Alcohol and Calories???

Options
Ok so everyone knows that alcohol packs a lot of empty calories! Especially for me as im a vodka drinker. I dont drink often but when i do drink....i drink!

I have double vodkas which i found out packs in like 200 calories a go!! So im planning on having a few tomorrow night (havent drank in over a month)...soooo do i skimp on food tomorrow day time to save my calories for the evening? Because i can imagine having one hell of a hangover the next day doing that! I know drinking while losing weight isnt the best of ideas...but im having a drink whatever, just want to know whats the best way to do it...if any???

Cheers guys,
Xx

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise that makes sens,e but I do NOT recommend it, if you care about your poor little liver :)

Alcohol is bad for you, period. Not that I don't drink occasionally too... Bottom line, if you're going to indulge, just go for it. F the calories for the night, try not to die, and have fun!
  • wesellee
    wesellee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i would just be buisness as usuall and have the drinks and then resume the diet the next day
  • shaazzap
    shaazzap Posts: 18
    Options
    Calorie wise that makes sens,e but I do NOT recommend it, if you care about your poor little liver :)

Alcohol is bad for you, period. Not that I don't drink occasionally too... Bottom line, if you're going to indulge, just go for it. F the calories for the night, try not to die, and have fun!

Haha this made me smile....and your probably right....ill just have ONE night off =P x
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    lol anyone know how many cals in wenneker passion fruit liqueur
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If I have a day like that I take it out of the week. For each drink knock 200 calories off a day until your even again.
  • antiwings
    antiwings Posts: 34
    Options
    Add an extra 30min cardio sometime in the week? Skip your cheat day if you have one?
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    I love beer! Talk about empty calories. Tonight, I will want to have a couple while I'm watch the NBA Finals. I'm going to "pay" for them ahead of time with a longer workout. That's what works for me. Then I don't feel as guilty. Plus, if I don't feel like working out, then I didn't really want the beer anyway. just my two cents
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I drink pretty much 3/4 nights a week && I always drink vodka & water - 70 calories :) I just work out extra hard.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Totally agree.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I go run first and workout until my HRM says I burned the amount I anticipate drinking. I also have them put my alcohol in a shot glass and I mix it with diet coke myself, so I can see how much I am actually getting because my bartenders tend to pour alcohol with a splash of mixer. :drinker:
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options

i totally agree with this one!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You are only 22 and not got a lot to lose, putting your mind to it those 16lb will go in 2 - 4 months. Personally I would cut back a lot on the drink for those months then factor it in when you are at your target weight.

Disregarding the health effects of drinking it does depend on what type of drunk person you are after a few. If you hit the dance floor and boogie away the calories it wont have nearly as much of an effect on your weight loss compared to if you are the sort who hit the kebab van afterwards.
  • nylitak
    nylitak Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like to drink too! Hit the gym in the morning, but make sure you eat all your calories back. If you don't eat, you won't last the night.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

Yup, this is what I do. I either have 1 drink or go all out. So yeah, just go to the gym later I say. :P
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Here's how I look at it...

Alcohol has nothing to do with nutrition. I know it has calories, but I would never replace alcohol for food. So, just have your drinks and enjoy it. Tomorrow will be a new day.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Ok so everyone knows that alcohol packs a lot of empty calories! Especially for me as im a vodka drinker. I dont drink often but when i do drink....i drink!

I have double vodkas which i found out packs in like 200 calories a go!! So im planning on having a few tomorrow night (havent drank in over a month)...soooo do i skimp on food tomorrow day time to save my calories for the evening? Because i can imagine having one hell of a hangover the next day doing that! I know drinking while losing weight isnt the best of ideas...but im having a drink whatever, just want to know whats the best way to do it...if any???

Cheers guys,
    Xx
    vodka is not that high unless measures are different where you are. here it is about 50-60 cals per shot and if you drink with diet coke/lemonade etc then that is all you are taking in.
  • traininwithstu
    Options
    Your best bet is the day you know you're going to drink is to get your calories mainly from protein and non-starchy vegetables. Keep the fat low too. The issue with drinking is normal metabolism basically stops while your body breaks down the by product of alcohol : acetate. Extra fats and carbs are guaranteed to be stored. Vodka water is your best strategy - avoid soda forever - even diet ones!!
  • dducroc
    dducroc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I have nights with my girls and we usually end up drinking quite a bit :) But if I know we are going to get together I make sure I get a good work out in and be careful with my food choices throughout the day. That way I dont feel as guilty. Oh and if I am drinking mixed drinks I cut the juice in half and substitute club soda to cut calories. But I think everyone needs to cheat every once in a while so you dont feel like your depriving yourself.
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you OP - I'm a vodka girl too, and though I don't drink often, I go all out when I do.

I think your best bet might just be to exercise your butt off and drink lots of water, both before and after your night out. Don't skip out on food to save calories, because drinking when you haven't eaten much is never a good idea. In the past I have had success with simply following my eating plan as normal (maybe eating 100 or so less calories but not much), and getting an intense cardio workout the day before, the day of, and the day after (if I wasn't hung over lol). I remember one weekend I did this, and I still lost 2 pounds even though I had like 10 drinks. I was definitely surprised to see that haha.

But yes, as long as it's a pretty rare occurrence, one night out drinking probably won't kill you :)
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    Interesting really. First, alcohol is not axiomatically "bad for you" - it has many health benefits, well documented by peer reviewed research - particularly wine, but all alcohol has some benefits. Second, it's interesting that drinking=drunk. I am in my mid 50's, I drink a glass of wine 4 to 5 days a week - have for years- and have not been drunk in over 30 years. Apparently that is not the norm...... :p