Do you ever just have meat free days?

Options
emom3boys
emom3boys Posts: 84 Member
I love my meat and chicken, but I seem to be craving my veggies more often. Do I have to have protein everyday?

Replies

• HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, although it's usually unintentional. I cook a lot with veggies, and sometimes, i will have a whole day where I haven't eaten any meat, just by chance.
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you do not eat meat, I would suggest making sure to get your protein in from another source. You still have to hit that macro-nutrient need.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Chili is a great option if you want esay and meat free. Throw in a bunch of legumes (kidney beans, black beans) and you'll still get protein. You can even make it in advance and freeze it for when you're in the mood.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've started going 2/3 non-meat. Breakfast and Lunches have no meat, but meat for dinner. Have to say I think its made a difference.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I very rarely eat meat other than on a Sunday. I try to eat as low fat as possible and like to get as much food as I can for the calories 'spent' so meat is usually a no-no for me.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    Im going meat free for the next 7-days, give my digestive system a small break.
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    I have had 10 years of meat free days. Protein is in every kind of food, just certain foods only certain amino acids.

Soy for example is a complete protein absolutely equivalent to meat. So is the combo of rice and beans.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I've lived a meat-free life, since birth :)
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Every day is meat free for me. I might be slightly confused by your wording, but it sounds like you're thinking meat is the only protein source. You won't waste away if you don't have protein for a day, for sure (think about those days where you're sick and lie in bed having nothing but ginger ale all day), but if you eat anything, it would be difficult *not* to get protein. Now, whether it's a complete protein or not is a different question, but those are also easy to do. If you eat meat at all, it's very unlikely you need to worry about your protein levels. Why not bring it up with your doctor if you're concerned?
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My dietary wants have evolved so much in the past year, and meat is the biggest change. I find myself wanting it less and less, opting for other protein sources like beans, legumes and soy.
    So yeah, I do have meat free days, but it's not a purposeful thing, I am just listening to my body. I found that is the secret to my success with this weight loss.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I love my meat and chicken, but I seem to be craving my veggies more often. Do I have to have protein everyday?
    Protein is in veggies. Meat is not needed at all.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I often have days where I don't eat meat, apparently red meat will stay in our system for 48 hours so when I think of it like that might be nice to let the digestive system have a break.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat very often probably for the simple reason that I don't like to cook for just myself. I eat a lot of beans, eggs and cheese to get the protein I need though.
  • Starla_86
    Starla_86 Posts: 88
    Options
    As someone who is a vegetarian and struggles to stay on a diet - trust me, you need protein or else you'll feel hungry throughout the day.

I get my protein from nuts, legumes and vegetables like mushrooms and spinach. I also use whey protein on occasionally and make smoothies with them in addition to my breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    I know that on 'The Biggest Loser' they are encouraged/ taught to have some form of protein with every meal. So if you're having an apple as a snack than add some nuts to it.
    It's really not that hard at all not to eat meat and infact it's been scientifically proven to be healthier than a diet with meat. Try finding some recipes online...there are heaps. Just don't not eat any protein because that will affect your body and you'll notice it.
  • lordofthethings
    Options
    Sorry,I don't comprehend meat free. I'm sure every farm animal in the county bursts into tears whenever my alarm goes off...
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a non-animal source of complete protein...one of the only plant-based sources that forms a complete chain of amino acids. It comes from a plant kind of similar to goosefoot and is not a true grain, but it is very similar to rice or couscous and can be used as a replacement for those side dishes. :)
  • eric198
    eric198 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I try to have a least one day a week that is meat free. The rest of the week is usually meat only at dinner and really watching the portions. These days I eat a lot of fish, chicken, turkey, and limited amounts of lean pork. Steak has been relegated to the less than once per month category. That was hard for me at first, since I use to eat beef 3 times a week if not more. I feel much better now. Someone above mentioned beans. They are great to have on your meat free days!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

No, not if you make up the protein through other foods. I once went for two years without eating meat just to see if I could do. It's an easy way to lose weight if you don't overdo high-calorie food like nuts, cheese, and pasta.

I like beef, poultry and seafood and physically I feel better when I have some red meat a few times a week.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    All my days are meat free (vegan) and I average about 40 grams of protein a day. I'm only 5'0" and am not an athlete so this is perfect for me. I do this without ever worrying about getting more protein. So someone who is diligent can EASILY go meat free and get lots of protein.

Good luck!
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I also never eat meat (or eggs or dairy). and I usually get between 90-100 grams of protein every day. I also easily meet my iron, calcium, protein, fiber and vitamin goals.