Boosting Metabolism - Advice and Help Please

Options
2»

Replies

• alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I had an issue with my feet too, I could barely stand to be on my feet for more than a few minutes because of the pain in my heels, about 5 years ago i purchased walkfit shoe inserts after seeing an infomercial figuring I had to try something. It was like a miracle, I started brisk walks almost immediately, I have been wearing them ever since, I just purchased my second pair and recieved them a week ago so I could have them in more than one pair of shoes, they are $19.99 for 2 pairs and there is a delivery charge of $10.00 per pair. They changed my life completely. I am in no way affililated with that company, just wanted to share my own little miracle.
  • nyteyz82
    nyteyz82 Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm going to hit this from the plantar fasciitis side of things.

I HAD this and it is painful but i did a few things to strengthen the tendon,
    first of all roll your foot over a tennis ball when you first get up in the morning and before you go to bed, it will hurt but what it is doing is stretching the tendon and loosen it up. you can also use a frozen bottle of water for this. after a while you change the tennis ball for a golf ball, the golf ball is smaller and concentrates the pressure to a more precise point.
    Second get some insoles for your shoes especially if you are on your feet all day. have a pair of insoles of each pair of shoes, you should be able to get these from your local chemist (pharmacy).
    thirdly rest, i know this is hard as your trying to lose weight but it will be the best thing for your foot.
    lastly if needed see a doctor about a corticosteroid injection directly into the tendon. it does have its risks but the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

FYI - I had the injection as mine planter was so bad i couldn't even do the exorcises, and was on crutches for 2 weeks. best thing i ever did.

Hope this helps.
    Oh and keep up the good work, we're all behind you.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The one thing that helped my plantar fasciitis the most was stretching! I did the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer with no problem, but once I'd stopped training I started having foot pain. I have orthodic inserts in my shoes which help immensely, but it was starting to stretch at the first sign of pain that helped the most. My favorite stretch uses a curb or the base of a lamppost. I put my heel on the ground and the ball of my foot on the curb, and gently move my knee forward. Don't push too hard, just until you feel it, and then *hold* the stretch. I mean at least thirty seconds, and more if you feel like it. Then do the other foot, even if it doesn't hurt yet. Go back and do it again if you feel like it. I found not only immediate relief, but protection against future pain, too!

I also use the classic calf stretch, where you put the foot in question back with the leg straight, your other foot forward, and bend your forward knee to gently stretch the calf and achilles tendon -- it also stretches the foot, not as much but in a different way than the first stretch.

Major caveat here -- don't overdo it! Don't bounce -- you want a steady even stretch. When in doubt, be gentle! Many years ago, my mom was taking an aerobics class, and they had them stretching with a bounce, and she wound up tearing both achilles tendons. This is a debilitating injury. Steady even gentle pressure is much more effective!

Thanks to learning to stretch properly, I have done both the Breast Cancer 3-Day and the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer since then, and my feet hardly ever bother me anymore. I do still use the orthodic inserts, although I'm looking into exercises that may help reduce that need. And Okabashi sandals are wonderful for those of us who need arch support!

Good luck, and I hope all the advice here helps you!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Gluck and some people have suggested some pretty bad ideas. If you want to try something someone says, research it first
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Now that I have your attention -

Every so often I'll make one of these random bits of info. How about now.

You don't need to eat clean.
    You don't need to avoid white bread or potatoes or beans or rice or _____________ (insert food here) unless you've got an intolerance/allergy/medical condition.
    You don't need to eat breakfast to get your metabolism started.
    You probably don't need to pay any attention to GI.
    Your metabolism doesn't get kick-started and you don't rev it up.
    Eating frequently is fine but it doesn't "boost your metabolism".
    Don't waste your money on Raspberry Keytones and you should probably turn off Dr. Oz.
    You are not toning.
    You will not bulk up, ladies.
    You also don't "gain muscle really easily". Yes, YOU.
    Low carbing is not dangerous.
    Low carbing is not metabolically superior.
    You can eat food before bed.
    You can eat food IN bed.
    There is no specific time at which eating will cause you to gain fat.
    The little pink dumbbells do not constitute "lifting weights".
    That glass of blended up "juice" that you're replacing your meals with, probably isn't "cleansing" any "toxins".
    "Hot Pants" don't make you lose fat, although they may make your wallet lighter.
    You don't need to burn off that bowl of cereal or piece of chicken.
    You don't need to worry about whether you're burning carbs or fat.
    You don't need to worry about how much fat you burned during your workout, or how much muscle you gained during that set of bosu-ball dumbbell flies.
    You don't "shock your body"
    You don't "confuse your mucles"
    Stop switching up your lifting program. How about stick to something and add weight to the bar.
    Just because you saw it in a documentary doesn't mean it's a good idea or even remotely research-based.
    You don't need to zig-zag or carb cycle or do the 17 day butt wash or the cabbage donkey stew diet.
    2 weeks is not a plateau.
    Start here:
    1) Eat within a reasonable caloric intake for your goals.
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat.
    3) Consume at least enough carbs to allow you to train with intensity.

(And can you just use some common sense with food selection?)

4) Lift weights
    5) Get rest.
    6) Repeat
    7) And quit worrying about all the other crap.

Be patient.
    Edited by Sidesteal on Sat 06/16/12 07:45 PM

Credit to Sidesteal