Being muscular do not mean you are healthy

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
Me and a co worker were talking and he said that being muscular does not mean you are healthy.

I disagree since I know all that I have to do in order to have muscles and lowering my body fat to show them.

Outside of the use of steroids.

Your opinion?

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I wonder in what way he meant healthy?
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your definition of healthy. There have been some very muscular guys with big arms and 6-pack abs who cannot make it through an hour in my favorite Zumba class at the gym. So who is healthier? The guys who can lift much heavier weights or the girls who can do cardio for an hour without stopping? Personally, I think the answer is somewhere in between the two extremes: someone who lifts and can do serious cardio.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Me and a co worker were talking and he said that being muscular does not mean you are healthy.

I disagree since I know all that I have to do in order to have muscles and lowering my body fat to show them.

Your opinion?

I think it varies on the person.

There are plenty of boys in the gym who work hard on getting muscular upper bodies so they can look good in their tight t-shirts on a Saturday night, but would be out of breath running for a bus - Their cardiovasculr health is very poor.

Similarly, there are plenty of chubby people who can run 10k easily, but have very little muscles on show.

Muscles and being healthy don't always go together,
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'd say that muscle production and physical health have a general link but the two do not have to coincide.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The same point can be argued over fat people not being healthy? :laugh:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd say that muscle production and physical health have a general link but the two do not have to coincide.

I'd agree with this. There are lots of guys who are not physically fit whatsoever (running a short distance would leave them breathless) yet they have lots of muscles.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think appearance is often a good indicator of overall health. And I think appearance if often is a poor indicator of overall health.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Your opinion?

What do you qualify as healthy exactly? That's like saying a skinny person can't have diabetes or cholesterol. Having muscles is only one part of the equation and doesn't automatically mean you are healthy.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Appearance doesn't have much to do with how healthy someone is on the inside. Though, it's very easy to assume (and usually be correct) when you see someone with a lean muscular figure, that they take care of themselves.

p.s.
    What does steroids have to do with your opinion?