Discouraged & Defeated...but NOT giving up!

Options
Hi, my name is Erin and I just joined this site today. I am still trying to figure out how everything works, but I have heard from many people (and read lots of encouraging things) about how amazing this is as a tool on your weight loss journey. I am 22 years old, and have had a pretty hard life. With the ups and downs my life has offered, my weight has come along for the ride. Currently, I am the heaviest I have ever been (and most depressed). I joined a gym 7 days ago today, and have been working out daily since then. I quit smoking 6 days ago, and have started FINALLY eating healthy. My goal weight loss is 60 pounds and I hope this site helps me keep on track. Today was the first day I have weighed myself in over 3 years and I have spent my time since the weigh-in in tears. Today is the last day I feel sorry for myself before going back to the gym tomorrow and sweating this fat out of me. I was wondering if there were any tips you guys could give me to help me increase my workouts/diet to achieve this goal? And any encouragement is welcome! :) Look forward to gaining some fitness buddies.

Replies

• tamicando
    tamicando Posts: 24
    Options
    Welcome Erin, first of all, so proud of you for standing up for yourself in this journey, you are on the right track, feel free to add me, I'm on here daily, we are all in this together for support and motivation. I joined Mothers Day this April, today is my 35th day in a row logging in. :)) I have 93 pounds left to shed, I also learned something new today. When you first signed up to MFP they ask you how much your gonna workout and they add those calories into your totals of calories they give you for each day. So remember that when you go in and log your workouts into the exercise area. Don't eat your exercise calories too otherwise your eating them twice.

I went back into my goals area and changed myself to not active, and let MFP set those calories for me daily. Then you can choose to log in your own workouts or not, I'm not gonna log my workouts in, that way I'm not tempted to eat them. But you can keep track of them just in case you want a treat during the week you can draw from your workout calories, hope this helps.

Add me :smile:
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hello Erin I wish you good luck on this journey. Please feel free to add me. You can do it. Keep your chin up. Peace
  • robbielagard
    robbielagard Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Erin,
    Congrats on taking this lifechanging step. I can assure you that your journey will not be easy, but the rewards are out of this world. Your scale may have brought you to tears, but my tears were brought on by my doctor. I had to make a change. Remember, there may be times that you get discourage and jump off of the wagon, but once you run and catch up you will be fine. Also, you didnt gain the weight over night and you will not take it off overnight, so dont think because you go to the gym to work out, you are going to wake up the size you want to be. There is no quck fix. But I can guarantee you that if you stick with it, you will get the results you want. I am rooting for you baby girl. If I can do it you can too !!
  • lauravasseur
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track! Good luck...
  • Mandired78
    Mandired78 Posts: 69
    Options
    Welcome, Erin! Congrats on taking the first steps to a better you- you can do this! Feel free to add me!:smile:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Start simple and add new activities and goals before you get board.
    Reward yourself with a helpful tool.
    A fitbit, or pedometer, or runners socks.
    I make it so I earn my new running shoes. Then it feels like an accomplishment.
  • sheshemac2012
    sheshemac2012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congrats on joining. It sounds like you are off to a great start. Concentrate on how good you feel when you workout and treat your body well. Don't let that scale get to you. Weigh in no more than once a week, or possibly every two weeks. AND....if you ever slip a little (eat too much, skip a workout) don't EVER beat yourself up over it. Every moment is a new moment to start fresh. Feel free to add me.

sheshemac2012
  • Corpsman514
    Options
    Erin,

Welcome and congrats :) Do not let the scale get to you~ I have from time to time and given up from time to time, but THIS time it is not an option ~ YOU CAN DO THIS love :) Feel free to add me :)I could use a buddy myself.
  • MikeSchmidt254
    MikeSchmidt254 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP family!

