Looking to buy a yoga DVD...recommendations?

Options
I have noticed quite a few people log yoga for their exercise and I am interested in trying it. I am not a member of a gym, and would like to do this at home. Are there any DVDs you would recommend?

Thanks!

Replies

• hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Brian Kest Power Yoga, he gives great direction throughout the routine & there are three routines on the one DVD BUT I have only done the one, as I believe they get progressively harder.

Russ
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for replying!
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    I love yoga and while I like to take classes some of my favorite yoga DVD's are by Bryan Kest, Baron Baptiste, Eionn Finn, Janet Stone and a real oldie that I go back to quite often...Ali McGraw, Yoga mind and body..it's an oldie but goodie to me. You can find most of these on Amazon. Good luck and enjoy!
  • YogaLarva
    YogaLarva Posts: 16
    Options
    Sara Ivanhoe has a dvd with a bunch of 20 minute routines on it - they're for weight loss, but still a good introduction to yoga. Not too much of a commitment if you decide you hate yoga, but a good intro to learn some basic moves.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you can, get a good "in person" yoga lesson. even when in a class, it is hard to get the correct pose if you are new. once you learn some of the poses, then go to a dvd. you can get turned off or even hurt if you dont know how to get into the pose. it's not as easy as some of the dvd's make it look.
  • squatz_n_oatz
    Options
    If you have netflix, there's a "10 minute solutions: yoga" video on there, as well as a couple of other titles. The total run time is about 50 minutes and you can do all the mini segments at once if it suites you.
    I'm not a yoga devotee so I don't know how it compares to other videos or classes. I'm trying to do it more often lately since I've got the flexibility of a brick. :wink:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I love Bryan Kest, but his yoga might be tough for someone unfamiliar with yoga. I would second the Sara Ivanhoe/10 minute solutions. Whichever way you go, consider watching the DVD before you do it. In many of the asanas, you really may not be able to (or shouldn't) look at the TV.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like Rodney Yee. I have the Core Cross Train Yoga and Power Yoga DVD's. The CCYT is challenging but so relaxing. His direction on breathing really helps with this DVD and with my interval training.

I agree with previous posters that it's best to take a class first to make sure your form is correct on each pose.
  • chickabee5
    chickabee5 Posts: 90
    Options
    I want to try yoga too! I bought Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown from Amazon but haven't tried it yet because i'm still waiting for it to be shipped haha :-)
  • kirstenified
    Options
    The best things to do, if you haven't done yoga and are able to, is to go to a class. They can help you learn each pose and ensure you are doing them correctly.

That being said, I love doing yoga at home too - my all time favorite is Ali McGraw: Yoga, Mind & Body. I had this on VHS back in the day and loved it s much I got it on DVD. The music and scenery are fabulous and I feel great when I'm doing it.

Another favorite of mine is Yoga Shakti by Shiva Rea which you can customize to make up different routines - make 'em longer or shorter depending on your schedule, more calming or more invigorating...

Rodney Yee ones are good too and generally any by the company Gaiam seem to be solid as well.
  • melinda_great
    melinda_great Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    in person is best, but when i first started i got a DVD by gaiam with Rodney Yee and Patricia Walden. Then I got Rodney Yee's Yoga for Flexibility and Power Yoga. I highly recommend a DVD with Rodney Yee. (and let's pretend that didn't rhyme lol)