How many calories do you burn?

Options
I've noticed that most (ok, all) people doing the same exercises as me for the same duration seem to burn up twice the amount of calories as me. I don't know if this is because we are all different weights, or if I'm just a fail :laugh:

What are your stats, and how many calories do you usually burn from walking for half an hour at around 3 mph / 5 kph ?

I'm 5'5"
137.5 lbs
22.9 BMI
135 calories - this was on an incline too, waaah :'(

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have not used my hrm for walking yet, to be honest, but I don't think I burn much walking for 30 minutes either.
    I do know that for 30 minutes on the elliptical, I burn between 220 and 300. For cycling I burn around 235 in half an hour. For running at 12km/hr I burn about 400-450 per half hour. I shall try the treadmill for half an hour at your mentioned speed and an incline when I next go to the gym, with my hrm, and will see.

I am just under 5'10 and weigh 126/127Ibs.
  • Jerkulez
    Jerkulez Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'd burn a 726 :D

But I guess it mostly has to do with weight, the higher the BMI, the easier it is to lose weight or burn more calories
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that most (ok, all) people doing the same exercises as me for the same duration seem to burn up twice the amount of calories as me. I don't know if this is because we are all different weights, or if I'm just a fail :laugh:

What are your stats, and how many calories do you usually burn from walking for half an hour at around 3 mph / 5 kph ?

I'm 5'5"
    137.5 lbs
    22.9 BMI

If you walked for 30 min carrying 100lbs you would burn more calories, so someone who weighs 100lbs more than you would burn more calories doing the same activity.
  • thranowski
    thranowski Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Is the calories burned that MFP calculates accurate? Say I do my stationary bike for 40 minutes, MFP says I burn like 650 calories, but the display on the machine says I burn 500. Which is correct? The machine doesn't have any of my measurements.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I'm 5'5"
    137.5 lbs
    22.9 BMI

I'm 5'2"
    210.6 lbs
    38 BMI
    210 calories for 35 minutes on the treadmill doing hill intervals on level 3 at about 3mph
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Is the calories burned that MFP calculates accurate? Say I do my stationary bike for 40 minutes, MFP says I burn like 650 calories, but the display on the machine says I burn 500. Which is correct? The machine doesn't have any of my measurements.

because I have heard that MFP is a little high on the burns, I tend to take the lowest calorie count I get. Usually it is the machine ( both the treadmill and the seated elliptical at the gym ask for weight, the elliptical asks for age too).
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    I have an elliptical that "knows "my age n weight so I go by those numbers for calories, seems to me MFP is usually off anywhere between 50 and 100? I just go with the lowest number coz it will make me work harder! Its all just estimated anyway so err on the side of caution right? :wink:
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    stats from metabolic chamber for average guy.

sitting: 2cal/min
    standing: 3cal/min
    walking: 5cal/min

So for him 30min of exercise = 60calories from exercise only. And most everyone in here wouldn't be too far from those same stats. So the people claiming more than like 100 are 100% wrong. (though most think they are right due to misinformation) :(

Most people far overestimate their calorie burn from exercise, like exponentially so.

Here's a good example, going for a 45min run in the same metabolic chamber but different test, 45min averaged amongst 20 guys was about 420 calories burned. (metabolic chambers are 100% accurate, this was their total) That was at ~155bpm heartrate and 70% VO2 max. Compare those same stats to Heartrate monitors, and see what you get. the one I pulled up said 700 calories per min. I would imagine most of yours say along the same thing.

Congrats, now you know why to not worry about exercise calories so much.

As a general rule, if you want to know how much you're burning, start at 2cal/min for walking, up to 14cal/min for a marathon speed max cardio pace. (which most everyone on here could not hope to do) Most people will prob top out at around 10cal/min and work their way up as fitness increases.

Why the discrepancy in what HRM's report? Easy, they are all based on the same MET survey from like 50 years ago before metabolic chambers were able to show more accurate results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_equivalent
    Moreover, even the definition of MET is problematic when used for specific persons.[4][5] By convention, 1 MET is considered equivalent to the consumption of 3.5 ml O2·kg−1·min−1 (or 3.5 ml of oxygen per kilogram of body mass per minute) and is roughly equivalent to the expenditure of 1 kcal per kilogram of body weight per hour. This value was first experimentally derived from the resting oxygen consumption of a particular subject (a healthy 40-year-old, 70 kg man) and must therefore be treated as a convention. Since the RMR of a person depends mainly on lean body mass (and not total weight) and other physiological factors such as health status, age, etc., actual RMR (and thus 1-MET energy equivalents) may vary significantly from the kcal/(kg·h) rule of thumb. RMR measurements by calorimetry in medical surveys have shown that the conventional 1-MET value overestimates the actual resting O2 consumption and energy expenditures by about 20% to 30% on the average, whereas body composition (ratio of body fat to lean body mass) accounted for most of the variance.
  • RhianAlyssa
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I also take my reading from the machine as the treadmill knows my weight/heart rate, and MFP seems to add 50+ cals more than what the machine says. I try to avoid eating my exercise calories as I don't know how accurate these calculations are, I don't want to eat over what I'd burned!
  • thranowski
    thranowski Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it from the machine for the same reasons some of you said: I'd rather undershoot it and work harder than overshoot and end up eating most of what I burned!