Overnight work and eating?

Options
I work 11-7 Saturdays and soon I will be picking ups some extra when I get out of nursing school. I am a nursing assistant at a nursing home..My question is..when I get home at 7:20 and go to sleep..and I wake up..how do I eat? I am supposed to have 3 meals and 2 snacks and a post work out meal. And what if I eat at work? Which I didn't last night due to studying on down time and working LOL. Thanks for the input! Right now I am eating Bob's Red Mills steel cut oats, a granny smith apple mixed in w/ cinnamon and homemade almond butter..I am putting it towards lunch.

Replies

• TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    It would definitely be easier when you're on a more consistant schedule - one midnight shift a week is hard to make adjustments to. When I worked overnights, I tried to eat as regularly as possible - breakfast when I woke up and lunch and then supper the appropriate number of hours later. I found it difficult to fit "supper" in as most mornings I just wanted to go to sleep and didn't feel like eating right before I went to bed. Be sure to drink sufficient water while you're working overnight and let your body tell you when its hungry. Once you get into the swing of it, you'll be able to tell better when you need the higher energy foods.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I work both days and nights regularly. I think the first reply gave good advice. Try and keep your meals at the normal times youd eat, only switch the am and pm. If you are used to eating the same times each day, maybe aim to space your meal intervals the same way during nights.

Also, there isnt anything wrong with eating before sleep, many people think.you dont digest as well but its not true.
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Found a link to this article from American Nurse Today: http://tinyurl.com/7oa6m9x.
  • tat2oodmonster
    Options
    Found a link to this article from American Nurse Today: http://tinyurl.com/7oa6m9x.

Thank you!