Chipotle Serving Sizes?

Options
I've been going to Chipotle a lot lately. I usually get a Burrito Bowl with brown rice, chicken, black beans, tomato salsa, and fajita vegetables. The serving size is huge, so I usually get it for lunch and hardly make a dent in it, and end up having the rest for dinner (sometimes can't even finish at dinner). I've checked the nutrition information and it says my combo is only 395 calories. That can't possibly be for the entire bowl. The calories are based on 4 oz of chicken, 4 oz of brown rice, 2.5 oz of fajita vegetables, and 3.5 oz of tomato salsa. I've watched them assemble the bowl and those are some pretty generous scoopfuls of ingredients. It definitely looks like more than 4 oz of chicken and 4 oz of rice. Does anyone else eat at Chipotle? Do you trust their calorie information?

Replies

• TokenFatGirlNoMore
    Options
    I work at Chipotle and eat there at least twice a week.

Where are you getting your nutritional info from? According to the calculator on our website, your bowl is 510 calories. Portion sizes are supposed to be standardized but sometimes the crew doesn't know better, or is lazy. Rice is supposed to be a heaping spoonful. The chicken as well.

Here is our nutritional info calculator. http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/menu/nutrition_calculator/nutrition_calculator.aspx
  • rachelaughe
    rachelaughe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I meant the salad I had yesterday was 395 calories. I think last time I got my burrito bowl it was supposed to be 515 calories, which still seems really good for that serving size. I guess it just seemed too good to be true. Thanks :)
  • jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    Options
    It is correct unless your server decides to be generous with the amount he gives you
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I say 515 for the bowl is correct. I just started eating there, and for what I'm given, I believe it to be accurate.
  • acontos13
    acontos13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I watch what they put on. Sometimes they will give me a heaping pile of cheese and sometimes just a sprinkle. I adjust their "standard" serving size on that, if it looks like alot I will calculate 1.5 servings. I eat chipotle 2-3 times per week and I LOVE it. I have consistantly been losing 1-4 lbs per week so I must be calculating it ok. I get a salad, chicken, mild and medium salsa, sour cream, cheese and it comes out to about 512 cals. On days that I might be too close to my limits on cals or fats I omit the sour cream and add a little fat free sour cream from home. Also, because it is not too high in calories I have been known to get double chicken to boost my protein intake if im short for the day.
  • rachelaughe
    rachelaughe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I feel better. I do tend to over estimate calories (if I order a burger, I tend to assume it is at least 2000 calories.) I just get a little paranoid because I have come so far and now that I am starting to eat more "normally" I am terrified of falling back.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i generally think the calorie information is correct, i love it b/c like you i can get 2 meals out of a burrito bowl, if not more. great way to get some tasty protein!
  • nanagain
    nanagain Posts: 20
    Options
    that's exactly what i had today for lunch. well, 1/2 of it anyway. and right on the menu it said the calories were 620. now i'm very confused. LOL