Eating before working out in morning

Options
2»

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If my morning workout is higher intensity (jogging and the like), I need to eat something first. Then again, I'm hypoglycemic. I'll eat a piece of fruit or a small bowl of oatmeal before I go, drink a glass or two of water, and I'm usually fine.
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat before working out, usually. I can run without having eaten first though. I tried to do a workout video without eating and ended up getting sick to my stomach. not fun.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I think it's probably horses for courses when it comes to this, especially from your responses!

Personally I prefer to train in the morning and usually do so after a banana and a black coffee. Eating would mean getting up a lot earlier and it's an early start as it is! I find if I have eaten before the gym that I feel nauseous and have on occasion suffered with cramp. I certainly think that eating 15-20 mins before training is too much and you should be leaving it at least 45 mins, I would say.

I don't find that lack of food affects me in any way when I train and I certainly don't lack energy. I make sure I drink plenty of water and have a hearty appetite once I'm done!

Like I said, probably horses for courses!

Hope you find a happy balance.....
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I eat about 20 min before usually small bowl of cheerios with fresh fruit. I f I wait til after I do not want to eat.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    U should have a little something an hr or so before wkn out, nothing over 200 cal, an apple, cheese stick, etc.....you'll burn your muscle off otherwise, I just read this in a fitness mag today........
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    U should have a little something an hr or so before wkn out, nothing over 200 cal, an apple, cheese stick, etc.....you'll burn your muscle off otherwise, I just read this in a fitness mag today........
    ^^^Uhh...no! Not true...
  • lizitivity
    lizitivity Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and opinions, everyone!
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i will eat a banana, work out. then shower and all the gettin' ready junk and then eat breakfast. it works well for me.
  • crigsha
    crigsha Posts: 15
    Options
    If I train early, like today, I always eat before working out Generally 30 minutes to an hour before, and it's normally a banana and/or Peanut Butter on wholemeal toast. It's helps gives you fuel for your body. I used to go and train then come home and eat but I was getting tired and feeling sick after an hour as have not eaten.
    Plus eating first thing helps get you get a fast metabolism.

Haha! Great idea! I must have started typing my post as you were finishing yours.

Haha that was so weird!