myfitnesspal or fat2fitradio calorie goal

Mfp is 1280 and the other is 1939. What Do you follow?
But most days I have around 900, I just feel full all time and
Don't know whether I should force myself to eat to meet these
Cal goals. I don't know which to follow..?

Replies

• Bump
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member

If I had eaten 1900 per day, I would have gained weight.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Personally I'm not a huge fan of either. I would say estimate your TDEE and eat 500 under that a day. Include your exercise in your TDEE. If you lose too slowly or not at all, go for 750-1000 under.

People will undoubtedly tell you to eat your MFP goal of 1280 PLUS the calories you estimate from any exercise you do. There are a couple reasons that doesn't work for many.

If your [(BMR*activity factor)-goal deficit] is under 1200, MFP bumps it up to 1200. So if I have a BMR of 1400 and am sedentary they multiply that by 1.2 to est. TDEE before exercise. So I'm up to (1400*1.2)=1680 TDEE. Then if I said I want to lose 2 lbs/week, a perfectly healthy rate for someone 25 lbs. overweight, it subtracts 1000 to get 680. Then says "not healthy to eat that little, eat 1200". So now I'm at 1200 calories/day which is really only a 480/day deficit (1680-1200). To lose 2 lbs/week, I'd need to do 520 calories a day of exercise and NOT eat that back. That's ok! I'm eating 1200, I get my nutrients, this is healthy. But that is eating your 1200, exercising hard over an hour 7 days a week, and never 'eating back'.

But it gets screwed up because people will say, "you can't eat 1200, you have to eat at least your BMR plus your exercise!" So that would have me up to 1400+520= 1920 taken in. If I ate that, my only deficit would be 280 calories/day! (1920-1680-520). That is tiny, especially since my 520 exercise est. is probably counting my BMR in, so it's really only maybe 450 in exercise that I added. So now I'm down to 200 deficit/day or 2 lbs./month lost IF I am tracking every tiny gram of food and drink.

Why would I want to track all this if I'm only going to actually cause a 0-200 calorie deficit per day, when 1000 calorie deficit per day is considered safe?
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Personally I'm not a huge fan of either. I would say estimate your TDEE and eat 500 under that a day. Include your exercise in your TDEE. If you lose too slowly or not at all, go for 750-1000 under.

Fat2fit is based on tdee.
    Best way is to work out tdee and then create a moderate deficit (10-20%).
    You shouldnt be aiming for more than a 250 deficit with only 10 lbs to lose there is a limit to what is a safe and healthy loss and that is not it. I only have 750 deficit and I still have 50 to go.

If you eat 900 and then burn off say 500 at Zumba, that leaves your body only 400 to keep everything working!!! Your bmr (around 1400) is what you would burn if you were in a coma, so clearly 400 is nowhere near enough to keep you healthy x
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Fat2Fit/TDEE at 2000 but I'm maintaining. I haven't followed MFP's guide for awhile.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

Personally, I like to eat the highest I can whilst still losing, as I am more likely to stick with it, but I doubt you would lose much on 1939.

F2F gives you the maintenance calories for your goal weight, so for people a long way from goal, the F2F number is usually a deficit, but as you are only 10lbs away from goal, 1939 is close to your current maintenence calories, so you would still need to take off a defict.

But 1280 would be an aggressive deficit - what target weight loss goal did you chose? Also remember that MFP gives you 1280 PLUS exercise calories, so if you burn 400 at Zumba you would eat 1680.

Using the TDEE less defict method, If you took a 15% or 250 deficit from 1939, you would get 1650 - 1689.

So they both work out quite similar.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    I follow the goal MFP sets for 1lb a week weight loss. It's worked so far.
  • em9371

People will undoubtedly tell you to eat your MFP goal of 1280 PLUS the calories you estimate from any exercise you do. There are a couple reasons that doesn't work for many.

If your [(BMR*activity factor)-goal deficit] is under 1200, MFP bumps it up to 1200. So if I have a BMR of 1400 and am sedentary they multiply that by 1.2 to est. TDEE before exercise. So I'm up to (1400*1.2)=1680 TDEE. Then if I said I want to lose 2 lbs/week, a perfectly healthy rate for someone 25 lbs. overweight, it subtracts 1000 to get 680. Then says "not healthy to eat that little, eat 1200". So now I'm at 1200 calories/day which is really only a 480/day deficit (1680-1200). To lose 2 lbs/week, I'd need to do 520 calories a day of exercise and NOT eat that back. That's ok! I'm eating 1200, I get my nutrients, this is healthy. But that is eating your 1200, exercising hard over an hour 7 days a week, and never 'eating back'.

But it gets screwed up because people will say, "you can't eat 1200, you have to eat at least your BMR plus your exercise!" So that would have me up to 1400+520= 1920 taken in. If I ate that, my only deficit would be 280 calories/day! (1920-1680-520). That is tiny, especially since my 520 exercise est. is probably counting my BMR in, so it's really only maybe 450 in exercise that I added. So now I'm down to 200 deficit/day or 2 lbs./month lost IF I am tracking every tiny gram of food and drink.

Why would I want to track all this if I'm only going to actually cause a 0-200 calorie deficit per day, when 1000 calorie deficit per day is considered safe?

