New blog post for success and overcoming RA

Options
adelly69
adelly69 Posts: 3 Member
Check out "at this time" blog by adelly69

Last year at this time I was working out 5 days a week at the local Magic Johnson 24hr fitness.  Stuck at 222lbs with 25% body fat, but thinking I was in decent shape.  Fell into a state of depression for 6 months,  binged on fast food until I reached 255lbs.  I came to my senses about mid Oct of 2011 and got back on MFP to begin the transformation.  I also suffer from advanced RA which keeps me from being as active as I've always been dating back to my college basketball days.  I decided to use a more holistic approach regarding my RA, leave the gym and start walking with light resistance exercises.

My doctor suggested getting down to my BMI weight which is 205lbs for my RA health benefits.  I have only been below 210lbs once since college, back during my pro cycling training career in 2004-2006 before RA.  

I am now at 205lbs and heading toward my target weight of 200lbs and feeling better than ever.  My associates think i'm to thin since I'm 6' 4" but my mirror says yes every time I look.  I am now working to bring down my body fat % to 12-13%, now at 15% and increase my muscle max to 42-45%, now at 39-40%.

Thanks MFP friends and application for all your help!!!!!!!!! 

Replies

• AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    Good for you! Glad to know what you are doing is working!

I've got something going on with my joints, too - just had the RA blood work done and am meeting with the doc on Monday to see what is going on. This is the main reason why I am getting healthy - I know the first thing he is going to tell me is that I need to lose weight. Thank you for posting this!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You rock sir--period.
  • ChristmasCrystal
    ChristmasCrystal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! I have RA too, diagnosed when I was 18 years old. Not fun! I lost 40 lbs and then stalled for a while because I wasn't able to work out enough. Then my doctor put me on remicade infusions, I was able to work out a lot more effectively. I started MFP and I'm down 88.4lbs as of this morning! I'm a complete gym rat now and I LOVE it!!
  • sdbrown9
    sdbrown9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was glad to see your post about the Remicade injections helping with working out more effectively! I go back on Humira along with MTX, and am looking forward to not being as fatigued as I have been in the past six months. What a great story you have, tell the world and help raise awareness for the disease and also how to do the things we can to make the effects not quite as bad!
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Cheers to all the RA peeps who push thru & have success! Thanks for the inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!