Everytime I change my diet I get sick and yucky.

Options
May be TMI. But I'd like some advice
:(

I'm eating more fruit, eating more vegies, eating lots of salad, eating protein often and added good fats to diet. I still eat a bit of junk food.

But I got sick, a cold, then my skin breaks out into into all these gross sores, by bowel habits are just all eww.

I'm eating healthier, exercising a bit yet I feel and look terrible. It happens EVERY BLOODY TIME I try something new. Ie changing diet, having supplements, getting bodywork. It's like my body is throwing out toxins or something. But I hate it so much, it's such a disincentive (is that a word?) to keep going.

It's like Mr Burns on the Simpsons when he goes to the doctor and the dr says he has everything, but can't get sick because they're all trying to get through the door at the same time. So when I do nothing, I am certaintly not healthy, but I don't get these annoying acute things, and skin things and bowel things.

I have lost a bit of weight, my lower tummy has got a bit wobblier but my upper abdomen is still hard as rock. (For anyone who remembers my body shape whine).

The only thing I can think of is drink more water, but even that upsets my precious diddums digestive system when I drink a lot.

Help! Will this end? And be worth it. What can I do

Replies

• Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    And does it happem to anyone else?
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    Bump. I fell asleep after I posted this. So tired. :(
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I would take this to a doctor.

The only thing I can think of is that, in your quest to eat healthier, you've added something you are sensitive to. Are you making these changes all at once, or are you adding them one at a time and this happens each time you make a small change? Also, do you try keeping with the changes, and if you do, do the symptoms eventually pass?
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You should speak with your doctor Best of luck
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I would definitely call your doctor and talk to him/her about it.

That being said, the first month or so of my "diet" changes was terrible. I had horrible digestion issues, my skin broke out in these weird little bumps (and I've ALWAYS had very clear skin - even as a teenager!) and my hair was even greasy. I don't really know what it was, but after a bit of better eating it DID get better. I truly think it is our body's way of getting the toxins out of our system. I found the more water I drank, the better off I was.

I do not take vitamins or other supplements (my body is sensitive to some additive in all vitamins and most supplements). I also have a lot of other allergies, so I am careful about what I eat or drink.

Good Luck.
  • Shaunky68
    Shaunky68 Posts: 28
    Options
    I say consult your doctor, have a full physical exam, bloodwork if they order it. One question pops up immediately....diabetes?? Your doctor will explore all issues, just be candid with him/her. Don't leave anything out during your visit. My body went through may odd things when I changed my life a year ago. Best of luck!!
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    Thanks for suggesting the doctor.

I haven't changed a single thing. I went through all of my food, it's still the same. Well I've taken somethings completely out, but haven't put anything extra in.

chevy88grl, thats kind of what I am talking about. I was thinking of adding some supplements. But maybe as I am so sensitive maybe I should wait it out for a bit.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it could be food allergies. but definitely see a doctor
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    Why would you get sick when you eat a bit healthier.
    I am annoyed, and miserable, but it's not that bad.... Honestly no where near bad enough for me to be considering the doctor.
    Just wondered if it had happened to anyone else
  • Ironphoenix
    Options
    Hey :) don't let it dishearten you. Shows you just how badly your body needs to change to make you feel well and healthy. Ok so take your normal diet and add one healthy thing to it every couple of days. If you try something and your fine then keep it in. If you try it and you feel unwell take it back out again. Are you adding a lot of fruit? and how are your fibre levels? Big changes in fructose or fibre can affect the body greatly. Sounds to me like your body is trying to detox and possibly food allergies. Do you take any pro or probiotics? Will ask you to friend me, could take a look at your diary :) I have nutritional training and would love to help if I can. I also agree with everyone that it would be a good idea to go to doc and get them to run bloods, make sure they do calcium and iron levels too. Don't give up, your quest to being healthy is worth it and I'm sure you'll feel great in the long run! X
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you won't be getting sick from "eating healthier" but that can mean all sorts! opening your diary might help? simply increasing your fruit and vege intake wouldn't make you sick - but it might make your bowels a bit looser if they are not used to fibre.
    likewise if you have suddenly greatly reduced your calorie intake to too low for you you might run out of energy and feel tired and run down.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Why would you get sick when you eat a bit healthier.
    I am annoyed, and miserable, but it's not that bad.... Honestly no where near bad enough for me to be considering the doctor.
    Just wondered if it had happened to anyone else

I can certainly understand your frustration. I truly think I shocked the heck out of my body when I stopped eating all the stuff I used to eat. It took my body awhile to flush the nastiness out of it. (I also find that if I don't eat well for a long stretch of time now and then go back to eating better, it happens again. For example, I've been out of town in a hotel this entire week for work.. now, I am home and getting back into my normal eating habits. I'm just waiting for the digestion and skin issues to start since my body will almost go through a detox for a couple weeks afterward). I would go to the doctor and have them run tests to insure you're okay, but I think it is just your body adjusting.
  • bbrat333
    bbrat333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The sores sound like an allergic reaction. The digestive issues may be your body adjusting to increased fiber, or could be part of the allergy issues as well. Or it could all be something else, but like everyone else I agree either try your changes one little bit at a time (to see if you can pin point whatever is causing these reactions) or meet with a doctor to see if they can help you in planning your weight loss in a way that will minimize your symptoms.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    I'll add ya. But don't judge my junk food :P

I eat loads and loads and loads. Like a lot. lol

It seems like my body is extra sensitive and been running on crap for so long.

I am eating more fruit. I remember the first day or so I had three bit of fruit and I felt blarg.
  • tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    For me, everytime I have 'junk food' my body plays up now. It never used to because I had normalised it so much. But now, I get stomach cramps and indigestion etc if I have a 'bad day'. I can't really judge without seeing your diary, but maybe you need to keep junk food to one or 2 days a week, and just know you're going to feel poorly on those days...?!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Its probably not eating healthy that makes you sick, but if youre worried about a food allergy see a doctor. You're probably really run down from not getting enough vitamins and minerals. Iron is a good place to start to to start building up that immune system.

I feel AWFUL when I eat junk food, I cant imagine what people who eat it all the time must feel like, it makes me so sick. I would really cut that junk out.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    I would say my healthy food intake has tripled and my crappy for has decreased to about 10% of what it was. It's not sustainable for me to cut it out completely. (I've been there before)

I will open my diary for a little while for those curious peeps :)
  • tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a little more variety... Some days you are eating up to 12 portions of fruit and veg... I have been told that too much fruit and veg can upset your system, but I don't know how true this is. I am around 6 portions a day...
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    Maybe more variety, I am very set in my ways... I don't like change, like my body >< . I am pretty sure my servings of fruit and veg aren't whole servings. But maybe it's still too much.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    Could you possibly be having withdrawal symptoms? They do say the addiction to junk food is similar to nicotine and heroin

it changes your hormone balances - and i know when my hormones are off i get breakouts/feel yucky etc