What do you think?

Options
age1389
age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
I want to start making my own smoothies, I usally just buy the frozen fruit cause it doesn't go bad but I was wondering if frozen is as good for you as fresh fruit? Also how about frozen veggies verses fresh?
Thanks..

Adrienne

Replies

• age1389
    Options
    I want to start making my own smoothies, I usally just buy the frozen fruit cause it doesn't go bad but I was wondering if frozen is as good for you as fresh fruit? Also how about frozen veggies verses fresh?
    Thanks..

Adrienne
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    absolutely perhaps even better because most growers flash freeze the produce immediatly upon harvest so it retains the vitamin content. Plus when you buy fresh in the store it has been a long time coming from field to table. Oh and my personal tip GO ORGANIC!!!!!! Its better for you and the enviroment and the small farms it supports
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruits and veggies might not always be as healthy and nutrient rich as fresh, however if that's your best option then go for it. I keep our freezer stocked with lots of fruits and veggies. I try to buy fresh as often as possible, but as you mentioned it's nice to have frozen at hand and not worry about them going bad if you don't get to them right away. I would suggest having both, buy a few fresh items once a week (only as much as you know you'll eat) and keep the freezer stocked as well.
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    In 1998, the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) confirmed that frozen fruits and vegetables provide the same essential nutrients and health benefits as fresh. It's no wonder. Frozen fruits and vegetables are nothing more than fresh fruits and vegetables that have been blanched (cooked for a short time in boiling water or steamed) and frozen within hours of being picked. Further, frozen fruits and vegetables are processed at their peak in terms of freshness and nutrition.What's not to like?
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    yep yep. I had a nutrition teacher who was a registered dieticion who I asked the same question and she said they are just as good! I always make my smoothies with delicious frozen fruits.. :o)
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Frozen-yep.

1/2 cup soy yogurt
    1/2 cup soy milk (vanilla)
    1.5 cup frozen fruit
    1 tbls milled flax
  • age1389
    Options
    Thanks everyone:flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Just as good! and usually cheaper to buy too! Just make sure you're not buying a product frozen "in lite syrup" you know the kind I mean.