SparkPeople vs. MyFitnessPal? Help...

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has used SparkPeople, and how you think it compares to MFP.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    MFP is Simpler. I didn't like Spark's.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I used Spark before finding MFP. I did not enjoy it the way that I enjoy using this site. I have found a wonderful circle of friends to support and cheer me on that was absent using Spark. I never lost any weight with Spark, and am down 10 pounds with MFP in 65 days. I keep to myself and my friends, and occasionally peek at the boards/comment in forums.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

^ agreed
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Spark was too "busy" for my taste. I prefer the simplicity of MFP.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I tried Spark before MFP. I didn't like it either.
  • Vegastei
    Vegastei Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I looked at sparks first about 6 months ago but it didn't hold my interest. MFP i stumbled across and i have been logging in everyday :)
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I used Sparkpeople before I started MFP. I liked the variety of exercises and the fact that there were demos and videos, but I couldn't find a supportive bunch of friends to save my life and it just wasn't working. If you feel all alone it's so much harder to do this than if you have people pushing you and and congratulating you on your successes. I LOVE MFP
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    SparkPeople did not capture my attention at all. I was on there for maybe a week or two and lost interest. MFP is much better, IMO.
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I tried Spark before MFP. I didn't like it either.

agree
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Lost 0 on Spark - lost 18 so far here. MFP for the win!
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I used Sparkpeople for a short time. MFP has the best food database that I've found out of several similar sites. I think it's also a lot more user friendly. I still log onto sparkpeople occasionally for recipes. The layout of sparkpeople is very confusing to me and I waste a lot if time trying to navigate. That being said, they do have some great information and recipes.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the site design of Spark. Too many ads, it's super cluttered. Drives me crazy.
  • healthymewannabe
    Options
    I've tried SparkPeople before and didn't like it. I prefer the format here. It's much simpler and less busy looking on the screen. Keep it simple, stupid...that's what folks say, right? :)
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options

Ditto! Didn't like Spark's.
  • nessa786
    nessa786 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Tried them...didnt like them
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options

Same here.

I've used Sparks in the past as well.... never stuck with it for more than a couple of weeks; too busy, too many ads, and unless I'm really stupid, I could never figure out how to add some foods.
    More support here as well.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I signed up for Sparks but felt I was inundated with impersonal emails. I just wanted something simple with no gimicks, and MFP fit the bill.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Enjoy MFP much better. Spark people - I spent more time fiddling around with redundant things like spinning the wheel and trying to find out how to get more points. Well that's not the point! MFP is way easier and the focus is on US and helping each other out and we're here for a reason to get healthier and/or lose weight . I'm having much more fun and success here!
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Spark people offers excellent articles and tips from experts--that's the only plus about it in my opinion. MFP is better because you have the chance to see real people reaching their goals
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I used Sparkpeople before I started MFP. I liked the variety of exercises and the fact that there were demos and videos, but I couldn't find a supportive bunch of friends to save my life and it just wasn't working. If you feel all alone it's so much harder to do this than if you have people pushing you and and congratulating you on your successes. I LOVE MFP

I agree. I used SparkPeople for a while - I liked that there were the demos and videos of exercises on SP and they also had menu suggestions, etc. Great for when you are starting out on a weight loss journey and have no idea how to start. But there is so much more interaction with like minded people on MFP and it is a lot simpler to use. I LOVE MFP too.