Eating only 1200 and exercising off 520 is ridiculous. It gives a net of only 680, would you eat only 680???
    2lbs a week is not considered safe for someone with only a small amount to lose, thats why MFP has the 1200 (net) minimum, so if you do any exercise, the VERY LEAST you should eat is 1200 plus exercise.

the recommended 'SAFE' losses are:

75+ to lose = 2lbs
    50-75 to lose = 1.5-2lbs
    25-50 to lose = 1-1.5lbs
    15-25 to lose = 1lbs
    0-15 to lose = 0.5lbs

so based on your figures above, a person with 25lbs to lose should aim for max 1lbs which is 500 deficit.
    TDEE assuming 520 exercise = 2200
    2200 - 500 = eat 1700
    net = 1200 which is the 'safe' minimum according to MFP.

The less you weigh, the less you can safely lose, so as you get closer to goal the losses get smaller. Everyone wants to lose as quickly as possible but its not sustainable long term, as you will lose muscle as well as fat which will make you look thin but flabby, your metabolism will slow down and you will have to eat ess even to maintain your weight then. Sorry if you don't like it but thats just how the body works.

By aiming for a slower loss, along with weight training, you preserve muscle mass, which boosts metabolism, burns more calories the loss continues, and you lose more inches.
  • em9371

Personally, I like to eat the highest I can whilst still losing, as I am more likely to stick with it, but I doubt you would lose much on 1939.

F2F gives you the maintenance calories for your goal weight, so for people a long way from goal, the F2F number is usually a deficit, but as you are only 10lbs away from goal, 1939 is close to your current maintenence calories, so you would still need to take off a defict.

But 1280 would be an aggressive deficit - what target weight loss goal did you chose? Also remember that MFP gives you 1280 PLUS exercise calories, so if you burn 400 at Zumba you would eat 1680.

Using the TDEE less defict method, If you took a 15% or 250 deficit from 1939, you would get 1650 - 1689.

So they both work out quite similar.

good post :-)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member

75+ to lose = 2lbs
    50-75 to lose = 1.5-2lbs
    25-50 to lose = 1-1.5lbs
    15-25 to lose = 1lbs
    0-15 to lose = 0.5lbs

Recommended by who?

People that say 2 lbs/week is safe include these below, and many, many others. Notice too there is no mention of "net" with the 1200 in the original article link below that says 1200 is a safe minimum.

MyPyramid.gov
    MedlinePlus: Tips for Losing Weight
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Balancing Calories
    U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Calorie Deficit Table

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/385547-how-much-of-a-calorie-deficit-to-lose-weight/#ixzz1xzQmDlse
  • abbygaelsmom
    abbygaelsmom Posts: 2 Member
    all of this just made my eyes cross/twitch. can someone dumb it down for me?
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    I do fat2fit, I have for the last two months or so.

I only want to lose 10 more pounds so I cut about 300 from food from my maintenance level.
    I am much happier, eating more than I have in a year and losing more than I had the previous months.

I was at 1800 but I've been doubling up workouts so I'm eating a lil more. I lI've it because this way I am not starving on my rest day.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    all of this just made my eyes cross/twitch. can someone dumb it down for me?

Put accurate information into MFP, follow the calorie goal it gives you. Eat back your exercise calories unless you're not losing weight.

Edit: And pick a reasonable weight loss goal. If you've only got 10 pounds to lose, dropping 2 pounds a week isn't likely to happen.
  • em9371

75+ to lose = 2lbs
    50-75 to lose = 1.5-2lbs
    25-50 to lose = 1-1.5lbs
    15-25 to lose = 1lbs
    0-15 to lose = 0.5lbs

Recommended by who?

People that say 2 lbs/week is safe include these below, and many, many others. Notice too there is no mention of "net" with the 1200 in the original article link below that says 1200 is a safe minimum.

MyPyramid.gov
    MedlinePlus: Tips for Losing Weight
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Balancing Calories
    U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Calorie Deficit Table

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/385547-how-much-of-a-calorie-deficit-to-lose-weight/#ixzz1xzQmDlse

Most of the sensible people on mfp who have been here a long time and successfully lost and maintained. Why did you even join mfp as you obviously totally disagree with how it works?!
    Creating a 1000 deficit on a 1200 diet is very much a short term 'crash' diet which will ultimately end in regaining the weight, I should know ive done it for the last 15 years.
    I can't even be bothered arguing with you now. I'll eat my 2000 and lose 1.5lbs, you eat 1200 and fail to lose 2lbs, and see who gives up first.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    http://www.calculatorlab.com/HowDoIMeetMyWeightLossGoal/index.php

I went on here. You put in your weight + weight loss goal + exercise and it tells you how much you should eat per day. I'm eating at a 20% deficit, putting me at around 1600-1700 calories per day (gross calories; not net).

I've been eating like this for the past couple of weeks and I've lost a pound :smile:
    (I know that sounds like bugger all, but I don't have a lot of weight to lose so I'm right on track, I think)
  • em9371

I went on here. You put in your weight + weight loss goal + exercise and it tells you how much you should eat per day. I'm eating at a 20% deficit, putting me at around 1600-1700 calories per day (gross calories; not net).

I've been eating like this for the past couple of weeks and I've lost a pound :smile:
    (I know that sounds like bugger all, but I don't have a lot of weight to lose so I'm right on track, I think)

You are going about it the right way, well done on your loss :-)
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member

You are going about it the right way, well done on your loss :-)

Thanks Em :smile:
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    I follow the goal MFP sets for 1lb a week weight loss. It's worked so far.

This ^

Been on MFP 4 months and have lost 21 lbs. so far :D
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    fat2fit is working for me... :laugh:
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    High cals working for me too! I eat 1700+ and lose every week. Em's got it spot on :)