Anyone have suggestions for exercise for arthritic old lady?

Options
I have really bad arthritis in my left hip and knee. I've tried walking just 10-15 minutes 3 times a day to get the exercise in. I don't have a membership where I can go swimming, which is what I think would be best. I do have a sit-up machine, which I can use. But I'm out of exercises to do. Can anyone suggest a good workout which wouldn't put too much stress on my hip and knee? I'm starting to get desperate.

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Have you talk to you doctor or seen a physical therapist about exercise options?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knees but I can still wait walk and strength train. Find a good trainer in your area to help you.
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Swimming would definitely be best. I'd assume you do stretches to improve range of motion in your affected joints. If not hamstring stretches and butterfly stretches are good for hips and knees (found an example here: http://www.arthritistoday.org/fitness/exercise-videos-and-photos/stretching-exercises/index.php)

Cycling can be really good too, stationary bikes work just as well. Have a low resistance and try to pick a flat route to as not to strain your joints :)
  • Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    Swimming or any other Water Gymnastics/Cardio... It's great for any joints and bones and still a good and even fun exercise :-)
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my lower spine and knees from sports injuries. Hatha yoga is an excellent start, particularly if you haven't exercised in awhile. Oftentimes, yoga classes are offered to folks with arthritic conditions so check in your area. You've already started walking -- I suggest adding a few more minutes/steps every time you walk. Leg lifts, gentle ham string stretches.

Lifting weights is excellent/using your own body weight. You strenghten your bone mass over time. For example, Squats can be done with your back pressed firmly against the wall. You should feel your quads/glutes working, but NO JOINT PAIN. if you do, ease up.

Two things: Please see a Dr./Orthopedist before embarking on an exercise program. And 2. get out of the mind set that you are an "arthritic old lady." That frame of mind is more painful than arthritis.
  • fernamber
    fernamber Posts: 16
    Options
    Swimming is best, I suggest you look into getting a membership. But I recently bought a stationary bike for my room and one of the benefits they say they have is that it's a good cardio workout without strain on the joints like running. You could try that?
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    I'm 42 and facing partial knee replacement and then I'll need total as I get closer to 60. Not something I wanted to hear from my doctor. When I met with the ortho doctor he suggested I do swimming-or even just walking in the pool.

We joined the Y. Also, check with major hospitals in your area. We have two Wellness Centers that have pools. I would do the Wellness center, but the Y offers free child care and more things for my teenage son to do. Also, check to see if you have other type of fitness/wellness centers.

If the cost is expensive, check with your family to see if they would all pull their resources together to get you a membership.

I just went back to the ortho for a follow up and he suggested that I use the bike. I was going to start adding biking (a recumbent bike) a few days a week. He said to start small. For me, no treadmill. Do check with dr. first.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the water fitness classes. Why?? I can do the moves with little to no pain! My knees hurt all the time, so I know that land classes aren't for me. I feel successful and that's make me want to keep going! Less pressure is put on your joints. The class has people of all ages and sizes. A long, long, long term goal would be to become certified to teach water fitness classes.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    First I'm 62 and not old so was assuming you were maybe in your 80s and was going to suggest Silver Sneakers. You could go to your doctor and see if you can get a prescription or recommendation for swim therapy. In the meantime continue to walk as much as you can. Aim for 10-15 min and then each week increase just a tiny bit. Also the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVDs are just walking in place at home. Congrats on deciding to get healthy!
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have hip and spine problems as well and walking can be painful some days, so I sympathize. Swimming is of course the best approach, but if you can't afford it or there's no pool near by I sure understand. On those days when you feel up to it I still recommend walking BUT walk in the grass or dirt, not on the sidewalk. I find that cement is just to hard for me to walk on for any length of time pain free. Lifting weights while you are sitting can be helpful, but don't try to much weight to start with. I have a problem with my shoulders and have found light weights with more repetitions works best for me. You can use cans of food to start with and work up to heavier weights if you feel able to. Also, as some one else noted, Yoga is a great exercise as well, just don't hold the poses too long or if your joints are inflamed it will strain them. I used to do T'ai Chi which is marital art or a moving Yoga (depending on whose teaching you). It consists of a series of slow focused movements so you don't hold any pose too long. Maybe you could find a class for it in your area. Good luck!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis in my back, knees and hips. I just walk on my treadmill as exercise. I started out slowly but as the muscles become stronger it takes the impact off your joints enabling you to increase your speed and endurance over time. If you are only able to do 10 minutes comfortably, try doing it a couple times a day and slowly add 1 or 2 minutes to your time every week. Of course, if you have an inflammatory arthritis you should clear everything with your doctor and they will want to monitor your progress to prevent systemic inflammation. And of course, swimming and yoga are fabulous for arthritis as others have suggested.

Good luck on getting healthier! :flowerforyou:
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I just want to second a suggestion that dr_roe said. I have practiced Tai Chi for four years now. My instructer is certified for Tai Chi for arthrius and d iabetes and my insurance covers part of my classes. There is a form of Tai Chi especially for artritis, and there are certified instructors all over the country. Ask you Dr or your local hospital/health care for names and see if your insurance will cover it.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    have you seen a physiotherapist?