Congratulations on discovering your newfound lifestyle. Stay focused and you'll acheive anything you put your mind to!
  • scottbs56
    scottbs56 Posts: 2
    Options
    i am in the same situation i have tried and i am not getting anywhere i am so frustrated i want to give up
  • scottbs56
    scottbs56 Posts: 2
    Options
    how do i get mfp to set goals
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Dang Erin, you decided to do it all at once! You just have to decide that this is what your gonna do and not let anyone or anything change you.
  • gabcab71
    gabcab71 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, Erin: You are a courageous person to tackle weight loss and smoking at the same time. I'm sure you can do it but, since I am nearly three times your age, I know that you must be gentle with yourself at the same time as you are disciplined. If you have a tough day and mess up on diet or exercise...don't beat yourself up. Tomorrow is a new day and the good Lord lets us begin again!
    I need to lose about 40 lbs. and I just got on board with my daughter as my buddy today. So far so good! I wish you peace and strength in your endeavors. ;0)
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Welcome Erin,
    I have been on MFP since March 25,2011 and lost 46lbs. Yea its sound like a small amount but its pushed me to limits that I never could do. I'm just looking into the future and not the past. Feel free to add me. Always looking for new friends
  • wer4unc
    wer4unc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Erin!

I am new here too. I also have a lot of weight to lose! I guess the best advice I can offer is try your best to make this fun!! If you like to cook, look up some awesome new recipes on here! Try to make working out FUN!! I hate the gym, so I am doing Zumba. I can do it at home and make a fool of myself dancing all I want and its SO FUN! I try to find all of the low cal foods I like that I can eat BIG and still lose to fill in the space of not eating too much of the higher cal foods I still want to enjoy. I am making a game of it. 4 lbs down my first week and I dont feel like I have deprived myself at all!!! Hope that helps! Add me if you want!
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hey Erin! I'm 22 too, and I understand how not loving your body can just add to how you feel inside. BUT TRUST ME, I've been doing this for about a month myself and I've been keeping myself accountable... and I feel great! I may not be much different looking, but I feel like I can breath and sit up taller and be more energetic.

YOU CAN DO IT GIRL!
  • ahawks98
    ahawks98 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi Erin, welcome and give yourself a pat on the back!! You should feel so proud that you are making choices that will benefit you for the rest of your life. I believe you are on the right path and the desire to be healthier will get you through this journey. Be aware that there will be times when you feel like giving up but I would suggest you look at your origiinal post and draw strength from it. Also, keeping a journal I believe will be helpful. If you acknowledge how you feel every day about life's struggles, it will be easier to seek help and encouragement rather than turning to food and despair. You are never alone, there are many here and I'm sure around you that will help you accomplish your goals. My name is Ana, please feel free to add me and send a note if you ever just want to "talk." I have three daughters and I understand struggles. Blessings to you!!!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Erin,
    You've got such a great attitude!

Kicking smoking, changing your diet and starting exercising....you are definitely out to prove that lifestyle changes are all encompassing!

First off, you have to have realized you didn't gain weight overnight and you aren't going to lose it all overnight. To make this work and be healthy, it will take time. 1-2 lbs a week on average is good. There will be weeks you don't lose any weight and there will probably be weeks you drop 3-4 lbs. Be patient and be diligent in your diet, that will drive your weight loss. You lose weight by your diet and gain fitness by your exercise.

For your diet, don't be afraid to eat enough. Watch your calories but eating back exercise calories is absolutely fine and might help your weight loss (keeping your body fueled and metabolism high is important).

Exercise, both cardio and resistance / weight training are important. So are rest days. If you want to work out 6 days a week, alternate workouts so you don't work the same muscle group on back to back days.

Stay hydrated too. Water is so important
  • insights2
    insights2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Best thing anyone told me...well, and sometimes they have to remind me...be patient with yourself! It took a while to gain the extra weight, it will take a while to shed it as well. Don't panic with ups and downs on the scale - you are in this for a lifetime of healthier eating and better care of yourself! Good luck!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Sound like you have the right plan. Just reminder keep on believing in yourself.