What's in your house to eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• jessicae1aine
    Options
    I always buy the discount meat - terrible as that sounds, it saves me a ton of money. I always have chicken, spaghetti sauce, and pasta on hand. I keep an emergency ration of Ramen (which I fortunately almost never have to eat), and then basics like flour so I can make bread or something if needed.
  • Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When I first moved to L.A., I had like $5-10/week to spend on food. Well, that sure doesn't get you far. I got the cheapest bread I could (pita pockets at the local mexican food store) and then I'd have 1/2 a can of tuna with some mayo for sandwiches at lunch. I'd have things like eggs on hand all the time because they're filling and dirt cheap. Eggs for breakfast, egg salad for lunch - you get the idea. I'd also get milk, like a glass of milk a day means 1gal should last you about a week. chicken cutlets are often on sale, and if you freeze them, they're good for further meals. Frozen veggies are def. cheaper, too, than fresh, and won't go bad as soon (waste of money).
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'd purchase the following (my ultimate staples!):

Cheerios
    Bananas, apples, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, sweet red peppers
    Brown Rice
    Chicken (lots of it!)
    Deli sliced turkey
    Hummus
    Greek yogurt

It covers carbs, protein and healthy fat

This sounds like some good choices!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Meat loaf is cheap. For a few bucks you can make enough pasta to eat for a few days, lunch and dinner. Oatmeal is cheap.

I'm the king of eating well for cheap.
  • drewunalkat
    Options
    breakfast: ready brek with milk (40p)

lunch (eaten in 2 sittings): brown rice, veg, chicken breast, spices (£2)

dinner: i eat the same as lunch (£2)

i also have other things such as protein shakes etc. and maybe a snack or 2. but cooking at home is a definite WIN! the main bulk of my food costs is from meat, so cut that back, and the other items are very cheap!
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    One good staple is bags of beans. You can make a ton of stuff with beans, and when you buy the bags, they are super cheap. Canned adds quite a bit of sodium.

Eggs - I always have an 18 pack in my fridge.
    whole wheat pastas
    mayo or salad dressing
    whole wheat bread
    family sized frozen vegies
    Fresh fruit and vegies on sale
    10-15 lbs potatoes
    Healthy soups
    Tuna

Just a few ideas.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a bulk store in my area. The nearest one is about 45 minutes away and so savings just get spent on gas to get to the store. So unless I have extra to spend and a huge shopping to do, it's not worth it. Plus food is pretty expensive in my town anyway and there are no farmer's markets or co-ops. Here's what I do:

coupons.com for printable coupons, along with a (free) subscription to Couponmoms.com who sends me both printable coupons and let's me know of sales at various stores like Walmart and Walgreens. Instead of having a subscription to the local paper, I just buy coupons from thecouponclippers.com - there is a minimum amount to buy (I think $4.00) but the savings for that $4 is usually in the $30-40 range. Even if you can't use the coupons right away, you can hang on to them and just use them before the expiration date.

Sign up for your local store's rewards programs. Von's JustForU program is pretty decent at the moment. It tracks what you buy regularily and sends you sales every week based on your shopping along with specials on "things you might like" and coupons.
    I usually go through the JustForU specials then try to find coupons that correspond to take my total much lower. Doing this gets me a savings range of 41%-50% usually though sometimes I can get it higher. If you don't have a Vons, just go through your local store flyers and find out what the sales are then find the coupons that go with them. Oh and some stores will let you use a store coupon and a manufacturers coupon for the same item. Store policies do vary so check with them first.

Find the dollar stores in your area - the real dollar stores, not the ones that offer "lower" prices. 99 Cents Only stores usually have a decent selection of produce and other goods. Just beware the carrot slices - for some reason every single bag I've ever bought has tasted funny. They don't take coupons but every item is $1.00 or less and lots of the brands taste the same or sometimes even better than the national equivilant. You'll also sometimes find the national brands there as well.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what's available in your area; but check to see if there are food warehouses (e.g. Food4Less, Winco, etc.) These are like CostCo; but without membership requirements. The food warehouses are just like grocery stores; but they sell a lot of overstock and last chance foods. While this may sound unappealing, in fact the discounts are extremely steep and for items like unfrozen meat and produce, you just need to cook them sooner rather than later in the week.

I've been buying my lunches: a selection of Weight Watchers, Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones and Healthy Choice frozen meals for less than $2 each; apples and bananas, asparagus, kale, carrots, pasta, chicken, frozen fruit bars, cheese sticks, yogurt.. I can't find my last receipt to quote the prices right now; but it's significantly less than in retail grocery stores (e.g. Safeway or Giant.) I admit that I do splurge on organic oranges and grapefruit; but if I were to buy them from the warehouse, I could save more money and get my closer to the $25/week mark. I think right now I'm closer to $33-$35 mark.

It should also be worth noting that, because it's summer. I'm eating less meat. While many enjoy the grill quite a bit, I find meat makes me feel uncomfortably heavy in warmer weather.
  • silkribbonx
    silkribbonx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend, who eats a LOT, and I spend roughly $200 a month on groceries. The main portion of our food is vegetables and fruits, a loaf of whole grain bread, whole wheat tortillas, a box of whole grain pasta, almonds, walnuts, or mixed nuts, canned fish, beans and tomatoes, cottage cheese, eggs, and yogurt. Butter, olive oil, frozen fruit, salmon or shrimp, and oatmeal every couple months when we run out. And the occasional steak to share.
  • silkribbonx
    silkribbonx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a few cheap (and really easy) recipes that I like.

Spicy Seafood Soup: 1 can of diced tomatoes, handful of chopped spinach, handful of shrimp, one salmon fillet, an onion, and some siracha (and black bean sauce if you wish).
    Basically just sautee the seafood and onions in a bit of black bean sauce and siracha until everything is cooked.
    Heat up the spinach and diced tomatoes without draining. add some water and the seafood.
    It makes a huge pot and is super tasty :)

Marinaded tofu is good too with a bit of rice and some steamed broccoli and carrots
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Okay, we spend about that for the three of us (me, sister and father), so here I go: Fresh spinach and eggs are a must. Makes a good omelette, or garlic sauteed spinach. I usually keep various "snack fruits" around, like kiwis, peaches, etc. Target makes some pretty healthy ready-made foods, so I get the Archer Farms pizzas (there are some good diet ones) and the Archer Farms samosas (delicious and not bad for you). I make tea using teabags by the gallon, which I drink instead of soda or juice. Lean chicken is a must in the house as well, as is fresh garlic.
  • jodi8785
    jodi8785 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    starches won't be a problem, but for protein, I'd go with eggs and beans. I find that frozen veggies are ususally pretty cheap.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ok, this may not work for everyone, some people, I'm sure have more self control, but I also have a limited budget, plus I feed 3 people during the week and 4 on the weekends on about $75 a week. I buy gift cards, 4 $50 ones for Winn Dixie, and 5 $20 ones for save a lot. That way I know I still have grocery money all month, and still get to hit the sales each week. We only get money once a month, and it was either do this or buy a months worth of groceries at once. With a 14 yr old son, that did not work out well, lol. Winn Dixie often has boneless skinless chicken breasts b1g1 free. I stopped buying bagged salads, just this week, and buy heads of romaine and iceburg now. That seems to be working. Wow. I am getting distracted. Ya, so anyway, its easier for me anyway to shop once a week instead of once a month. Always shop with a list and a calculator. That saves embarrassment, and forgetting items needed for a recipe.
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I always buy the discount meat - terrible as that sounds, it saves me a ton of money.

i do the same thing and i feed a family of four.