3500 calories burned in a day. My NSV

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
At the end of March I discovered that somebody I, even after a better part of a decade, hold very close to my heart got married. It was a rather shocking and mind blowing experience for me since this meant that the tiny ray of hope of us being together was now gone and that I was doomed to live with just the memories.

How is that relevant? Well, yesterday after talking to a friend of mine everything that I was trying to bury just came out screaming and the result was me visiting Taco Bell and diving into some icecream also. It was my spike day so not too worried about that. Today I woke up, still feeling like crap about the situation and life in general.

Typically, this would mean me saying screw it and going back into my old ways of playing WoW, eating junk food all day long, being a hermit who tries to avoid real life issues and possibly smoking again too. But instead I picked up my weights and started working out. Lots of biking on the stationary bike and weight lifting and calisthenics later I feel a bit better. Sore but better. So number 1 NSV was me burning 3500 calories today. Something I have been planning to do for a while. Second and more importantly to me is the fact that I successfully diverted a huge stressful blow and used it for something better for myself.

And now, a lolcat

598623_201893783266897_866817538_n.jpg

Replies

• Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Wow that is great, and a good idea, thanks for sharing.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Much respect. BTW, what's NSV?
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    That's a great NSV! It is awesome that you decided to do something positive for yourself when you were feeling down instead of giving up. Nice job! :flowerforyou:
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Non Scale Victory.

Congrats on the 3500.
    Boo to the other thing, they missed out!
  • KingDutchess1
    Options
    GREAT!!! It's sad though that sometimes it takes situations like that to bring out our inner strengths. I'm happy and motivated by the positive direction you forced your energy...

Hey you keep getting pissed like that (minus) the taco bell and ice-cream you will be a brick house in no time!

:laugh:
  • derrickhuynh
    Options
    I was just wondering are you using a heart rate monitor to count your calories burned? Or are you just using the myfitnesspal exercise settings?
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Non Scale Victory.

Thanks!
  • welsh_lass86
    welsh_lass86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow 3500 cals in one day thats impressive. Also congrats on not burying your head in the sand when you get crappy news. That's still something I struggle with all the time :smile:
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Great for you for turning a negative experience to a positive one!

Also, I love the cat. :heart:
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I also turn to exercise when I am angry/upset. I tend to run harder when I'm mad! Good for you!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I also turn to exercise when I am angry/upset. I tend to run harder when I'm mad! Good for you!

this is me. i play angry mad music when i run, just i can run harder longer.........

great job on the NSV!!! and yeah, boo on the other thing!!!
  • taunto
    Options
    I was just wondering are you using a heart rate monitor to count your calories burned? Or are you just using the myfitnesspal exercise settings?

I use MFP's database
  • taunto
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the support
  • derrickhuynh
    Options

I use MFP's database

Might I suggest using a HRM that calculates calories burned while taking into consideration your age, weight, and total time spent working out. The only reason I say this is cause many of the times using a database to estimate calories burned can be completely far off from the actual calories burned. I've recently gotten one and I love it and it gives me a much better estimate of how much calories I actually burn while doing Insanity workouts or cardio workouts. Not to say that MFP database isn't good, but I think everyone who tracks calories burned while working out would be much happier having a system that is individualized to themselves.
  • taunto
    Options

I use MFP's database

Might I suggest using a HRM that calculates calories burned while taking into consideration your age, weight, and total time spent working out. The only reason I say this is cause many of the times using a database to estimate calories burned can be completely far off from the actual calories burned. I've recently gotten one and I love it and it gives me a much better estimate of how much calories I actually burn while doing Insanity workouts or cardio workouts. Not to say that MFP database isn't good, but I think everyone who tracks calories burned while working out would be much happier having a system that is individualized to themselves.

Sure, buy me one and i'll start using it :)
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I had been at a plateau for the first few weeks here.

Then my ex called, out of the blue. It was the day after what would have been our 19th anniversary. We hadn't talked in more than 11 years. We talked for a few minutes, and he said he had to go, but he would, "Call you back when I have more time."

I took a deep breath and said, "You know what? Don't. Just don't."

He sounded very sad when he realized I was serious.

The next day, I was down 2 pounds, and it's been fairly steady since.
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    Congrats on turning something that could have been destructive into something constructive.

How do you post pictures?
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    im proud of you for making a bad situation your motivation. it says a lot about your character. :)
    keep up the good work. i hope to burn that many calories one day
  • taunto
    Options
    Thanks everybody
    Congrats on turning something that could have been destructive into something constructive.

How do you post pictures?

I think this should be of some help
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/104076-posting-pictures-on-the-boards-tutorial
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!