Pop tarts

Options
I have to eat 1500 calories a day and it is indeed hard! I figured that since Pop Tarts are calorie dense, I could eat those. I've had two a day for the past three days but I can't help but wonder, despite my other healthy eating, will all the Pop Tarts' crap prevent me from losing weight?

Replies

• hideandseek
    Options
    I have to eat 1500 calories a day and it is indeed hard! I figured that since Pop Tarts are calorie dense, I could eat those. I've had two a day for the past three days but I can't help but wonder, despite my other healthy eating, will all the Pop Tarts' crap prevent me from losing weight?
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it will prevent you from losing weight, but I think there are better foods that you can be eating for 400 calories. Like, have scrambled eggs with cheese--250 calories. Add a glass of juice and turkey bacon, and that's 400 calories, with a lot more nutrition.

Good luck!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    most likely they are useless empty calories made of god knows what(lots of chemicals and other fillers) heres a yummy alternative. Whole wheat toast, with a smear of peanut butter and some low sugar or sugar free jam. It has fiber and protien to fill you up as well as good quality carbs for energy. Plus its way healthier for about 100 or so caories...Its a yummy!!!!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    most likely they are useless empty calories made of god knows what(lots of chemicals and other fillers) heres a yummy alternative. Whole wheat toast, with a smear of peanut butter and some low sugar or sugar free jam. It has fiber and protien to fill you up as well as good quality carbs for energy. Plus its way healthier for about 100 or so caories...Its a yummy!!!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    They're full of carbs and sugars and probably sodium as well! You body will turn the sugar into fat and the carbs aren't great either! I agree-there's other things to eat better then Pop-Tarts.

Cheese is high in sodium but has lots of calories. Peanuts or other nuts, are good, too-and they have good oil that is good for your body.
  • hideandseek
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I WOULD eat healthy other foods, but we are talking what I eat from the hours 8-4 at work, where everything served in the cafeteria has no label and is bad. All I can really think of that aren't pop tarts are baked chips, which would probably be better too now that I actually think about it. Or uncrustable sandwiches.

And also , I rarely even meet my sodium standards so that isn't an issue. Thanks for the tips thus far guys!
  • shorerider
    Options
    They're still horrible for you anytime of day! Take along some of your own sandwiches or like I said, nuts!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    If you had a choice. Let's say; blueberry pop tart without icing:

Serving Size 1 pastry (52g)

Amount per serving
    Calories 212 Calories from Fat 62

Hide Daily Values % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 7g 11%
    Saturated Fat 1g 5%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
    Monounsaturated Fat 3g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 207mg 9%
    Total Carbohydrates 36g 12%
    Dietary Fiber 1g
    Sugars 16g
    Protein 2g

Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 1% Iron 10%
    Thiamin 10% Riboflavin 10%
    Niacin 10% Vitamin B6 10%
    Potassium 1% Phosphorus 5%
    Magnesium 2% Zinc 4%
    Copper 4% %
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Most likely you will eat both correct?? So lets double that to 242 cal and 124 fat

Now if you like the borwn sugar ones-430.69 cal adn 15.1g fat for 1 pastry so 2 would be 861.38 cal and 30.2 g fat.

Most likly you will be hungry soon or maybe feeling tired

You can eat chicken
    veggies
    1/2 cup quinoas
    and have some sugar free jello for less calories.
    Food that is healthy, filling and will give you energy.

PUT DOWN THE POP TART...STEP AWAY.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    LOL yes step away from the pop tart! You are sooo funny Renee!

hugs!
    Ali
  • icandoit
    Options
    LOL yes step away from the pop tart! You are sooo funny Renee!

hugs!
    Ali

:wink:
  • shorerider
    Options
    If you had a choice. Let's say; blueberry pop tart without icing:

Serving Size 1 pastry (52g)

Amount per serving
    Calories 212 Calories from Fat 62

Hide Daily Values % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 7g 11%
    Saturated Fat 1g 5%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
    Monounsaturated Fat 3g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 207mg 9%
    Total Carbohydrates 36g 12%
    Dietary Fiber 1g
    Sugars 16g
    Protein 2g

Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 1% Iron 10%
    Thiamin 10% Riboflavin 10%
    Niacin 10% Vitamin B6 10%
    Potassium 1% Phosphorus 5%
    Magnesium 2% Zinc 4%
    Copper 4% %
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Most likely you will eat both correct?? So lets double that to 242 cal and 124 fat

Now if you like the borwn sugar ones-430.69 cal adn 15.1g fat for 1 pastry so 2 would be 861.38 cal and 30.2 g fat.

Most likly you will be hungry soon or maybe feeling tired

You can eat chicken
    veggies
    1/2 cup quinoas
    and have some sugar free jello for less calories.
    Food that is healthy, filling and will give you energy.

PUT DOWN THE POP TART...STEP AWAY.

