How does running/exercise affect your appetite?

Options
NaurielR
NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
I run three days a week (about six miles each times, sometimes more) and I find that on days that I run, my physical appetite barely increases, but my mental appetite (the voice that tells me to to eat because I'm bored, because it'll taste good, because why not?) drastically decreases. I don't really get "the munchies" on my running days. I feel great on those days, and I have to remind myself to eat enough.

Have any of you noticed that exercise has an effect on your appetite? I'm just curious

Replies

• onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I find the opposite, when I exercise I feel physically less hungry then when I bum around the house.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The days I run, I have virtually no appetite. The next day though, I am absolutely ravenous!!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am starving on my long run days!! In fact if I don't eat enough (and soon) I end up sleeping. A long run for me right now is 6 miles +.
  • thekatspjs
    thekatspjs Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It kills my appetite in the short term, but increases it after a day or so.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It used to make me super hungry but now it really doesn't affect me in anyway.
  • ipock
    ipock Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always say that when you're exercising, the benefits are threefold. You're burning calories, facilitating the release of endorphins/ feeling better about yourself, and your desire to eat crappy foods decreases significantly. I'm hungry a lot more when I'm running/lifting regularly, but I crave whole foods that function as fuel. When I'm sedentary and lazy, all I want to do is eat chips and pizza
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    when I run, I have the same thing as you. No appetite when bored, but physical hunger stays about the same. Still have to remind myself to eat though!
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    when I walk it suppresses my appetite but on long walks I kinda feel a bit hungry at the end but then again I suppose I should as it take me 3 hours and I cover 12 miles or so
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have no change in my appetite on the day, but the following day I could eat a horse!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It really depends. At first when I start getting for 4-5 miles, I would be ravenous. But as my milage has increased, I find I am just not at all hungry on days I have long runs. I ran 6.5 miles yesterday and ended up eating only about 1600 calories, putting me at about 1000 net calories for the day. I just have no appetite, especially for the hour or so after my run.

Usually the day after I tend to be more hungry though, so it balances out I think.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    If I exercise I find I have like no appetite at all....I still eat at least 5 times a day, but I love the energy:)
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Days I run I tend to eat more afterwards but I run at the crack of dawn as I wake up on a empty stomach.
  • swhite1209
    swhite1209 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I tried to diet before i didnt make it but a few days. This time I am about 2 weeks in and am not struggling at all. I walk every day. 3 1/2 miles in the am and in the pm. I do not feel the need to eat a lot. When I get bored I feel a slight twinge to eat because that has always been a habit for me. Now when i feel that, I get up and do something and it goes away. I am having trouble eating my 1200 on some days much less the extra calories i get from exercise. If I dont exercise I have no problem eating all of my1200 calories. So for me exercise is stopping me from wanting to eat.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I run three days a week (about six miles each times, sometimes more) and I find that on days that I run, my physical appetite barely increases, but my mental appetite (the voice that tells me to to eat because I'm bored, because it'll taste good, because why not?) drastically decreases. I don't really get "the munchies" on my running days. I feel great on those days, and I have to remind myself to eat enough.

Have any of you noticed that exercise has an effect on your appetite? I'm just curious

I know that I never feel like eating for an hour after running, give it another hour and I am usually starving though lol.

Apparently exercise is supposed to suppress appetite though.