Dreaded Weekend

Options
Funny subject title, I exactly love my weekends however when it comes to be in control of my eating it is awful.

I have really struggled with my diet for many years I am doing well at exercise and taking small steps with my diet. I am now counting calories Monday to Friday and the weekend I am not counting calories and trying to make sensible choice but I go mad and am out of control.

Does any one have any tips to get me through a weekend to try and get myself under control.

Thank you

Replies

• MeganRhea_x
    MeganRhea_x Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time on weekends too, but I would say instead of not counting calories at all on weekends, I would still try to be very cautious of what you're eating but maybe just have one or two cheat meals a weekend. That way you're still being able to relax a little and eat what you want but not doing that for every meal of the whole weekend.
  • vltaylor35
    vltaylor35 Posts: 72
    Options
    count your weekend calories!!!! maybe allow yourself a couple of hundred extra calories on the weekend but definately still log
  • shendras
    shendras Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do much better on the weekends when I keep myself busy outside of the house. No time to sit around and graze :smile:
  • TheOriginalGinging
    Options
    I agree you should count the weekend calories. I tend to take a longer walk, clean while dancing (or vice versa!) so I can have room for error. If my nutrition is balanced I don't really feel the need to eat more though I do still have my ice cream now and again!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    Whoa, now. "Dreaded" and "weekend" are not to be used in the same sentence!!

That said, I'm not working right now, so I understand. :tongue:

90% of this is psychological. You'll have to come up with a plan. I just try to stay busy.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    Weekends kill me. I eat out more with my husband and I could do a lot better. I try to make good food choices though but sometimes splurge like last night I had french fries and fried catfish.. Of course I gain some but will get it off next week. :-P
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Log all of your food choices throughout the weekend, that way you will have an idea of just how many calories you`re eating. You can still have whatever you want, but maybe once you see the calorie count, you might find something else that would be just as good for less calories. Good luck.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    log everything and still enjoy yourself. I make my weigh in for first thing Monday morning to give myself that added incentive, although saying that it doesn't always work to stop the odd indulgence!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, weekends are always hard. For me, I log and make the best choices that I can, without going totally insane.

For example, last night: I felt like a salad and I'm out of lettuce and most veggies atm. My local hungry howies has a seriously fantastic Greek Salad, they load up the fresh veggies until they're spilling out over the top of the container and will actually fall out when you open the top, so I ordered it with low fat ranch dressing(only 40 cals a serving), and had them add green peppers and mushrooms. Extra veg.

Now comes the treat part: I love the 3-cheese bread, with extra cheese, and ranch "topping" that they have. So, screw it, I got an order. And I had 3 pieces(about 3 inches long each), enough to enjoy it with my salad. I was super-full, mostly on salad, and got to indulge a bit with some buttery cheese bread. I even have leftover salad for lunch today, and cheese bread too.

There's lots of days, mainly saturdays and sundays, that I do that same thing. Pair a healthy choice with a less than healthy choice, enjoy a treat, but balance it. You don't have to go without, just don't go *crazy*. I imagine I could have ordered a 5-topping pizza and a cheese bread last night, and that would have been too much. The salad was delicious, and kept it reasonable.
  • perrydjlj
    perrydjlj Posts: 6
    Options
    log everything an be honest with yourself.

the road to happiness is not a straight one an we can all wobble.

but stick with it for the long run, think of it as life changing an not dieting

David
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! 270+ calories over today. Usually I try to go for long walks to give myself some extra calories. Housework counts as exercise in my world, as does walking around shopping!

Also, are you being too strict during the week? I think you should log every day but make sure you're not hungry and that you're having a few 'treats' that fit into your calories.

If necessary, raise your weightloss goal so you get some more calories (i.e. aim to lose a pound a week instead of two. You'll probably lose faster, anyway.)

Good luck with learning to enjoy your weekends (and your weeks) without going mad.
  • kbairdphillips
    kbairdphillips Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I log everything, even my one or two high calorie meals over the weekend. But, I plan my higher calorie meals ahead and eat super lite the rest of the day . I also burn a lot more calories those days with weekend chores like gardening and other yard work or just by playing with my kids. You'd be surprised at how many calories you can burn just by playing with children. And remember when you are eating your not so healthy meals you will want to drink A LOT of water. Those kind of meals are usually loaded in salt so I always incorporate some extra green tea or other natural detoxins to my diet on weekends.
  • southjenny
    southjenny Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your great comments. So reading everyones post its clear I need to log my calories. I may also look at for a while giving myself a few extra calories to make it easier but I don't have to eat them all. The mad part of it I do more exercise at the weekend.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thank You
    Jen