Protein powder shakes in the morning? Good or Bad?

Options
I would like to know if protein powder shakes/smoothies are good to drink in the morning? My dilema that I have is being to scared that having that much protein will do the opposite of what I want. I feel it would make me gain weight because you get more protein during the day from other stuff as well, correct me if im wrong. I always wanted to try them because they would be fast and filling but scared because of my reasoning. Also I generally only like to eat between 200-280 cals for breakfast so if anyone knows of any good powder thats not that expensive with low suger content that would be helpful too :)

Replies

• ijiiii
    ijiiii Posts: 61
    Options
    You probably should only drink a protein shake right after a workout since the protein will help your body heal and grow. Also be weary of cheap protein powders because a lot of companies don't put exactly what they list on their products. Probably the best company out there is Optimum Nutrition.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good. Protein farts, those can be weaponized.
    I would like to know if protein powder shakes/smoothies are good to drink in the morning? My dilema that I have is being to scared that having that much protein will do the opposite of what I want. I feel it would make me gain weight because you get more protein during the day from other stuff as well, correct me if im wrong.

Weight gain is caused from a caloric surplus. If your protein shakes do not put you in a calorie surplus they will not induce weight gain.
    I always wanted to try them because they would be fast and filling but scared because of my reasoning. Also I generally only like to eat between 200-280 cals for breakfast so if anyone knows of any good powder thats not that expensive with low suger content that would be helpful too :)

Optimum Nutrition is a good brand and not too expensive, relatively speaking.

Lastly, protein powder is just protein. Think of it like adding a piece of chicken breast to your diet, for lack of a better way to explain it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I had a 330 calorie shake / smoothie this morning, with 16g of protein (from 20g of protein powder).

I could reduce it's calories by removing :

2 tbs single cream - 60 calories
    1 tbsp milled flaxseed with nuts - 50 calories
    1 tbsp chia seed - 50 calories

which together would halve the calories for only a small protein reduction. So you can definitely have a protein shake that doesn't go overboard on protein or calories. Protein itself is only 4 calories per gram.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Protein is good definitely and no it will not cause weight gain. It's just a necessary macronutrient, especially when dieting. It's the calories that affect your weight so if you're in a surplus then you'll gain. Protein does nothing of that sort.