Should I get an HRM?

Options
onikonor
onikonor Posts: 473 Member
Should I get an HRM, and if so which one would you recommend?

Replies

• onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Anyone? I've done some searched on the forums and people are recommending Polar FT4 or FT7. I went on the Polar website and there are also FT6 models. There are others who use fitbit.

I'm not sure what the difference is between them.
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Fitbit basically is a pedometer. It's calorie burn measures are estimates using a few variables (height, weight, sex, steps). HRM's add your heart rate to the measurement estimate and are probably more accurate. Higher end HRMs also estimate V02 max reasonnably well. They can also be used for more than walking as the basic measurement is your heartbeat coupled with some other estimated stuff based on age, sex, weight.

I'd say get one if you can afford it. I use both all the time. Fitbit for measuring steps, my hrm for calories. The Polars you mentioned are all good.
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes! Not only will you get a more accurate number of calories burned but knowing that you are within your training zone during a workout will make all the difference. You'll know when you're not pushing hard enough or when you need to slow down to avoid exhaustion (this happened to me during C25K. I was going way past my zone and couldn't complete the runs. After I began tracking my heart rate, I was able to complete the whole program!)

I have an FT4 and I love it. Boyfriend has an FT7 and he doesn't even use the extra features. Just make sure it's got what you need.

Check this website out to figure out your training zone. The Karvonen calculation will be most accurate because it's tailored to you using your weight, age, gender and resting heart rate.

http://www.racedaynutrition.com/HeartRate.aspx
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    YES! It is more accurate than just guessing & you will feel more confident in your logging. MFP, machines, & other websites cannot accurately know your intensity so it is a bit of a guessing game for them.

I have an older Polar HRM and love it. I'm going to upgrade to one of the new styles this year because I've heard the new ones are even more accurate these days - FT4 or FT7. I've heard good things about both on here.