Lack of Energy / Motivation

Options
Hi All, I admit that I haven't done much fitness related stuff in the last year but I need to get back into.

The last few times I have been out in the garden and felt that it has been too much doing any of the work. Even after digging up a patch I start to feel light headed, faint and drained. I was wondering what the cause of this would be?

I have eaten and drank enough, as far as I am aware.

Also to get back into doing fitness I have no motivation, its the same old story I will do it tomorrow.....that day comes and .....I will do it tomorrow and it never happens.Or I want to go out for a walk, know where I am going but when the time comes I change my mind. What is the best way to deal with this?

Cheers :)

Replies

• shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    how long did you bend over for, before feeling faint? Maybe you stood up too fast.

I have a bad back but from 6-7 am on an empty stomach I went out and clipped bushes & pulled weeds for an hour. Before it got too hot.

At least once a week I force myself out there to clean up the flower garden, the day before trash day so I can stick the weeds in the trash can.

Keep trying ☺
  • StacyPervis
    Options
    Everyone is different. Nobody can tell you what would motivate you. My motivation started many times and fizzled out too. I'd work hard doing it the wrong way and have little to show for it. As many always say" it's a lifestyle change". I felt lazy and fat but also felt I could still do many of the things I used to do. When I was at a shooting match a few months ago, there were some pics with me in them posted on the Internet after the match. These were pics showing different people in the match and awards given out. I saw myself in the pics and reality sat in. I was a disgusting fat body. The pictures didn't look like what I saw myself as. There's no way I'm that fat. At least in my mind. Ok, this is how everyone see's me, but this isn't me....but it was. Once I saw myself and realized this was what I had become, I was done with it. I posted these pics on my profile. I've looked at them regularly to remind me what happens when you dont account for your own laziness, eating and lack of motivation. Now I have no problem exercising 7 days a week or watching the food intake. As your body starts to change, it helps the motivation as well.
    Hopefully you too can find something that will help the motivation. It's a mental thing.
  • madpanda
    madpanda Posts: 23
    Options
    shbretired - It wasn't the same kind of feeling as standing up to quickly. Kind of like I worked my self too hard and felt weak afterwards. Hard to describe really :) . All I had done is dig up some dirt to put ontop of the potatoes for 4 rows. So it wasn't strenuous work. I often get this feeling after using the garden hoe to attack the weeds and after a short while I start to feel tired and drained.
    I am just wondering if its due to my fitness level which has dropped dramatically since i last worked out about 6 months ago.

StacyPervis - Thanks for sharing your story. I too saw a picture of myself from a few years back when I was a skinny young student but look completely different to what I did back then.

What is getting to me at the moment is taht at my new job there are a lot of people who are into running and doing very fit activities and even though I am not a sports fan (I would rather be out walking/archery/shooting if it were allowed/easier here in the UK) I feel kind of "I must do something as I am so unfit" but I just can't seem to get the kick start I need.
    The other week I tried out my old archery bow after not having shot for the past few years since leaving University and I completely had no strength in me to draw it correctly....even though it is a 30-35lb bow.

Last year I exercised for a good few months but then stopped for a while and lost it. I just fell into that whole...."Oh I am a bit fitter now I will be fine"
  • StacyPervis
    Options
    For me it's easier to find someone or multiple people to work towards goals like your own. Maybe join a class doing some exercise activity at the local gym. Meeting people and finding others to challenge you may be a benefit. The military works that way. You challenge others and they challenge you.
    Find someone to give you a swift kick in the pants and offer them the same.
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'd go see a doc 1st and have them run blood work. Can't hurt and it could be a simple fix like a vitamin deficiency or "carb flu" if you are trying to eat low carb.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You do need to want to get fit and things you do for exercise need to be things you either enjoy for their own sake, like the archery you mention, or something where you want to see the job finished like weeding the garden.

The way your body maintains muscles is an equilibrium in which they are exactly sufficient for what they normally need to do and not excessive. Increase the amount you do with them they build up, reduce what you do they waste back down again. Because of this if you make a sudden increase in what you expect your muscles to do you will feel aches and tiredness to start with. You just have to be patient - do as much as you can and then rest but keep trying, i.e. have another go the next day or the day after. As time goes by you will be able to do more and more as your muscles build up for what they are now required to do.

If after trying this the amount you can do before getting tired does not improve then maybe it is time to get checked out by your doctor to check for any other complication.