

It's not 3500, that was just a question I had, to see if it should. But now that you've explained I understand that this is already calculated into it. Last week it was 449 under my weekly goal.

I eat between 1200-1400 average each day. My diary is public, you are more than welcome to take a peek if you would like.
  • jedwards27
    Options

Oh and MFP has me at .8 lbs a week at 1200 calories.
    If I bump it up to .5 lbs a week it only jumps me up to 1340 calories.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    If I add more calories, what types of foods do you suggest that I start incorporating into my diet?

I've been 1200 for a few weeks now, so I've gotten used to it. I don't want to just throw in ice cream or other not so good for me things just to reach my calorie goal. I don't feel hungry anymore with 1200 calories, it seems to suit me.

Good point, icecream would not help. Avocado is great brain and skin food. Raw nuts and seeds are also in this catigory. Even a healthy peanut butter is a good way to add calories, (natural, no sugar added)

Or for that desert craving try this: blueberries frozen or fresh, (if they are frozen heat them in the microwave till hot, top with cold greek yogurt, and sprinkle with a healthy granola. It is the best desert ever :)
  • ttillman19
    ttillman19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am newer at this too, but here are some things I noticed.

1: Take photos once a month at all angles.
    2: Look at the photos: I see that your arms are more toned, your getting more of an hour-glass shape through the midsection, and the mid section seems to have moved muscle away from fat (for lack of better terminology).
    3: I only see an occasional diet coke or milk. If you are not drinking water, what are you drinking. You should be counting your liquid calories also and that could be part of the problem.
    4: Instead of Mayo try hummas.
    5: The packaged granola bars have a lot of sugar.
    6: Instead of rice cakes for a snack try almods, eggs, or another protein.
    7: Try to eat cleaner=more fresh fruits and veggies. You can make bigger batches of food and freeze it into "microwave" dinners.