Out of nowhere: Shin splints.

Options
I've been on a fairly decent running regimen lately. I missed last week as I was moving - but I walked every day for 40 minutes. The last 2 times I've gone running (today and 2 days ago) I've had wicked bad shin spints. This coming after weeks of running and feeling like a million bucks at the end.

I am just curious if anyone else has had this happen to them and if there is any way I can eliminate or minimize this annoying feeling? My runs are being cut short and I'm getting a little frustrated.

I try to run through it but then my legs get so heavy I can barely lift them off the ground.

Cheers!

Replies

• Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    did you pick up the pace or the distance? change the surface that you were running on? shoes?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I would try doing a shorter run, taking more rest days for a few weeks.

When I first started back at walking/jogging, I went at it full force--5 days a week. After 2 weeks, I would get horrible calf cramps and have to stop. When I dropped down to 3 days a week, they stopped. After a few months I was able to add in a 4th day without bringing the cramps back.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yes... Surface changed from trail to pavement (country runs before, I moved to the city) - pace increased by I'd say 20%
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That happened to me last month. A year of running and suddenly plantar fasciitis and painful shins. I ran through them, walking as necessary, and they went away in a few weeks. I also used the stick to roll them a lot..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yes... Surface changed from trail to pavement (country runs before, I moved to the city) - pace increased by I'd say 20%
    That'll do it. Back off for a bit, stretch your calves/shins more, and ice your shins for a bit.
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    I never had to ice as a teenager and I'd run 10 miles a day. This getting old and fat thing blows.
  • melinda2308
    melinda2308 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have 2 pair of very expensive shoes . One that I got from running store that fitted me and the other is a Nike running shoe. I did step aerobics off and on for last year. I only wear these shoes for working out. I have been getting shin splints as well. The shoes look new but the heel and arches have broken down. They say you should replace shoes every 3- 6 months. I am in the process of researching shoes now.

You can tell by looking at the crepe part of the heel or under the arch toward the heel . If you see little creases in the foam part of the support on the exterior part of your shoes, they need to be replaced.
  • carexsedge
    carexsedge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints frequently. A friend of mine that is a long distance runner recommended the following exercises and when I do them regularly I never get them anymore.

Lif your foot in the air, and rotate your foot clockwise 100 x's (like your drawing a circle with your toes), then rotate your foot counter clockwise 100 xs. Do this on both feet. If you can't reach 100 x's - go as far as you can.

I do these exercises when I remember - like when I'm sitting at a desk or watching TV- and it seems to have done the trick.
  • Pablosammy
    Pablosammy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's either worn out, or inappropriate, shoes - have you had them long? Also, sounds like you could be a victim of the 'terrible toos' - too fast, too far, too soon! Back off a bit, and get yourself fitted for some new shoes - you may have developed some overpronation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's either worn out, or inappropriate, shoes - have you had them long? Also, sounds like you could be a victim of the 'terrible toos' - too fast, too far, too soon! Back off a bit, and get yourself fitted for some new shoes - you may have developed some overpronation.
    Agreed, it may also be time for some new shoes. (too many miles on the old ones? another "too"?)
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    Brand new (only about 25 miles on them) nice and broken in and amazing comfy. So definitely not the shoes that much I am 100% certain of.
  • medicinemantoo
    Options
    You got a double whammy - working out a bit harder and on pavement too. If you didn't have new shoes it would be even worse. You need to back off for probably 2-3 weeks. That bites, true, but it's not like you can "run through them". They won't just go away like that; you have to heal. You're injured now and have to deal with it. Just have to put in on your list of lessons learned. But you'll be fine in the end and back on track before you know it. Just do the right thing.
  • Pablosammy
    Pablosammy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Brand new (only about 25 miles on them) nice and broken in and amazing comfy. So definitely not the shoes that much I am 100% certain of.

New shoes, new surface, new distance. Could be one, or a combination of all three. I had some very comfy new shoes once, which ended up giving me shin splints - I had my running videoed on a treadmill at a running shop, and the shoes which felt great were actually causing my ankles to roll in on impact. Changed the shoes, problem went away!