Really scared to try "eat more to lose more"

Options
Reading through the forums for the past couple weeks I've seen a lot of talk about eating more calores to more weight. I really do want this to be true, I mean, who doesn't want to be able to eat more food and still reach their goal weight? My only issue is that I really want to be 145 before I head out of town on August 2, (as of this morning I'm 153.2,) and I'm worried that should I spend a few weeks eating more and then find out that it doesn't work for me, I will have wasted valuable time in trying to meet my "deadline".

Any advice? I don't have a ton of weight to lose after that first goal, so I know the weight will come off slower for me than for others, regardless of which method I do, but I just want to hear anyone's opinion, I know some of you swear by the eat more motto while others do quite well on a 1200 calorie a day (for example) diet.

thanks everyone!

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    honestly you may not lose weight as fast so keep track of your measurements. You may find yourself slimming down without losing weight. I mean I rather take looking great (getting smaller) over what the scale says any day.
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just tried not eating all my calories about 4 weeks ago. I saved 300-500 calories a day from exercise for two weeks and didn't lose any weight. I started eating all my calories and the scale has started moving again the last 2 weeks. I have lost 13 lbs. since the first of the year by eating healthier and avoiding sugar. Good Luck!!
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've just started eating at my TDEE - 15% which for me is about 2200 calories per day. I've lost a little this week, but it takes your body a few weeks to adjust to a new calorie amount so you have to be patient and willing to give it time. If you don't want to go up that much just increase your intake by 100-300 calories and see how you do :) good luck!
  • 1234567kate9
    Options
    So I've been going a bit crazy lately trying to figure out my TDEE and, using online calculators, I gotten numbers ranging from 2144 to 2376, which obviously would make a difference. Not really sure how to determine what number to use??
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You could use the average of the numbers you find. I've just searced TDEE on Google and used the "scoobysite"
  • 1234567kate9
    Options
    Hi! I just tried not eating all my calories about 4 weeks ago. I saved 300-500 calories a day from exercise for two weeks and didn't lose any weight. I started eating all my calories and the scale has started moving again the last 2 weeks. I have lost 13 lbs. since the first of the year by eating healthier and avoiding sugar. Good Luck!!

I've cut out sugar, (other than fruits etc,) for 1 week now, and I'm hoping that helps, but it hasnt done much so far. I find myself wanting to save those 300 or so calories every day, but hearing this I want to less.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I use a baseline 1900 calories then I add on my burn from exercise. So today I am set up to eat 2400 or so.

eta: set up your macros. Mine are set at 50/25/25 (carbs, protein, fat).
  • cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    If you're that scared, just use the lowest number. It is still a step in the right direction.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Since you do not have much to loose, the weight is going to come off at the same speed regardless if you eat less at 1200 or eat around your BMR, so you might as well eat more.

fat2fitradio.com seems to be a really trusted site for this.
  • 1234567kate9
    Options
    thanks everyone, I'll keep it all in mind and figure out what I'm going to do
  • CaptainSwab
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • 1234567kate9
    Options
    What is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

It's based off of your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which is how many calories you burn in a day, even if you were lying in bed all day. Your TDEE includes your BMR but also varies depending on your activity levels. So your TDEE would be the calories you burn in a normal day (i.e one where you aren't just lying in bed, but actually getting up, going to work, etc)