Finding it difficult to drink a lot of water

Options
Legals81
Legals81 Posts: 81 Member
I'm finding it really difficult to drink a lot of water. The most I seem to be able to get down is about 4-5 cups a day, I know thats not much. I just dont seem to be thirsty. Im just wondering how much water should I be drinking a day and how do people manage to get it down. All tips appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Drink some herbal tea :)
  • Shadom
    Shadom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I carry a 1Litre bottle of water to work each day. I take sips until it is finished. Maybe you are trying to take a full glass each time. Drinking water helps to control the appetite. Don't wait until you are thirsty. Just take sips. 4-5 cups is not bad anyway. Hope this helps.
  • Getmy1back
    Options
    I put something low / zero-calories into it. I don't know what your issue is with water, but mine is definitely flavor--or, the lack thereof, I should say. So Mio, Crystal Light, fresh lemon juice, a teaspoon of sugar, etc. is crucial for me to get water down. The only exception is if I'm working out to the point of being drenched in sweat, or I'm really hot. Then I can drink water 'straight', if you will. Hope this helps!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It's usually recommended to drink half your body weight in ounces of water. So if you your 150lbs that is 75oz of water. I found that once I started drinking the water, the more my body craves it. I have a 52oz container that I carry everywhere with me and sip from it all day long. I now drink two of them in a day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    You get water from everything you drink....even caffeinated bevs. Apples, lettuce, a lot of food has a lot of liquid. You can go to MayoClinic.com, or any medical site and you will see you are fine. It doesn't have to be straight water.

However, I've learned to really embrace water. It makes me feel so much better. I drink half my weight in ounces of plain water daily.

Try carrying a bottle with you and always have one on the table or desk when you are sitting. When it's empty, refill it right away.
  • Boston_Jon
    Boston_Jon Posts: 24
    Options
    what size are your 4 or 5 cups? you are recommended to drink 8 8oz glasses of water a day. A standard poland springs 16.9 water bottle I count as 2 cups.
  • Legals81
    Options
    Thanks Guys, I have no real issue with the taste of water and Im lucky to live in a area where I can safely drink tap water. Will try to bring a litre bottle of water to work with me and see how I get on and maybe work up to a 2ltr bottle.
    Im afraid I dont know volume by oz's but i'll work it out in metric.

Thanks for all your advice.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys, I have no real issue with the taste of water and Im lucky to live in a area where I can safely drink tap water. Will try to bring a litre bottle of water to work with me and see how I get on and maybe work up to a 2ltr bottle.
    Im afraid I dont know volume by oz's but i'll work it out in metric.

Thanks for all your advice.

2 liters is about 8 cups. But really you just need about 8 cups of fluid a day so if you're already taking in 4-5 cups of water as well as juice/coffee/tea/milk etc you're probably not thirsty because you don't need more fluid.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I put something low / zero-calories into it. I don't know what your issue is with water, but mine is definitely flavor--or, the lack thereof, I should say. So Mio, Crystal Light, fresh lemon juice, a teaspoon of sugar, etc. is crucial for me to get water down. The only exception is if I'm working out to the point of being drenched in sweat, or I'm really hot. Then I can drink water 'straight', if you will. Hope this helps!

You should try to cut back on it until you don't need it anymore. Crystal Light really isn't any goof for you, I don't know anything about Mio but I'm sure it's the same.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think the standard is 8 per day so maybe aim for that 1 st. you say you are not thirsty but my bet is you are but don't recognize the signals. when we dont drink enough our body will send thirst signals as hunger as food does contain water. so my suggestion would be to drink water before you eat a snack to see if you are truly hungry. I know many people find adding lemon or lime or other fruits to water appealing, give that a try. personally I don't go that route. I drink it iced straight up. I drink a glass upon waking, fill my sports mug for a walk 2 -3 cups, 2 - 3 more before work( I work 2nd) then 1 cup at each of 2 breaks, with trips to drinking fountain between and another glass when I get home. so for me that is at least 8-10. on weekends it is generally more. so bottom line drink it anyway. plus you didn't say if you were drinking other beverages such as soda or coffee. if you are then cut back or eliminate the soda and replace with water.
  • Legals81
    Options
    I think the standard is 8 per day so maybe aim for that 1 st. you say you are not thirsty but my bet is you are but don't recognize the signals. when we dont drink enough our body will send thirst signals as hunger as food does contain water. so my suggestion would be to drink water before you eat a snack to see if you are truly hungry. I know many people find adding lemon or lime or other fruits to water appealing, give that a try. personally I don't go that route. I drink it iced straight up. I drink a glass upon waking, fill my sports mug for a walk 2 -3 cups, 2 - 3 more before work( I work 2nd) then 1 cup at each of 2 breaks, with trips to drinking fountain between and another glass when I get home. so for me that is at least 8-10. on weekends it is generally more. so bottom line drink it anyway. plus you didn't say if you were drinking other beverages such as soda or coffee. if you are then cut back or eliminate the soda and replace with water.

No, I am intelligent enough to recognise the difference between hunger and thirst,.
    I dont drink any soft drinks or juice. I drink one coffee in the morning.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    what size are your 4 or 5 cups? you are recommended to drink 8 8oz glasses of water a day. A standard poland springs 16.9 water bottle I count as 2 cups.
    You're a little confused, I think. The recommendation is to drink 8 cups (not glasses) of water a day. A cup is 8 ounces; a glass is a drinking vessel. You don't need to ask what size a cup is.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon+ a day. Usually about 120-135 ounces of just water, and sometimes I have a can of seltzer with lunch and dinner and I usually have a few cups of tea day too.
  • nurserae7
    nurserae7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I made a comittment to myself to drink one full water bottle in the morning as soon as I wake up before I'm "allowed" a cup of coffee. Well, I want my coffee!!!!!! Sooooooo I get one water bottle drank (which mine holds three actually cups of water) before anything else. That has helped.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Drink ALL the waters!!!1
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You're a little confused, I think. The recommendation is to drink 8 cups (not glasses) of water a day. A cup is 8 ounces; a glass is a drinking vessel. You don't need to ask what size a cup is.

LOL, I see nothing wrong with the phrase "8 oz. glass" of water. It's a pretty standard visual. Most of us drink out of glasses and 8 oz. is an amount.

That said, the whole "8x8" thing has been debunked. All of us need something different and most of us get plenty of fluids across a day, through our foods and beverages. If your urine isn't cloudy or dark, you're fine. Listen to your body. No other animal counts out water ounces and they don't die of thirst when water is plentiful, or suffer dehydration.