SparkPeople vs. MyFitnessPal? Help...

Options

Replies

• cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Have an account there but don't use it. Some of the news letters are OK. I did not find it very user friendly. LOVE this site!
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    mfp is simple.............
  • KellyMirth
    KellyMirth Posts: 153
    Options
    I did Sparkpeople for a while but never really lost anything on it. I do think the calorie counts were more accurate for the most part and they had a ton of exercises, which was great. The biggest thing for me is that they didn't keep track of my most used or most recently used foods like mfp does. So I would either have to program it in as one of "my foods" or search for it every single time. It's definitely less time consuming and easier to log food/exercise on mfp.
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I prefer MFP to SparkPeople. The only thing I like on SP over MFP is that it gives you a calorie range to hit instead of one number. (Probably could have worded that last sentence better, but I think you get what I'm saying?) The community on MFP is so much better though!
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I used Spark for almost a year before I started here. I lost about 70lbs w/them. The site was busy... reminded me more of FB or MySpace at the time, but I LOVED the variety of challenges that were there, which kept me very motivated.
  • alosea2012
    alosea2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I tried SP and I just couldn't get into it. Like some have said, MFP is simpler.
  • kirstenified
    Options
    I tried SparkPeople a couple of times. I agree that it was busy and the food lists weren't as user friendly. MFP is much easier and I've had better success.
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have an account, but don't use it. I love MFP!!!
  • rrrainiii
    rrrainiii Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of SparkPeople until I just saw this post....so I was curious and went and checked it out. So confused! I don't consider myself unintelligent, but wow, there is a lot going on with that site! I don't know what to do with myself! I'll stick with MFP - I love it here. :)
  • Richardson62617
    Richardson62617 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I looked into Spark people before I found MFP but I didnt like it either its confusing to me and im easily confused lol..I like MFP better more simple :)
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I never tried the other one because this is the only site that my doctor recommended to me when he told me I needed to lose weight. He even told me that there are other sites out there, but that this one is the best. So it came doctor recommended to me.
  • 45taylor
    45taylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tried sparkpeople and that site fills your email with an overwhelming amount of mail.
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    Same opinion as everyone else. I LOVE MFP. Supportive and friendly people just a few jerks! :smile: Would never go back to Spark after accidentally finding MFP
  • sipseyab
    sipseyab Posts: 59
    Options
    I used to use SP, but it's become so bloated with graphics and clutter. I ended up spending way more time than I wanted to just to log food and exercise. MFP is much simpler.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have used both. Spark people is open to anything being discussed there, however the support is not the best. here we are really restricted on what we can talk about like wanting friends who are christian or that kind of thing. the support system is good.
    it's like anything there are always pros and cons .
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I signed up for Spark, and they buried me in emails. Some people might like that. I didn't. I signed off and blocked their address. I found MFP not too long after.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Tried sparkpeople and that site fills your email with an overwhelming amount of mail.

Definitely...I deleted my Sparkpeople account mainly because of the excessive amount of email. Plus with MFP, I've met some great/motivating people!

Sparkpeople was nice with the videos and articles, but there was so much on the screen my eyes didn't know where to land first! Everyone has different tastes. My brother would like Sparkpeople better than MFP because of the "points" and my mom would like LoseIt! better than MFP because you can get badges for doing certain things (eating right, exercising on a holiday, etc). It's just what seems to motivate you!
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    MFP is WAY simpler for me to use. I hated using Sparkpeople it was confusing and clustered. I do however keep signed up for their newsletter with recipes, workout tips etc.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Caloriecount also puts out an interesting newsletter that might be worth reading. I don't do any tracking there, but the newsletter is decent.

http://caloriecount.about.com/?utm_medium=redirect&utm_source=direct&utm_campaign=caloriecountcom
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I used Sparkpeople for a short time. MFP has the best food database that I've found out of several similar sites. I think it's also a lot more user friendly. I still log onto sparkpeople occasionally for recipes. The layout of sparkpeople is very confusing to me and I waste a lot if time trying to navigate. That being said, they do have some great information and recipes.

Tried getting another quote in here but it did not work.