Military Science Course

Options
My uni offers a class called M S 150. Army Physical Readiness. This is the course description

"This lab is designed to use basic military skills and instruction to develop confidence, leadership, and physical fitness. The team approach is utilized in the instruction and application of Army physical fitness requirements. Students will learn various Army physical fitness techniques as well as how to conduct physical fitness sessions. Teaching locations include Lied Recreation Center, Beyer Hall, State Gym as well as around campus. Full participation in all events will be determined based on students physical and medical eligibility."

It's one credit and three mornings a week 6-7:15am.

Just from the looks of it, would you sign up? I am nervous it will be all ROTC in shape people who can do more that five push-ups!

Replies

• gastankerdriver
    Options
    No. I wouldn't sign up in a million years. There are many other ways to achieve physical fitness goals.
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why? I am trying to make a pro/con list because I am a weirdo.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd give it a go. One thing the running has taught me is not to worry about comparing my performance against other runners (no matter how hard I try I'll never be a 5' 5" , 140 lb world class marathon runner) but to focus solely on improving my own fitness year over year.

Who knows, it may even be fun!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Maybe the army is more intense but my husband is navy and their fitness tests are a joke.
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd give it a go. One thing the running has taught me is not to worry about comparing my performance against other runners (no matter how hard I try I'll never be a 5' 5" , 140 lb world class marathon runner) but to focus solely on improving my own fitness year over year.

Who knows, it may even be fun!

I learned this lesson yesterday in a Trail Run that I participated in. I was definitely humbled. This is very good advice.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I took military science every single semester of my college career, 7 semesters total. Trust me, it's not that bad. I started as a freshman with absolutely no stamina or agility. All you can do is your best, they can't require more than that of you.
  • TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    Based on the description, it sounds like there will be a good amount of working out, but the concentration will be on leading a PT formation. In order to do that, you have to know the exercises, the goal of that day's workout and implement a warm up and cool down to complement it. If it is like my NCO courses, students are paired up to lead a session on which they will be graded, and the rest of the class are the participants until it is their turn to lead. You will get a good workout in each session, but I think the focus is learning the "Army way" of leading PT which may or may not be helpful to you. I'm not sure that I am correct on this, but that is what it sounds like to me...
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yeah, idk. I just haven't decided.