Insulin Resistance

Options
I have been using My Fitness Pal since the first of the year. I have wrote down everything I eat, built up to exercising 6 days a week for 30 minutes. I would lose a few pounds only to put it back on. I was told by my doctor last summer that I might be insulin resistance, but that was all the info that I was given. I decided with all my struggles with trying to lose weight, that I would do some research on my own. I have started reading about it and how to balance carbs and protein to keep the insulin level. Is there anyone else out there that is doing something similair?

Replies

• Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    Jana- I was diagnosed type 2 diabetes on March 7 of this year. Since then, I have been walking everyday as well as keeping track of what I eat. The goal I have read so far in terms of diabetes is 60 carbs per meal for a total of 180 a day. I have a bunch of weight to lose, but feel I am doing pretty good so far. I go back to the doctor this week Thursday to see how I have done for the past month.

From all I see, keeping carbs as low as possible is very key.

Good luck on your journey.

Steve
  • JanaB2011
    JanaB2011 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am reading Insulin Resistance Diet. It seems very practical. They are saying no more than 30 carbs per meal max and with every 15 carbs you eat, you need 7 protein to counteract those carbs. Today is day one in doing what they call Balanced Eating. I am interested in seeing if this will finally work or not. Good luck with your doc appt.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should clear this up with a doctor.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you should meet with your doctor again, or even a nutritionist (actually probably both) to further understand insulin resistance, and also to develop an eating plan to help you. How much / what you should eat varies from person to person based upon weight, etc...for example, my nutritionist gave me a goal of no more than 45 g of carbs per meal. I have insulin resistance issues...but as you can see, this number is different than what the other posters have been told...so for your own best results, I'd say get with a professional and work on a plan for you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should clear this up with a doctor.

This. I can't imagine that your doctor would suggest that you MIGHT be insulin resistant, and NOT look into it further. Insulin resistance is borderline diabetes!
  • JanaB2011
    JanaB2011 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have been trying to find a new doctor. I was told at first that I was prediabetic and to just take these meds. I told them no, I wanted to speak with the doctor first and make sure I understood everything. Then, she retested me and told me I wasn't but could be some insulin resistance issues. She was suppose to look into educating herself and getting back to me. Haven't heard anything. So, I decided to educate myself on the topic. My SIL is doing a similiar diet and went on it herself. Way more restrictive on carbs, which I think your body does need. But decided why not give it a try. I know I am a carb addict, which I think is the problem. But, this diet I just started tells you how to balance the carbs and protein. Not to restrict anything big time. Nothing like the Adkins or South Beach. You can have anything, just have to keep it balanced.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to find a new doctor. I was told at first that I was prediabetic and to just take these meds. I told them no, I wanted to speak with the doctor first and make sure I understood everything. Then, she retested me and told me I wasn't but could be some insulin resistance issues. She was suppose to look into educating herself and getting back to me. Haven't heard anything. So, I decided to educate myself on the topic. My SIL is doing a similiar diet and went on it herself. Way more restrictive on carbs, which I think your body does need. But decided why not give it a try. I know I am a carb addict, which I think is the problem. But, this diet I just started tells you how to balance the carbs and protein. Not to restrict anything big time. Nothing like the Adkins or South Beach. You can have anything, just have to keep it balanced.

I am all for a balanced diet, but you really need to be certain about your status with insulin before you begin any dietary changes.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Go see your Dr. and have them do blood work. There are "markers" that will determine if you are insulin resistant. If you are they will put you on Metformin or a medication similar and that will help you control your insulin.

Also, cut carbs a lot. I am only allowed 75 net per day max for my IR. I have lost almost 80 lbs in 5 months so what the Dr. put me on is working.

Don't self-diagnose and treat. IR can be a beginning stage of diabetes and if you catch this in time you might be able to stop or prolong that diagnosis.
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    Most doctors do not take many nutrition classes in college. But a doctor can order appropriate blood work and send you to a nutritionist.If you can see a nutritionist under your medical plan, have your doctor give you a referral. If you cannot afford to see a nutritionist, your library can lend you books about insulin resistance. In general, you need to be moderate in your carbohydrate consumption. Refined carbohydrates, like white sugar and white flour, go into your bloodstream very rapidly, causing your insulin to spike and handle it. If you then eat more carbs, your body will not be able to produce enough insulin to handle it immediately and you will crash. Then you will feel week, nervous, shaky, so you will want to eat more carbs to get energy. Vicious cycle, right? How to avoid it? When you eat carbohydrates, choose unrefined ones whenever possible., like whole grain breads and cereals, unpeeled whole fruits and vegetables. Low sugar or no sugar fruit spreads, canned fruits, yogurts. And eat them at the same time with protein, like peanut butter, boiled eggs, cheese or cold cooked chicken. The protein will slow down your digestion of the carbohydrates. And the unrefined, unprocessed carbs also take longer to digest, so you can secrete insulin at a pace to handle it. You will then avoid spikes, and you will avoid lows where you feel lousy. This is a general idea of how it works. The nutritionist will be able to suggest what foods, and what amount would be good for you so that you don't overload you system and develop problems.
  • irdietinfo
    Options
    I agree with pat6250 - there is a lot you can do to stabilize your insulin levels just by cutting down on refined starch and sugar and balancing every carb with protein. Not only will it help you lose weight, you'll also gain control of your appetite. It is absolutely possible to reverse insulin resistance and if you address it early you can save yourself from progressing to diabetes or other metabolic disorders.

