Zumba

Options
I have just been to my first ever Zumba class and come home to recorded my calories and I'm shocked to find its not in the database. Does anyone have any idea how many calories you burn when doing an hours worth of zumba?

Replies

• bpientok
    bpientok Posts: 14
    Options
    It was in there! Hit exercise tab and under cardio, add exercise type in zumba! 60 min = 478calories!
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    I found a handy calc online for Zumba based on your weight and level of intensity... Just google cals burnt Zumba. First result I think. 32mins of high intensity was around 520 cals!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    many people use www.zumbacalories.com
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    As much as I love zumba, and I do it once a week, I find it hard to believe that you can loose 400+ cals pero class, so I log it as dance, aerobic, and the cals are more in the 200s range, which to me seems more realistic.

Next week I'll get my bodybugg, we'll se what that says .....
  • lacroyx
    Options
    As much as I love zumba, and I do it once a week, I find it hard to believe that you can loose 400+ cals pero class, so I log it as dance, aerobic, and the cals are more in the 200s range, which to me seems more realistic.

the heavier you are, the more you burn. I'm 312 and 1 hour I average 900-1200. I use a HRM.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    lacroix, its obviously working for you, so whatever you do, just keep doing it ;)

how much would MFP or that website say you are burning, does it match the HRM?
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    for me an hour around 750 calories - that's what my wii says (and I believe it)
  • skinyZ
    skinyZ Posts: 89 Member
    Options

^^ this is where i look
  • lacroyx
    Options
    lacroix, its obviously working for you, so whatever you do, just keep doing it ;)

how much would MFP or that website say you are burning, does it match the HRM?

when I use the www.zumbacalories and compare it to my Polar HRM, it's accurate within 100-150. for an example today I did 45 mins and my HRM says I burned 813. the website says 836
  • JennBunny73
    JennBunny73 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I tend to burn around 450 for a half hour of high intensity Zumba
  • zumbaabby
    zumbaabby Posts: 59
    Options

yep...use this!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you would really need to use a HRM to get a pretty accurate number for Zumba. The website zumbacalories.com, WAY overestimated it for me. I wear my HRM and burn between 400-600 for an hour, depending on the songs we do.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Yeah it all depends on your weight, thats why I liked using the Zumba Calculator to use mine, and the HRM is right on with that so for me it is pretty accurate!:) I burn 595 for an hr doing Zumba
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

This is wrong.. .I am pretty fit, low weight, and burn over 300 cals for a zumba class. Someone heavier would burn more calories.
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've worn my HRM for my last 3 Zumba classes and have burned about 500 +/- each time.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    perfect timing on this post today - as I just went to my first Zumba class in over a year!! Had a great time - used the zumbacalories.com site to figure mine out...not sure if it's right...my next investment is going to be a HRM so I can know for SURE what I'm doing...but for now, I'll go with this...

Thanks everyone!!