What are the "rules" for 30 day shred?

Options
I have been reading a ton of references about the 30-day shred, so I ordered from Amazon and did Level one for the first time last night.

From what I have read on this site, people do level 1 every day for 10 days, then move to level 2 for 10 days, then level 3 for 10 days.

How did you know to do this? I didn't see anything on the DVD about doing it every day, or to do for 10 days before moving on. I know that people can do whatever "feels right", but where did the 10-day thing come from (like I said, it seems like that is how people are doing it)?

Also, I don't see how people could lose 20 pounds in 30 days by working out for 20 minutes a day. I didn't see any recommendations on the DVD about diet changes or extra cardio. I'm not really looking to lose weight on this as I am near my goal, but I just feel like I am missing part of the program.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I did Level 1 for 5 days, Level 2 for 15 days and Level 3 for 10 days. It's all a matter of preference and when you want to move to the next level. The 10 day thing came from people taking the 30 days and the 3 levels and dividing them up evenly.

Some people lose more weight than others, it also depends on your eating habits. I lost more inches than I did weight, because I gained muscle. The 20 minute workout is straight intense working out, no breaks, unless needed.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    On the DVD menu under recommendations or something it tells you the 10 day thing i believe. And also, for people who have a lot of weight to lose it is very possible to lose 20 pounds. It isn't an easy workout as you move on.. I only have about 10 pounds total to lose so I didn't lose but a few pounds, but i lost inches and toned. And if you go online to the website on the back of the box, there is a mean plan. Hope this helps. Good luck!!
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    let me know how you like it! i'm starting 30DS after p9ox
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    let me know how you like it! i'm starting 30DS after p9ox

30DS is very very very basic compared to P90X. It will feel like taking a step backward because it's more of a beginner oriented program. To someone who has gone through P90X it definitely won't be sufficient.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anything on the DVD either. Plus, I've read from MANY people online that Jillian Michaels stated in an interview that she never intended that workout to be done daily (like many people do it). She intended it to be about 3 times a week, but 30 workout days (so 10 weeks). I couldn't find that interview online anywhere to verify though.

I tried it, got to day 9 and then hurt myself. I was out for 2 weeks. Not worth it. I haven't been back to that workout since, though I might do it again sometime. But only 3 times a week instead of every day.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    JM actually recommends this schedule:

2 days 30DS
    1 day cardio
    2 days 30DS
    1 day cardio
    1 day rest

Repeat...I did this with level one and it worked well.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options

30DS is very very very basic compared to P90X. It will feel like taking a step backward because it's more of a beginner oriented program. To someone who has gone through P90X it definitely won't be sufficient.

Not necessarily. I did P90X and now I'm doing 30DS, and for the amount of time that JM makes you work I feel like I did when I was doing P90X. It really comes down to what you want out of the work out. She recommends 3-8lb hand weights, after doing P90X this is way to light for me, so I use 20-25lbs weights. I also follow the advanced version (Natalie is the girl doing the advanced, so I follow her).

I do enjoy 30DS because its only 30mins, I don't have the time to do 60-90mins workout like with P90X.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. I did P90X and now I'm doing 30DS, and for the amount of time that JM makes you work I feel like I did when I was doing P90X. It really comes down to what you want out of the work out. She recommends 3-8lb hand weights, after doing P90X this is way to light for me, so I use 20-25lbs weights. I also follow the advanced version (Natalie is the girl doing the advanced, so I follow her).

I do enjoy 30DS because its only 30mins, I don't have the time to do 60-90mins workout like with P90X.

I highly recommend that at this point you try to put together your own program. After going through a round of P90X you should have gained enough fundamental fitness knowledge to be able to put together a program for yourself that's better than 30DS. That's what I did.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I just got the DVD yesterday and did the first workout last night and had a similar question about the program.
    I didn't see anything on the DVD either. Plus, I've read from MANY people online that Jillian Michaels stated in an interview that she never intended that workout to be done daily (like many people do it). She intended it to be about 3 times a week, but 30 workout days (so 10 weeks). I couldn't find that interview online anywhere to verify though.

I didn't think doing the same workout every day was good for anyone, so this makes sense.
    JM actually recommends this schedule:

2 days 30DS
    1 day cardio
    2 days 30DS
    1 day cardio
    1 day rest

Repeat...I did this with level one and it worked well.

Do you remember where you got this info?
  • Miss_E_
    Miss_E_ Posts: 45
    Options
    Well ive just finished day 10 of level 1 today, i will be starting level 2 on Monday, i have been and will carry on doing 30DS Mon - Fri, i then have a rest day Saturday and do zumba on Sunday, i also go to the gym on Mon Tue Thu and Fri, at the moment it feels like im working out all the time! and it is tough, i really look forward to my Saturdays, but! as for 30 DS working, all i can say is for 8 weeks i have been working out at the gym and have only lost 2lb in 8 weeks! this is the second week of doing 30 DS and weighed myself today and ive lost 2lb in 1 week! also my body is feels more toned, it really works. x
  • LoveLifeForever
    LoveLifeForever Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just decided to do Level 1 2 and 3 each for 10 days cuz i figured it out that since there are 3 levels...and 30 days to do it...that means equally it would be 10 days each for the three levels.