Insanity workout questions

Options
I am excited. I just got the insanity workout dvds, and now that I got a new place I have much more space to workout. My friend lost 115 lbs with the Insanity workouts. However, the Insanity schedule is to workout 6 days a week. But I also belong to a gym and dont' want my money to go to waste. Is it okay like to cut it down, say 3 days insanity, and 3 days gym (with combo of weights) or is it best to just stick to Insanity for 3 months to see more results? I got to figure out whether I should keep my gym, which I do enjoy going to.

Thank you for your help and insight.

fitforlife34

Replies

• SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes. I didn't do the tapes, but I've done 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels, and I also did not want to waste my membership money. I also like to swim, and I ain't gonna do both on the same day! I would do it every 3 days, like (1) Insanity (2) Cardio (3) lifting (4) insanity) (5) cardio (6) lifting (7) REST With only minimal cardio on lifting days, no need to over-train. You could also do (1) Insanity (2) cardio AND lifting (3) REST repeat for a simpler method.

From what I hear, Insanity is cardio with weights, so your gym stuff will only serve to supplement it, and lifting heavy (and there's plenty of threads on that here) will help preserve muscle even better on a deficit. Weight bearing exercise is also good for preventing osteoporosis and Insanity and cardio (except for like, swimming or row machine) could be tough on your knees/joints.

Anyhow, this is what I did (more or less) with 30DS and I've lost body fat that way and revealed some nice muscle. Insanity sounds like a great program but it's even better when supplemented by stuff I mentioned earlier. It's like what, 90 days? Well, no one said it couldn't be 180 or 270 days! Just prolonging the party!

I hope I helped- and I hope it's not too much bro-science! haha
  • ash_can
    ash_can Posts: 16
    Options
    *Insanity is about 63 days and doesn't use hand weights at all. Just your body weight for resistance*

Do whatever you feel is right. I know of a lot of people that add in a workout on the recovery days when Insanity is their main workout.I'll probably start doing this also, since the calorie burn during recovery days isn't as high as normal Insanity days. I know of people that do Insanity in the morning, and work out after work. It really all depends on what your schedule is like.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! you really helped answer my question. Yeah, we'll see. Usually I get bored of workout videos real fast, but I have heard nothing but good things with these videos. I heard some people who are fit and go regularly to gym struggle with these videso.

Yeah, I did Jillian Michaels too, the 30 day book workouts. They were really good, and I saw definition real fast. I should go back to those, but I don't get to look at a hot guy like Shaun T the whole time LOL.
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hubby did the P90X so if the insanity dvd's are similar in they are a break up of cardio, yoga, strength, abs etc. Find out what it is you like doing the most at the gym - is it cardio, strength/weights, see if it works for you to do a 'swap' day that still follows the insanity programs suggestions and do that at the gym instead. You'll be motivated to stick with the gym side of things to keep going there, plus the social side of things can add to motivation too. You are such a good girl mate, you make me smile seeing how far you've come. I have been zig zagging up and down on MFP and with fitness routines and just gotta kick my own *kitten* to get into a regular routine I like again. Winter sux for doing fitness at first, once you're moving its great of course! cheers and have soooo much fun. Have other MFPers doing Insanity and loving it. I'll get there one day. It is a goal.....

Cheerio
    Lou