New Member Introduction

Options
Bev549
Bev549 Posts: 2 Member
Hi, my name is Bev and I heard about this site through a relative at a Bridal shower. My daughter is planning her wedding for next summer and I promised her I would lose 100 pounds by her wedding. I was laid off for 18 months and between lack of activity (sitting at a laptop for 10 hours a day) and the depression I packed on the pounds. Her wedding announcement has given me so much incentive to lose weight. Although I want to do this for myself also, I want her to be proud of her mother on her wedding day. I joined just 4 days ago and I really like this site. Although I am still exploring the site, I like what I see so far. I have lost 3 pounds in 4 days!!! I didn't realize what I was eating until I started keeping track of my food intake. I have yet to make it through the entire introduction video (5 foods you should never eat). It is rather a long video and I keep getting interrupted. You have to start from the beginning each time. Does anybody know if bananas are off the diet menu?

Replies

• fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    No food is off the "diet" menu. This is a lifestyle change. I hope you have great success losing weight for YOU! Congratulations on getting started.
  • abigail132
    abigail132 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm not sure if there is some hidden 'badness' as such about bananas, but i've always thought they were great for dieting! They're not the fruit with the lowest fat content, but a great source of potassium! Never cut anything entirely out of your diet - everything in moderation! :)
  • booklover942
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I've never seen the video, where is it located on the site? I didn't think anything was "off limits" I love this site and was turned on to it by my son, who lost over 40 pounds. I also would like to lose about 100 lbs, I have a couple of things coming up that I would like to look good in the pictures. I never knew how much I was eating until I started this and surprise myself with the intelligent choices I'm making.

I'm not an active person but because of the success I've seen here, I have started walking, slowly, because my knees are always giving me trouble. As the last poster says this is really a life style change and I'm happy to say it is sweeping through my whole family and it is really working. Good Luck and if you need a Fitness Pal please friend me. :smile:
  • Bev549
    Bev549 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As I explored this site, I realized that the video I had started watching was not a part of this site. On the main page there was a link called "Beyond Diet". I now realize that it was an ad for something. As I said, never actually got through the whole video. Before gaining all this weight I use to be an avid power walker. Now, because of knee problems, (brought on by the weight gain of course) I have to be careful with my walking and other kinds of exercise. Does anyone know how to convert grams to non-metric weights? For example... when I type in "Krakus Polish Deli Ham", the website gives me a choice of "1 gram". I have no idea how many grams are in one slice of ham. Any suggestions?
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you're in the best place. This site is awesome. Stick to it!
  • MikeSchmidt254
    MikeSchmidt254 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would recommend purchasing a food scale to any one who is starting a diet. I was the same way when I first began cleaning up my food intake, I had no idea how big a 6g piece of chicken was or how many carbs were in a banana, etc. Then a friend sugggested I invest in a food scale, so I did. What's great about it is you can weigh your food down to the milligram, then you can come to this great site, input how much of each item you eat and it will conveniently calculate how much of what is in that product. As far as your banana question, I would say it is definitely not a bad food for dieting. It is a great source of potassium and a big-time filler. However, for dieting purposes, I still like to be able to eat as much as I can while still maintaing my lifestyle. With that being said, Strawberries, grapes and oranges are by far my choice of fruit for a diet. These fruits offer the same nutritional values as bananas, but you can have more of them. For example, there are approximately 20g of carbs in one fairly large banana while at the same time, there are only 8g of carbs in approx. 20 strawberries. See what I mean? You get to eat more while at the same time conserving more space in your macro nutrients.
  • kimboj41
    kimboj41 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Kimberly (Kim), and I joined this site June 13, 2012 after reading an article about the World's Oldest Female Bodybuilder Ernestine Shepherd (75); I was so inspired by her that I made up my mind to lose weight and get back healthy. I will be 42 August 12th and I am going home (Macon, GA) to celebrate with my family and I would like to WOW them; I was just down there Memorial Day weekend. Since I have been counting calories, my whole thought process has changed; I have always been a healthy eater (vegetables, wheat, etc.) but my portion control was the problem....I ate until I was miserable, then went to bed. I have a 13 year old daughter whom I love dearly; one day she told me I was not healthy because I would get so winded coming up the stairs. I thought what does she know.....well she was right.......so I am doing this for her as well.