YUCK! They're even worse then I remember! I can't believe the sodium and carbs in those things! My husband calls them (and stuff like them) "plastic food" and says there's nothing natural in them--it's all made in a lab he says!! :tongue:
  • lk14040
    lk14040 Posts: 90
    Options
    My brother eats poptarts, and im not sure if its in all brands, but if you read the ingredients it has partially hydrogenated oils. Hydrogenated oils=trans fats= will make you fat and unhealthy!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pop tarts, they were what I lived on in undergrad, until someone pointed something out to me.

Look on the box. . .there is a warning that says "don't leave them unattended" while they're in the toaster (or something similar). I was told (and this may be urban legend, but it scared hell out of me) that that's because there are so many chemicals in pop tarts that they can burst into flames.

Yikes. They're also just totally empty, refined calories and will do nothing to satisfy your hunger. They are a "food like substance", not food.:flowerforyou:
  • hideandseek
    Options
    I will probably variate between an uncrustable and baked chips with a juice from now on! Thanks guys
  • icandoit
    Options
    I will probably variate between an uncrustable and baked chips with a juice from now on! Thanks guys

Hate to put a damper on you uncrustables, but....
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 Sandwich (58g)
    Calories 210
    Calories from Fat 80

Amount/Serving %DV *
    Total Fat 9g
    Saturated Fat 2g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 260mg
    Total Carbohydrate 25g
    Dietary Fiber 2g
    Sugars 10g
    Protein 7g
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin C
    Calcium
    Iron
    14 %
    9 %
    0 %
    11 %
    8 %
    7 %

0 %
    0 %
    2 %
    6 %

*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Calories: 2,000 2,500

Total Fat Less than 65g 80g
    Sat Fat Less than 20g 25g
    Cholesterol Less than 300mg 300mg
    Sodium Less than 2,400mg 2,400mg

Total Carbohydrate 300g 375g
    Dietary Fiber 25g 30g

Calories per gram:
    Fat 9 . Carbohydrate 4 . Protein 4

Ingredients
    BREAD: ENRICHED UNBLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, YEAST, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL AND/OR SOYBEAN OIL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: WHEAT GLUTEN, SALT, DOUGH CONDITIONERS (MAY CONTAIN ONE OR MORE OF: DIACETYL TARTARIC ESTERS OF MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES (DATEM), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, ETHOXYLATED MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, CALCIUM PEROXIDE, ASCORBIC ACID, AZODICARBONAMIDE, L-CYSTEINE), YEAST NUTRIENTS (MAY CONTAIN ONE OR MORE OF: MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SULFATE, AMMONIUM SULFATE), CALCIUM PROPIONATE (MAINTAIN FRESHNESS), CORNSTARCH, ENZYMES (WITH WHEAT). PEANUT BUTTER: SELECT ROASTED PEANUTS, DEXTROSE, VEGETABLE MONOGLYCERIDES (FROM PALM OIL), SALT. STRAWBERRY JAM: STRAWBERRIES, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, PECTIN, CITRIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE ADDED AS A PRESERVATIVE.

I think you are better off making your own after reading the ingredients. It is cheaper too. Sorry.... I will stop picking on your snacks. :tongue:
  • mamatusa
    mamatusa Posts: 40
    Options
    I love Pop Tarts! I used to eat them every morning for breakfast when I was a kid, and even as an adult, especially through tax seasons. Didn't realize how bad they were for you until I started reading labels.

Have you thought about bringing in your own healthier, breakfast, lunch and snacks to work instead of eating in the cafeteria?
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    I decided that pop tarts were the devil about 4 yrs ago when I realized how much fat and calories are in those suckers!!!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

OMG, I love pop-tarts
    Before this site I had one package every am as part of my b-fast
    Anyway, I would also try to opt for better choices (and I'm no expert) but what about a FiberOne bar or Luna bar (smores and ices oatmeal is SO good)
    I also like the Kashi roll bars (180cals)
    Can't go wrong with some almonds/nuts or dark chocolate...

Kim
  • shorerider
    Options
    I LOVE pop tarts, they were what I lived on in undergrad, until someone pointed something out to me.

Look on the box. . .there is a warning that says "don't leave them unattended" while they're in the toaster (or something similar). I was told (and this may be urban legend, but it scared hell out of me) that that's because there are so many chemicals in pop tarts that they can burst into flames.

Yikes. They're also just totally empty, refined calories and will do nothing to satisfy your hunger. They are a "food like substance", not food.:flowerforyou:

BEEN THERE--DONE THERE--GOT THE RUINED TOASTER!

Yes, they will catch on fire! I used to eat them and loved mine a little bit "burnt" on top--you know, crunchy. Well, one day, the whole dang thing went up in flames and they were shooting out the toaster! :noway:

It's the sugar content in them actually (I think) that makes them so flammable.
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    Take some snacks with you to work rather then depending on the sugar filled carbs offered in your workplace. Try low sodium nuts, for instance; they are portable, dense in calories and protein, and good for you (and yummy!) Luna bars are also really good. I think they taste better then pop tarts (especially the caramel brownie), but they are way better for you!