Strength training

Options
xiomya
xiomya Posts: 25 Member
I spent an hour at the gym doing strength training..that must count for something, but what? I doesn't affect my calories apparently.

Replies

• seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    I know what you mean. I hate it doesn't give you calories. Some of the strength training I do gets me sweating and my heart beating more than my cardio. I try to remember if I am building muscle my body will look better and I am still using calories to do the strength training (even if MFP doesn't count it). Plus overall, muscles suppose-of-ly uses more energy than fat so in the long run, I am burning even more calories.
  • rekus73
    rekus73 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What you need to remember is that you're burning a lot of fat after your strenght training...during recovery phase...and that is not reflected in the calories shown on MFP....so don't worry about what it shows...you're still burning calories for hours after your work out...at least 300-400 calories or more...depends on how long and how intense your work out was :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You have to log it IN the cardio section. The strength training section is just to keep track of set and reps. That bit of info is in the FAQ, but they should really explain it on the exercise page.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/91-doesn-t-strength-training-burn-calories-why-don-t-you-show-any-calories-burned-for-strength-training
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ChrisFitPro
    ChrisFitPro Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What you need to remember is that you're burning a lot of fat after your strenght training...during recovery phase...and that is not reflected in the calories shown on MFP....so don't worry about what it shows...you're still burning calories for hours after your work out...at least 300-400 calories or more...depends on how long and how intense your work out was :)

This...

The after burn is real...The after burn is good.

BTW, Old school physique athletes trained with intensity and ate with discipline. They had very lean aesthetics without any form of traditional cardio.

A good example of the after burn effect of intense activity - SPRINTING. Sprinters perform "cardio" sessions that have less than 5 minutes total effort! (10x100m / 10x50m) ... You ever see a chubby sprinter? You ever see a sprinter on the elliptical? Lol
  • emhargs
    emhargs Posts: 63
    Options
    I log it as 'circuit' in the cardio section.....

i have a heart rate monitor and i once wore it for my strength training and i can assure you, calories are being burned! the less rest period between sets etc can make it more intense, or by lifting heavier weights.

strength training is the best method to reshape your body - keep going!
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    There is a strength training option in the cardio section. I don't think it's as accurate as it could be, but it's something :D

Also as others have said. The after-burning of the calories is what matters the most! Happy exercising!
  • xiomya
    Options
    Thanks, its good to know I'm still burning calories. I'll keep it up.
  • xiomya
    Options

i have a heart rate monitor and i once wore it for my strength training and i can assure you, calories are being burned! the less rest period between sets etc can make it more intense, or by lifting heavier weights.

• xiomya
    Options
    Yes, I'm seeing changes already. My body is getting tighter. I'm loving it!
  • xiomya
    Options
    Well that's great because I hate cardio, but I'm loving the strength training. I'm seeing results already. I'm so motivated to continue.
  • RmYWarrioR
    RmYWarrioR Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The only way to accurately track calorie burn during weight training/strength training is to wear a Heart Rate Monitor. I spend 1 to 1 1/2 hours in the gym at least 5 days per week in addition to various cardio and circuit training workouts. It does count two fold, you are burning calories 1 and 2 you are building muscle which will in turn burn more calories. No sense in losing weight if you are not tone and "Skinny Fat".
  • emhargs
    Options
    the one thing to remember is, to factor in the calories you would have burnt if you had of done nothing at all... for example, if you do strength training for an hour, and your heart rate monitor says you burnt say 180 calories, for me about maybe 60-70 (at a guess) of those would have been burnt by just existing, so if you are logging calories burnt and eating them back, you might want to allow for those calories that would already have been counted in your BMR. Hope I made some sort of sense then.
  • emhargs
    Options
    oh and just wanted to add, i hate cardio too, and i don't do it.... the way i think is, why slog it out doing something i don't like, when i could just do strength training, and eat a realistic number of calories, and get the exact results i am after? some people keep preaching cardio to me, but for me, its really not necessary. i can see the benefits it gives to your cardiovascular fitness though, that's obvious, but in terms of losing weight - i'd rather not overeat in the first place, its easier!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The only way to accurately track calorie burn during weight training/strength training is to wear a Heart Rate Monitor. I spend 1 to 1 1/2 hours in the gym at least 5 days per week in addition to various cardio and circuit training workouts. It does count two fold, you are burning calories 1 and 2 you are building muscle which will in turn burn more calories. No sense in losing weight if you are not tone and "Skinny Fat".
    except strength training doesn't use oxygen, so knowing your heart rate is utterly useless for calculating calorie burn for it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I'd advise you only log it as circuit training if that's actually what it is. Otherwise lot it as strength training under the cardiograph tab.

And heartrate monitors do not accurately track strength training sessions
  • emhargs
    Options
    but by using a heart rate monitor, i am going to see how many calories were burnt during the strength training session - right? i don't actually do this anymore anyway, i only did it once just cos i was curious.

what is the danger in using a heart rate monitor to see calories from strength training? is the danger that it under estimates? i don't count my exercise calories anyway so don't think it applies to me, but maybe i have mis understood?
  • lewist90
    lewist90 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

This...

The after burn is real...The after burn is good.

BTW, Old school physique athletes trained with intensity and ate with discipline. They had very lean aesthetics without any form of traditional cardio.

A good example of the after burn effect of intense activity - SPRINTING. Sprinters perform "cardio" sessions that have less than 5 minutes total effort! (10x100m / 10x50m) ... You ever see a chubby sprinter? You ever see a sprinter on the elliptical? Lol

^^^^^^this :)
  • emhargs
    Options
    right - so using a heart rate monitor while strength training will show me calories burnt during session, but not the afterburn, so underestimates? that's cool, anything extra burned is a bonus.

ps nice pack!