Anyone take ALA?

Options
I have read that ALA can aide weight loss by increasing activity of the hormone leptin on visceral fat cells. Has anyone tried this supplement? Are there any cons to taking it?

Replies

• jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    I have read that ALA can aide weight loss by increasing activity of the hormone leptin on visceral fat cells. Has anyone tried this supplement? Are there any cons to taking it?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    What is it? I googled it and get American Lung Assoc. or American Library Association and some other American things.
    Can you give the full name??
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    Alpha-lipoic acid
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Here's a little info I found about it on a diabetic report:

Alpha-Lipoic Acid
    Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA, also known as lipoic acid or thioctic acid) is a chemical that is similar to a vitamin. It is an antioxidant--a substance that prevents cell damage caused by substances called free radicals in a process called oxidative stress. High levels of blood glucose are one cause of oxidative stress. ALA is found in some foods, such as liver, spinach, broccoli, and potatoes. ALA can also be made in the laboratory. ALA supplements are marketed as tablets or capsules.c It is theorized that ALA may be beneficial because of its antioxidant activity.

c There is some use, reported from outside the United States, of ALA delivered intravenously (IV). These trials are not discussed in this report.

Summary of the research findings
    The evidence on ALA for type 2 diabetes and obesity is limited. There are a number of small studies in animals and in people that have shown hints of beneficial effects. In a few of these studies, some possible benefit from ALA was seen in glucose uptake in muscle; sensitivity of the body to insulin; diabetic neuropathy; and/or weight loss. More research is needed to document whether there is any benefit of ALA in diabetes and to better understand how ALA works.

Side effects and possible risks
    While ALA appears to be safe for the general adult population, people with diabetes need to know that ALA might lower blood sugar too much, and thus they would need to monitor their blood sugar level especially carefully. ALA may also lower blood levels of minerals, such as iron; interact with some medicines, such as antacids; and decrease the effectiveness of some anti-cancer drugs. Other possible side effects of ALA include headache, skin rash, and stomach upset.

That's the best I could find. Here's the website I got it off of: http://nccam.nih.gov/health/diabetes/
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Alpha Lipoic Acid is the universal antioxidant and nutrient all-in-one. It is found in our cells naturally, but only in very small amounts. ALA is able to function in almost every part of the body to eliminate free radicals.

There are no good food sources of ALA, so the best way to maximize its benefits are to take it as a supplement, in addition to applying it topically in skin care products.

Here is what I would check into
    Natural Antioxidants

Vitamin A and Carotenoids
    Carrots, squash, broccoli, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, kale, collards, cantaloupe, peaches and apricots (bright-colored fruits and vegetables!)

Vitamin C

Citrus fruits like oranges and lime etc, green peppers, broccoli, green leafy vegetables, strawberries and tomatoes

Vitamin E

Nuts & seeds, whole grains, green leafy vegetables, vegetable oil and liver oil

Selenium

Fish & shellfish, red meat, grains, eggs, chicken and garlic

Other Common Antioxidants

Some common phytochemicals

Flavonoids / polyphenols
    soy
    red wine
    purple grapes or Concord grapes
    pomegranate
    cranberries
    tea
    Lycopene
    Tomato and tomato products
    pink grapefruit
    watermelon
    Lutein
    dark green vegetables such as kale, broccoli, kiwi, brussels sprout and spinach
    Lignan
    flax seed
    oatmeal
    barley
    rye
    Vitamin-like Antioxidants:

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
    Glutathione
    Antioxidant enzymes made by the body:

superoxide dismutase (SOD)
    catalase
    glutathione peroxidase