anyone know any good workouts for beginners?

Options
hey guys.
really struggling with the exercise thing at the moment and trying to find a workout that is at my level and that i enjoy. (i like zumba but i look like an idiot) anyone have any reccomendations?

Replies

• Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    walking is good :) or get zumba on dvd :)
    There are some great workouts on youtube as well :)
  • RamTX22
    RamTX22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I like Burpees , I try to do 30 a day, some people do 50 or more but thats just crazy I think :)
  • Aes37850
    Aes37850 Posts: 48
    Options
    A lot of people like to start out with C25k (Couch to 5k) running/walking program. It's great if you're just starting out and there's a lot of tools to keep you doing it. And it's only 3 days a week with longest being like 35-40 mins I think? Good luck!
  • NikkiLS28
    NikkiLS28 Posts: 43
    Options
    I picked up Jillian Michaels For Beginners Frontside/Backside DVD set at Target for $12. I wanted to die the first day, but I overdid it by starting out full force with jumping jacks. I keep to marching/jogging in place for some of the cardio intervals she has and I do much better :) She gives lots of tips on how to make things easier or harder based on your fitness level as well.

As a chronic couch potato, and starting weight of 279, I needed someplace to start and this worked for me. Good luck!
  • Tropicalgirl3
    Tropicalgirl3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you like Zumba don't worry about what you look like!! Just enjoy it and keep moving. The steps will come and everyone is so busy doing their own thing that I guarantee they are not watching you!! Usually everyone is very supportive. I love Zumba and do it 4 times a week. Walking is also great!! Good luck!
  • gemmstone
    gemmstone Posts: 3
    Options
    Hiya havent really got anything to add, other than im basically in the same position and have just asked a similar question so ill be watching this thread for ideas :-)
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I started out with Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds... When I get tired of her talking I put her on mute & put some good music on... Also I just started TaeBo recently & I like it... Not to hard on my bad knees..... And walking is good to.. I also do Wii boxing & Wii tennis.. Its a great burn.. Especially the boxing.. Good luck..
  • TammyGrl0528
    Options
    I agree with NIcki about the Jillian Michaels for beginners...in my opinion it's an amazing start!

And, if you love the Zumba, go ahead and look like an idiot! You are having fun and losing weight, and that's what matters...not how you look!!!

:tongue:
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do yoga. I can handle it. I bought Jillian Michaels DVDs but the cardio was too much. I got her beginners and was able to do that.
  • TarkaStarr
    TarkaStarr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found a good website (free) with different exercises for females (XBX) and males (X5?) based on exercises developed by the Canadian airforce 30 years ago on the assumption that your not fit at the beginning - exercises are aimed to take 12 minutes a day. Start off with 12 different exercises toning different parts of the body. Depending on your age / level of fitness you move up chart one over a number of days - if your in the mid 20s 2-3 days a level, or for me at 52 8 days a level. Once you finish chart one move onto chart two more complicated exercises but less of them building up over the levels. Etc. The only thing I have changed is the steps/ jumps at the end which I do running on the bottom step of the stairs - so I can't cheat- change legs every 10 steps. Don't need any equipment and can do it if you go away
    Been doing it for 60 days and have toned up and lost inches even on those difficult areas. Good luck
    Fit450.com
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    TURBO JAM!
  • lunchlady1208
    Options
    I love the 10 Minute Solution DVD's...you can do one or all 5 videos and they have tons to choose from....beginner to expert.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I second the burpees :) They are easy enough to do on your own at home where no one can stare and gawk at you and you can find a beginners one on youtube :)

Also running/walking :) That's always good. My motivation, i want a tan so why not get some exercise in while i'm at it :)
  • jenniferlmartinez
    jenniferlmartinez Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter if you look goofy doing zumba..everyone in the beginning looks goofy. walking is great. richard simmons is great for the first week or two just to loosing up your body. good luck
  • Micksgurl
    Micksgurl Posts: 84
    Options
    I enjoy the 10 Min. Solutions Series. There is a variety anywhere from yoga to pilaties to kick boxing to boot camp. What I like is you can mix and match as many or a few 10 minute workouts as you want to fit your schedule. I know if I want to have a few extra calories I just add a couple of the 10 minute cardio workouts to my routine. I have 7 of the videos right now and each has 5/10 minute routines. I got them fairly inexpensive on Amazon. Hope this helps.
  • Micksgurl
    Micksgurl Posts: 84
    Options
    I love the 10 Minute Solution DVD's...you can do one or all 5 videos and they have tons to choose from....beginner to expert.

I love, love, love Lara Hudsons 10 minute solutions!!! She is great!!
  • lunchlady1208
    Options

I love, love, love Lara Hudsons 10 minute solutions!!! She is great!!

Yes!! She is my favorite! And I just got the % Day Get Fit Mix with Amy Bento...very good, too!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5

Starting Strength
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Who cares if you look silly? Im quite sure I look like a moron when I do turbo jam but I do it anyway cuz I enjoy it

There are links to Zumba here so you can do it in the privacy of your own home

http://healthysexyhappy.tumblr.com/moveyourassnow
  • sunnie326
    sunnie326 Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I started with the Leslie Sansone walk at home videos. As they got easier, I moved up to Billy Blanks tae bo and Jillian Michaels videos.