Starting out... I'm clueless!

Options
I have a 1200 calorie diet and I do at least an hour of walking 5 days a week. I'm on day three right now and I can't make myself eat all 1200! I'm clocking in around... 800 a day.
I just can't make myself do it. Is anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Take a spoon, and a jar of peanut butter. Problem solved. You don't even need to eat much of that either.

EDIT: Peanut butter is really good for you and taste great. It's just so calorie dense that I can't eat much of it. a large spoonfull of peanut butter will hit you up for 200 calories easy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/peanut-butter
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    800 isn't going to cut it for all day. Try a smoothie or something :)
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I did at first but not now! PB is great, mixed nuts, avocados, cheese, Kind Bars. Get those calories in!!
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have this exact problem as well. 1200 is so low so I bumped it up to 1300 and began more workouts but I evan found myself eating around 700-900 a day. The trick is high density calorie foods. Things like grains (rice, cereal) and treat yourself every once in a while. Smoothies are a great wa to get your calories in as Ellie mentioned :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have a 1200 calorie diet and I do at least an hour of walking 5 days a week. I'm on day three right now and I can't make myself eat all 1200! I'm clocking in around... 800 a day.
    I just can't make myself do it. Is anyone else having this problem?

not really, you haven't told us enough about yourself to know if it would be a problem for you. I don't think eating peanut butter or gulping down olive oil is necessary to hit a number.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If u can't eat over 800cals how come u want to lose weight?
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try more intense exercise. Also lik was previously stated peanut butter is calorie dense. As are other nut butters, eggs, and nuts.
  • takechances
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 190 lbs.
  • takechances
    Options
    And it's not that I don't WANT to eat over 800, I'm just really nervous about eating too much, and I think it's making not eat enough..trust me, if I was satisfied with 800 a day, I wouldn't be on this site. :)
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    And it's not that I don't WANT to eat over 800, I'm just really nervous about eating too much, and I think it's making not eat enough..trust me, if I was satisfied with 800 a day, I wouldn't be on this site. :)

Yeah, I went through that in the very beginning of my journey. And because of it I ended up working my butt off for 2 weeks and saw ZERO results in weight loss. Why? Cause I wasn't eating enough for fear that I wouldn't lose enough weight.

And everything that I have read through my research says that even 1200 calories daily is way too little. I ate no more than 1200 calories daily for over a year. I've gotten smarter. ;)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options

That's good, because only eating 800 calories a day will shut down the metabolism of most people.

The 1200 net calorie goal (food calories - exercise calories = net) already includes the calorie deficit required to lose weight based on whatever goal you put in. 3500 calories to lose 1 lb. 1 lb per week loss, 3500 / 7 = 500 calorie deficit built into your daily net calorie goal.

If you eat to little, you run the risk of shutting down your metabolism. You would have to eat a lot to even come close to gaining weight.

Try to incorporate higher calorie density foods. Nut butters, cheese, nuts, milk, yogurt....things like this can give you the nutritious calories you need to fuel your body.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I eat way over 800 calories and I lose consistently. Don't be afraid! I agree w/the others - if you're afraid to eat a large amount of food eat more calorie dense foods: nuts, PB, cheese, greek yogurt, eggs, etc....
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    If your 5"8 190 lbs you need more than 1200 calories a day. Im 5"2 112lbs. I have a base of 1300 calories a day and I eat back all exercise calories. It helps trust me :-)
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of eating too much if your goal is only 1,200. 1,200 for most people is actually probably too little, unless you have a truly significant amount of weight to lose. MFP already calculates in a deficit for the day. If you do no extra exercise and just hit your goal in calories you should STILL lose roughly the amount of weight you set it for. Eating less than that, far from helping you out, is actually probably bad for you in the long run. So go ahead and eat a bit more and hit your goal, your body will be happier.
  • Woly
    Woly Posts: 26
    Options
    Uh, why is this a problem? Are you sure you're logging all your calories correctly? All the little things really add up, I can't imagine being satisfied with 800 calories but if you are, nbd, just go with what your body is telling you.
  • usplus8
    usplus8 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just joined today and I'm looking for a group for motivation! I haven't lost for 5 years and I'm 50 lbs overweight.
    Elisabeth
  • takechances
    Options
    I'm logging every last bit. I'm just very strict on myself. I don't drink anything but milk or water, I haven't been snacking, and I've pretty much limited my sugar to very little.
    Butttt, my dad brought home sonic tonight! I made it to 1160! :)