High protein vegan yogurt? Does it exist?

Options
mvenes1
mvenes1 Posts: 5 Member
Hi there! I've been using MFP for almost a week now, and the log has made it blatantly obvious that I'm just shy of my protein requirements - depending on what I eat that day. My question is for vegans/vegetarians/like minded individuals: is there a high protein vegan yogurt out there? I feel like my options are limited, and that we were getting left in the dust with the greek yogurt phase. Boo. Coconut yogurt is yummy but high in fat and expensive; almond is not really worth bothering with, imo, and the soy I've found usually is flavored. Thoughts?

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I don't know about yogurt, but there are plenty of vegan protein shakes out there. I think Pea Protein is one? Try searching google or vitacost.com for vegan protein shakes.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Cos a lot of vegan yohurts are made with soya, they tend to have a high protein content anyway :)
  • BordersGirl
    Options
    I've been buying a plain soya yoghurt here in the UK and I absolutely love it. It's not hugely high in protein though (4g per 100g). Maybe you could mix it with some whey protein (if you're not vegan of course)?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    MFP is notorious for greatly underestimating your protein requirements. If you're just shy of it according to MFP, then my guess is you're under by a lot.

The easiest thing to do as a vegan to add protein to your dietary intake IMO is to buy pea or rice based protein powders. Try to avoid soy wherever you can because it IS possible to get too much of it in your diet and my guess is you're already getting plenty from vegan "imitation" dairy/meat products.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about the fat from coconut. Its by far the best source of MCT (medium chain triglycerides) out there and a "healthy' type of saturated fat. But unless you add protein powder, vegan yogurts will not come close to greek-style in regards to protein.

You can try making your own but they're always going to use either soy or coconut. Here is a recipe courtesy of Lisa from Healthful Sense blog:
    Cocoa Pudding
    (Gluten-free + Vegan)

1 tbsp. cocoa powder
    1 tsp. maca powder
    2 tbsp. coconut flour
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (or coconut extract if you have it)
    5 drops liquid stevia
    1/2 cup vanilla almond milk or coconut milk
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about the fat from coconut. Its by far the best source of MCT (medium chain triglycerides) out there and a "healthy' type of saturated fat.

You can try making your own but they're always going to use either soy or coconut. Here is a recipe courtesy of Lisa from Healthful Sense blog:
    Cocoa Pudding
    (Gluten-free + Vegan)

1 tbsp. cocoa powder
    1 tsp. maca powder
    2 tbsp. coconut flour
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (or coconut extract if you have it)
    5 drops liquid stevia
    1/2 cup vanilla almond milk or coconut milk

Agreed about the coconut. I use coconut oil in my cooking a lot. Very healthy stuff. Ignore the sat. fat content.
  • mvenes1
    mvenes1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions, guys!

I'm thinking about maybe getting/making some coconut yogurt and adding a protein powder to it. Has anyone else tried that? It sounds like it would work, in theory, but it could turn out to be a disaster...

I am vegan, in case anyone is wondering, and I don't focus on soy meat substitutions in my diet. I'm a huge fan of veggies, beans, and nuts. The most soy I get is yogurt; I drink almond milk ect.

I get the whole protein question whenever I bring up my diet (so I don't do it a lot), but protein is structure in many organisms; it's everywhere. I want to get more protein because I'm working on building muscle, and I want the most bang for my caloric buck - now that I'm counting calories.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, although I do eat some vegan dishes occasionally. But I do blend in protein powder with greek yogurt (both 0% fat and full fat) and it comes out like a pudding. I also tear up chunks of Ozery Morning Rounds (Cranberry Orange if I add chocolate to yogurt; Apple Cinnamon if I use Cinnamon-based protein powder) and dump it in the yogurt. The result is a very delicious yogurt cake, essentially. However, I use milk protein isolate powder (or a blend of milk isolate, whey isolate and egg white protein powder) and it mixes perfectly and does not leave a chalky texture/taste like some vegan protein powders out there. Every protein powder mixes differently, you'll just have to try.