Do you have PMDD?

Options
Does anybody else have PMDD?

If so, what is your course of treatment? What methods do you use to cope? Is it hard for you to manage your weight?

Has anyone found relief from Magniesium supplementation? And other alternative methods?

I'd like to hear what other women do to treat symptoms and find relief. I'd like to hear from women who have actually been diagnosed with PMDD, not PMS. (It really is very diffrent)

Replies

• Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yep, sure do.

I have been on seasonique BC for 3 years now. I only have 4 cycles a year. Instead of having symptoms 12 times a year, I only have it 4 times a year.

I was on Yaz, didn't help.
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    I have been on Yaz for over a year and it literally changed my life. It was night and day difference. Before I got on Yaz, I was having horrible symptoms for almost the entire month, I was a prisoner to my emotions. As soon as I got on the Yaz it was if the sunshine turned on for me, and I haven't looked back since.

As always, talk to your doctor about what would be best for you.
  • Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have it something fierce. Going through it as we speak. I am so mean to my husband and don't know why. I have cried all day long...It is horrible.

I don't tolerate BC Pills because of severe weight gain. I have been taking Wellbutrin only the 2 weeks that I am prone to the PMDD. It helps alot, but I still have the symptoms.

I too am still searching for help. Short of a hysterectomy.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I have it something fierce. Going through it as we speak. I am so mean to my husband and don't know why. I have cried all day long...It is horrible.

I don't tolerate BC Pills because of severe weight gain. I have been taking Wellbutrin only the 2 weeks that I am prone to the PMDD. It helps alot, but I still have the symptoms.

I Was taking prozac and still having symptoms. I gained SOOOOO much weight after I started it. I gained around 75 pounds in the less than 2 years I was on it.

I used Magnesium supplements for a year and it worked, I just had gas all the time. I just started taking them again, I'd rather have gas! :grumble:
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    YES!!! It is the WORST! For almost a year I was convinced I was a crazy person until I started tracking these outbreaks. Its so frustrating! I'm not sure about you other ladies, but for me, its like I can't control anything in my life during these "rough patches." I'm on constant crying outbreaks, then I'm terribly mean, sneaky, angry, sad, happy -- all in about 10 minutes -- and it has gotten to the point where the loved ones in my life are being affected so negatively. My boyfriend tries to understand and help me through it, but I can't blame him for wanting to run away screaming.

I just started the magnesium...I'm willing to try anything! Its comforting to finally realize I'm not crazy and something physical, not imaginary, is the problem.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Dealing with it as we speak (poor uterus).

I was on Fluoxetine which dulled everything. And I mean everything. All my thoughts, my emotions, my sex drive, even thoughts and feelings not related to PMDD, were dulled. So I went off of it. I didn't feel that the results were worth the side effects.

I'm trying to care for it naturally with vitamins and supplements and water and exercise. Oh and heating pads for when the cramps get bad (my doc has hinted at the fact that I might also have endometriosis, too).

I've read that L-tryptophan and chasteberry are two good supplements to include in your PMDD regime.

Cheers lovely ladies. Big hugs,
    Katie (aka Kekibird)
  • Kekibird
    Options
    I just started the magnesium...I'm willing to try anything! Its comforting to finally realize I'm not crazy and something physical, not imaginary, is the problem.

Hugs, Semeyer. I totally know the feeling. I felt totally insane too. I still do but I'm more aware of why.

I've heard calcium supplements help too, especially if you are like me and have the migraines that come along with PMDD.

Maybe we should start a PMDD support thread on the forum here. Where we can all check in and lament our monthly insanity together.

Katie (aka Kekibird)
  • Kekibird
    Options

Sigh.... Yeah I feel ya on this one, too, Skittles. I was begging to have my lady bits removed yesterday I was so cranky and blubbering.

Katie (aka Kekibird)
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    @Kikibird -- My doctor just put me on Fluoxetine :( I'm so scared to start taking it. I don't want to feel numb -- This is only day two that I have started it and so far I just feel really tired...almost foggy.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I was recentlly diagnosed when I changed Dr.'s this spring.

I am on a low dose of fluoxitine and have great results.

I finally have my life back and I am enjoying it after a couple of years of turning into a wild evil woman for a week every month.

*hugs* for everyone it is an awful disease.

Karen