Cucumber Paradise

Options
pittcurl
pittcurl Posts: 82 Member
Okay guys I've been loving cucumbers (and their pricing and nutrition value), but can't think of a recipe that is healthy. As a child I grew up on the traditional cucumber floating in mayonnaise. I'm just looking for hope now.

Replies

• wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use them to snack on during the day cut into sticks, add them to wraps and sandwiches for a bit extra, and my favourite way is with raw onion covered in vinegar with cheese and bread..... apart from that or maybe juicing them I dont have many ideas
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Make a cucumber salad.

Cut the cucumbers up into bite size pieces, and mix with your favorite other veggies. I like radishes, tomatoes, carrots, etc.

I also mix in herbs. Basil, cilantro, etc. Add your favorite salad dressing, preferably one with no oil, and enjoy. Or mix your own dressing. Good with a ginger dressing sometimes, too.

Plus, everything that is good in this salad is super easy to grow at home, even in containers on a balcony.
  • pittcurl
    Options
    Thanks guys.... I think my mind was only on bad stuff to mix with it. I think I'll be eating some cukes on a nice warm day (maybe not on the balcony- since I don't have one. LOL).
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Might sound weird but I put some chopped cucumbers in my tuna sandwich (using tuna in water and only 1tbs of light mayo) and it was really good! Made the sandwich have some crunch to it.

If you want give it a go! Usually I just eat the whole cucumber by itself
  • pittcurl
    Options
    Adrye that sounds delicious... I'm now visuallizing making a couple tuna sandwiches with cukes as the bread. A little fancy and healthy.... yummy!!
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My favorite Russian cucumber salad: cut cucumbers into slices or cubes, add some sour cream (or yoghust for fewer calories) with some fresh pressed garlic and salt! Yum! instead of garlic, you can use finely chopped onions (green onions are great). In any of these versions you can also add chopped fresh dill. These days I sometimes use fresh mint instead of dill, it is wonderful.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Safeway makes a delicious Greek Salad with cucumbers, tomatoes & feta cheese, with a little oil.

And then there's Quinoa salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro (Kirkland)
  • jenny11jones
    Options
    There is a great salad with cucumbers and shrimp...just google Weight Watchers shrimp salad. Gives you protein and veggies! I also like making cumcumber ceviche. I used already cook shrimp and it is all veggies and lime juice. Google that one too!
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe with an Asian flair. I have cukes cut up in my fridge almost all the time using this recipe. I don't care for pears so usually just do cucumbers only but it's good with apple too:

http://justbento.com/handbook/recipe-collection-sides/cucumber-and-nashi-asian-pear-marinated-salad

Recipe: Cucumber and nashi (Asian pear) marinated salad
    Makes about 8 cups of salad, plenty for several bentos and meals.

2 large cucumbers
    1 medium to large nashi or Asian pear
    1 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/2 tablespoon light (usukuchi) soy sauce (see soy sauce basics) - or use any soy sauce you have instead. Use a gluten-free soy sauce if you are concerned about gluten intake.
    6 tablespoons rice vinegar or mild apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon sugar or equivalent sugar substitute
    1/3 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste (or use ichimi togarashi instead)

Slice the cucumbers in half lenghwise, and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Slice the halves again into half, so you end up with quarters. Cut up the cucumber into chunks about 3/4 cm / 1/2 inch thick (no need to be too precise here; just chop away roughly).

Peel, quarter and core the nashi pear. Slice fairly thinly.

Combine the cucumber and pear in a large bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix well and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the rest of the salt, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and chili pepper flakes. Stir well but don’t worry if the sugar and salt don’t melt totally - they will melt once you mix this with the vegetables. Put the combined sauce in the large bowl with the cucumber and pear, scraping out any unmelted sugar and salt. Mix very well. Cover, and let rest for at least an hour or overnight in the refrigerator. It will keep tightly covered for a week.

If using in a bento, you may want to put it in a leakproof container if you add some of the marinating sauce. This goes well with a Japanese-style or not-so-Japanese style bento.

Variations
    Try using a crispy apple like Fuji instead of the nashi pear.

You can make a cucumber-only salad too, in which case increase the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Take said cucumber out of the fridge, wash it, walk away eating it deeeeelicious!!!
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    we put ours in vinegar with onion slices and pepper..... its soo good!!
  • ytfelmi
    ytfelmi Posts: 47
    Options
    Safeway DOES have a really good Greek salad, but I like being in charge of what goes in it.. Or the portions at least. Sometimes I think they put too much oil in.

I usually throw together cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, green peppers, and those yummy black greek olives

Mix in a little evoo + red wine vinegar, and top with coarse black pepper and feta cheese. So good..

I think I need to get myself to the grocery store!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Slice cucumbers and add a mixture of greek yogurt, milk, salt, pepper and mint- yum!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    When I was growing up, my mom used to slice cucumbers very thin and soak them in cold water in the refrigerator. She added some salt to the water, so the cucumbers would soak that up. They were delicious.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    My recipe for Poor man's salad:

1 tomato
    1/2 cucumber (or 1/3rd)
    1/2 red onion
    1 or 1.5 tbsp lemon or lime juice

chop them all up into tiny pices. Mix with juice. Enjoy a quick and cheap salad
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

And then there's Quinoa salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro (Kirkland)
    My girlfriend made something that sounds like this from scratch. It looked easy to make, and it was a hit at our dinner party.
  • ytfelmi
    ytfelmi Posts: 47
    Options
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I make cucumber salsa and serve on rice with pork.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I love cucumber too and I eat it a couple of different ways.

Cucumber and Tomato cut into chunks with some ranch dressing.

Cucumber diced small in my tuna with green onions and peppers. Same with a couple of mashed hard boiled eggs.

Cucumber, tomato, peppers, and red onion with some feta and greek dressing.

Love me some cucumber!!!!