Effect on depression with exercise

Options
Exercise should help depression and elevate your mood. Has anyone felt happier or different?

Replies

• nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    They say it helps... not helping so far for my PTSD and anxiety. But i keep doing it and hope for a better out come
  • Betrbleave
    Betrbleave Posts: 37
    Options
    I think its worse. Just gives me stress on what to eat now too
  • Paris11loves
    Options
    I suffer from severe depression as a result of what is suspected to be Bipolar disorder. Although at first it was a little daunting and stressful, the idea of counting calories and such, it has really helped me elevate my mood. I find now if I don't exercise, after a while I feel myself slipping a little bit. If you feel like counting calories might be a little overwhelming, just start exercising and implement the rest later. There are a lot of studies to prove that exercise helps and although I laughed at them for years, they have some truth.

Good Luck :)

Edited to add:
    I also find it helps to try and enjoy exercising and not look at it as a chore. For example, I watch TV on my computer while on the stationary bike so I can kind of distract myself.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It should help some in most cases. Research suggests it does. This disorder has such a wide variety of causes and I suppose it is a lot like a headache... Some have headache because of migraine, others because of tumors, others because of sinus, others because of over-indulging, others because of caffeine withdrawal... The solution for one does not mean it will work for another because the causes are different... Same it is with Depression.
  • shewillstruggle
    Options
    The endorphins I get are insane! I suffer from depression and honestly exercising has been the best medicine. I find that working out outdoors rather than being cooped up in a gym makes all of the difference as well. I did a 7 mile run today because I was having a verry bad morning and now I feel great. Just make sure to eat the proper foods on a daily basis to give yourself enough energy and your body and mind will thank you. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It has helped me tremendously- I have diagnosed major depressive disorder and OCD and with regular exercise and proper nutrition, UNDER THE CARE OF MY DOCTOR, I've been able to lower or discontinue almost all of my medication. I also had a contributing vitamin deficiency that's been corrected, as well, so I can't say that it was entirely exercise.
  • Betrbleave
    Betrbleave Posts: 37
    Options
    at least it helps some people
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes! If I don't take a my thirty minute walk each day (at LEAST!) then I start feeling bummed out and aimless. If I don't exercise for two or three days, the actual depression comes back. Exercise is one of the major reasons I was able to quit antidepressants after taking them for years, and still function well in life. It definitely requires a lot of dedication and upkeep, way more than popping a pill, but the benefits speak for themselves!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Me! A zillion times yes. Before starting to exercise - I was on heavily depressed. I took 3 antidepressants/anxiety meds every day to just cope.
    I started working out and eating better. At first it was kind of forced. I had to break the depression cycle so it was a fake it till you make it sort if thing. I started feeling better almost immediately. Especially right after a workout. Slowly I reduced my meds and I've been off entirely for about a year. If I get lazy and don't go to the gym..,, I feel it. I know now I will never be able to quit this or I'll risk going back there again.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I defintiely have! It helps me a lot especially since I lost my job and get down a lot about it stressing about money!
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It helped me. I've been slowly working my way out these past 2 months. I was in a deep depression for about a year due to losing my job, getting out of a relationship, losing touch with most friends due to my travel job, getting off drugs, and losing more friends. A lot of things happened all at once, and I lost all of the structure in my life. I was in a dark place for a long time.

The drugs and booze were just a temporary cover-up. I needed to find out what actually was causing me to be unhappy in the first place. I came to the realization that in order to feel better about my life in general, I had to fix myself first. Physically and mentally. That's where I am now. I started walking outdoors at a huge park near my house and just started enjoying my surroundings. I walked by myself and did a lot of soul-searching. After awhile, I started enjoying it and wanted others close to me to experience it with me. Every time I see someone outside running, walking, or playing a sport I feel somewhat connected to them, because we're all out here trying to better ourselves.

I still distance myself from my old friends, partially because I'd rather not face the difficult personal questions, but also because I don't really need them in my life anymore to be happy. I'm looking forward to meeting new people that share my new fitness interests. Starting from scratch isn't easy, but I'm finding it to be worth it each day.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It helps me a lot. A LOT. I've always dealt with depression and nothing fixes me like exercise.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I believe it affects people differently. I have Bi-polar and I also suffer from high anxieties. My depression is up and down (even being on the right meds) Anxiety issues are worse. Some days are better than others though. I guess we all have our off days. For me, ive been fluctuating between 190 and 195 for the past 2 weeks or so. but my depression has been ok
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm completely off all antidepressants :)
    Hasn't really made a difference to my PTSD though.
  • missemily1124
    Options
    Didn't do anything for my anxiety/depression. In fact I had to up my meds after I starting losing weight. I hope it turns out better for you! Good luck :smile:
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It helps me a LOT but my depression is mild.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    it has definitely helped me! it doesn't mean i never get depressed, but many people have told me that they've noticed i'm much happier (and it's true!!!!! i love being smaller and working towards goals that i am actually achieving!)
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    It didn't help me at all except on the very rare occasion. Everyone's different though, so it could help you perhaps.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    definitely helps. I suffer from schizo-affective disorder and depression runs in my family. My husband noticed how much happier, energetic, and less often I would get episodes with exercise. For over 2 weeks now, I've been unable to workout due to a herniated disc and I'm already feeling myself falling back into a slump. Husband said I see down a lot more. HUGE difference...