Hair Loss

Options
After 7 months, I am just a few pounds away from my goal weight. One thing I have noticed is an extreme hair thinning. Even my hair dresser noticed. I've eaten well balanced foods and really don't know if I'm lacking something because of the dieting. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem. This is a noticeble hair thinning over a matter of just a few months. I am a female and have always had an extreme thick head of hair, so this is relatively new for me. Thank you

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Well that's my problem. I had hair like Gene Shallit 'til I started eating right and exercising, and look at me now! :smile: :wink: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :bigsmile:

Ok, not really. Ladies?
  • rheign
    rheign Posts: 56
    Options
    :noway: I'm having the same issue. I am eating healthy and taking supplements. I too am at a loss as to why this is happening. I joke with my friends about joining the hair club for men because it's getting so bad. OH NOES!
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I know of 2 things that can cause hair loss, haromone change and hypothyoid condition. I take kelp to boost my thyoid since I do not show deficient. Also, I massage my scalp as often as I can remember, hopefully a couple of times a day. Also started brushing my hair 100 times a day to stimulate the scalp and growth.

Good luck:flowerforyou: :happy: :flowerforyou:

PS A blood test would show if you have a haromone or thyoid deficence.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I had the same issue. My hair was thinning / falling out. I balanced my carbs/ protiens etc. but it was still happening. I did make one change though, I had to increase my fat intake. MFP has me set at 55 grams of a day. I was getting half of that, if that. I started makign a conscious effort to eat the healthier fats, ie. olive oil, flax seed, peanut butter or almond butter. Made a HUGE difference. I had to get past the 'low fat' mentality. Teh body needs some, when you don't eat the recommended amount your body will take what it can and not use it for things like the skin and hair.

Trust me. If everything is on balance. Meeting you fat requirements won't damage or slow your weight loss. If anyhting it will help because things will be more balanced.
  • niky1215
    Options
    I had the same issues af few months back. Mine though was more from stress, lack of sleep and not eating enough. I asked a nurse and she suggested Biotin. It can be found at any Walmart or CVS. I had a pretty good sized bald spot going and the Biotin seemed to help. My hair has grown back for the most part. Good luck! :happy:
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I have been noticing the same thing. I am hypothyroid, but I was also overmedicated so that shouldn't have caused it, but my body tends to react unexpectedly to many things :laugh: . When you are at a calorie deficit your body will stop putting as much resources into non-essential functions. My Dr told me to watch that I was getting enough protein and iron. The good news is it will grow back when everything is in balance.
  • jseward
    Options
    After 7 months, I am just a few pounds away from my goal weight. One thing I have noticed is an extreme hair thinning. Even my hair dresser noticed. I've eaten well balanced foods and really don't know if I'm lacking something because of the dieting. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem. This is a noticeble hair thinning over a matter of just a few months. I am a female and have always had an extreme thick head of hair, so this is relatively new for me. Thank you

I read others mentioned that a dysfunctional thyroid gland can result in hair loss, but I would see if you have any of the other symptoms associated with hypothyroidism, or hyperthyroidism. I posted a message about it a week or so ago. I have gradually lost my hair, among other things. If you are showing other symptoms, I would check with your doc for a blood test. Either way, I would mention this to your doctor to see what is causing it.
  • Grate
    Grate Posts: 71
    Options
    Been on thyroid meds for years and years. Annual bloodtests keep that all under control. Thank you so much for the input. I am going to try some of the suggestions and hopefully that will work. I appreciate the input
  • jseward
    Options
    Been on thyroid meds for years and years. Annual bloodtests keep that all under control. Thank you so much for the input. I am going to try some of the suggestions and hopefully that will work. I appreciate the input
    \
    Hey if you come up with what's causing it, post it if you don't mind, maybe I could benefit from it too. I too have hypothyroidism, and maybe more than the thyroid is causing the hair loss...you never know.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've heard celiacs disease can cause hair loss too.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    only a doctor would have a definite answer. Could be temporary.
  • Cheriperkins
    Cheriperkins Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree to check with your Doctor to be sure. I do know a weight loss doctor that has her patients take Biotin (OTC) to prevent hair loss. I also agree that everything has to be balanced to function properly. You may wantg to check this out to... www.cperkifitness.net ..then click on "shakeology".