You should get tested regularly and if you follow a diet where you watch your carbs, you'll see marked improvement!:smile:
  • stormyWI
    stormyWI Posts: 12
    Options
    I know this is an old post but I've been looking for support as I'm doing the IR diet. I agree with others - if your doctor says you "might be" then for sure they should be drawing blood to know one way or the other.

HOWEVER ... even if you're not IR, the IR diet can help you. I did this diet several years ago and lost around 25 lbs. My ex did it at the same time and lost more than that. I only stopped doing it when I became pregnant and had severe morning sickness (ok, all day, lol).

If anyone wants to add me as a friend, please feel free to do so. I am on MFP to track carbs and proteins and balancing that way.

Mainly, I just want to say that IR diet works for those with and without IR. When balancing your carbs and proteins, you don't have to watch your calories (though it is a good idea to do so).
  • I have PCOS, along with Graves Disease which turned into me having to get my thyroid removed and now I am hypothyroid. My PCOS has resulted in my needed to be on a insulin resistant type diet. I get my blood checked once per year. It's a pain in the *kitten*. Please go see a doctor. Due to these two things. It is incredibly difficult to lose weight but very easy for me to gain. I will be 40 in January. I need to lose 40 lbs. I weigh 177. I am 5'6".
  • swhite1209
    swhite1209 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a type one diabetic. I didnt get it until I was 33 yrs old. I have been on insulin for a long time. When I first started having to take insulin I was small. The doctors told me that I could eat whatever I wanted but if I over did it I would get fat. I was fine until I stopped smoking 4 years ago and then i put on 40 lbs. The last time I went to the doctor he told me that they may have to put me on pills to because they think I am getting to be insulin resistant. I dont think so.... here is why.... I am on an insulin pump. I have a basal and a bolus. the basal is the insulin my pump gives me its like a background insulin to keep my levels normal. The bolus I give is for meals. I was giving myself over 10 units of insulin sometimes for a meal. I had to give myself one unit of inuslin for every 8 grams of carbs. That is a lot for a meal. I started my diet and started walking everyday. I do not have to give myself ANY insulin for breakfast or dinner. Because I walk after breakfast and after dinner. For lunch I dont give myself a full dose of insulin because I usually go low in the afernoons now. My background insulin has been turned down. My carb ratio is now 1 unit per 9 grams of carbs. So the eatig better part helps but the exercise does wonders. I dont know if I have lost any weight yet since i do not have scales yet. But since I have been doing this (2 weeks today) I feel so much better and love that I dont have to use much insulin.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • lisakammwang
    lisakammwang Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been using My Fitness Pal since the first of the year. I have wrote down everything I eat, built up to exercising 6 days a week for 30 minutes. I would lose a few pounds only to put it back on. I was told by my doctor last summer that I might be insulin resistance, but that was all the info that I was given. I decided with all my struggles with trying to lose weight, that I would do some research on my own. I have started reading about it and how to balance carbs and protein to keep the insulin level. Is there anyone else out there that is doing something similair?

First of all...find a new physician. Better yet, find yourself a Family Nurse Practitioner ( of course I am a bit biased, I graduate in May of next year). I would never let a patient walk out the door until all of their questions answered.

I am insulin resistant, and carried alot of my weight around my midsection (good predictor of insulin resistance and future development of type 2 DM). Regarless, the three things the ADA focuses on are diet, exercise, and weight for insulin resistance.

I follow a low carb lifestyle. I don't eat fat free, try to stay away from processed food, and get my carbohydrates from good quality food. I eat between 1400-1600 calories per day and am still losing weight. Check out the group Eat More Weigh Less and add me as a friend if you like.
  • jlwl3626
    jlwl3626 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistance with the same problems you are describing. It started 8 years ago, I was 118 pounds at 5'6" (thin I know, but that was my body type). Suddenly I started packing on the pounds. I cut calories and worked out 2 hours a day for months. I only lost 9 pounds in three months! I went to doctors, I went to nutritionists, and they all said I had to be eating too much, which I was not. Meanwhile I continued to gain weight, lots of it.

I then talked to my OBGYN after someone told me about insulin resistance. My Dr said I probably did have it, and then did NOTHING about it. I finally made an appointment with an endocrinologist (they specialize in this type of condition). They did all the right blood work etc, and told me I definitely had it, and pretty bad. My Endocrinologist put me on Metformin, and I finally started losing weight (along with modified diet and exercise)!

My best advice is to go to an endocrinologist; they are really the only doctors well versed in the proper and full treatment for insulin resistance. Good luck!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i've heard HIIT training is good for insulin resistance. this was on a BBC documentary (with Michael Mosley) last year sometime with there being 'super responders' - who this really helped and just normal folk - who it didn't (didn't do any harm though) :/

can't remember the name of the show, sorry - it was quite interesting.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Hiit and resistance training are beneficial.