Hayfever - Uk people

Options
slay0r
slay0r Posts: 669 Member
Hey guys,

Last couple of years at this exact time of year I've suffered from hayfever but I've never really found anything that stops it well without making me really drowsy when I'm in work.

Any suggestions that have worked for you? Anyone got any idea what type of things are triggering it in June every year?

Replies

• PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oooh I feel your pain!!! Everything gets me but cut grass is the worst! I've been to the doc, got loratadine tablets a nasal spray and eye drops.

You don't mention what you use but if it's over the counter stuff perhaps you need something stronger!
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi, over the past few days my hayfever has kicked in too, especially later in the evenings for some reason. I get Tesco's own brand of hayfever tablets because they are alot cheaper than the brand names but have the same ingredients! I do have the two different types - the ones with Loratadine (which is non drowsy) and one with cetirizine hydrochloride. It's funny you posted this as I've just been reading up on different brands etc lol!

I'm not sure what causes it but I'm the same as you, every June it starts and I get a really itchy roof of the mouth, eyes and nose and sneeze a fair bit but after about 20mins of taking the tablets I'm okay again.

Hope you get yours under control - it can be really irritating isn't it! :smile:
  • glowingcactus
    glowingcactus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    June is not too bad for me actually, I'm worse later or earlier in the year.

The anti-histamine that really works for me is Acrivastine, sold as Benedryl 8 hour. Sadly you can't buy it as the generic medicine so it isn't cheap. I'm sure I could get it from the doctor if I ever got myself organised enough to make an appointment......
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I use Beconase nasal spray when it gets bad. Non drowsy, but you have to take it twice/day every day as it builds up the immunity. IOW you dont just take it when you have symptoms and dont stop when the symptoms go. But you stop after the season is over, if you get what I mean

:bigsmile:
  • slay0r
    Options
    I'll give a few of those a try and report back on what's happening! Thanks guys
  • slay0r
    Options
    Of course when I'm back into work, I'm not blocked up in any way..I'm still gonna go and try out a couple of these. I'm sure I've had the benedryl 8 hour one before and it worked slightly but it was still bad. I'm thinking just try a few different combo's it can just be expensive!
  • Mexie1
    Mexie1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have tried pretty much everything - the only one that really works for me is Telfast (fexofenadine) tablets. I take one a day from when I first notice symptoms and I use Nasonex nasal spray and Opticrom eye drops on occasion, only when I have breakthrough symptoms.
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    The doctor has prescribed me some pills as I needed a stronger dosage. I also take antihistamine.
  • lisav6
    lisav6 Posts: 56
    Options
    Have you tried local honey? You need to take it early on and regularly but I have heard good things about it. You do need to make sure it is local to you though, so check out your nearest farm shop / health shop / handy person down the road covered in bees!
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Beconase nasal spray is what i generally go for
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I use Beconase nasal spray when it gets bad. Non drowsy, but you have to take it twice/day every day as it builds up the immunity. IOW you dont just take it when you have symptoms and dont stop when the symptoms go. But you stop after the season is over, if you get what I mean

:bigsmile:

Beconase sorted my husband out, he used to suffer badly but as long as he takes it regularly he is good.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have heard that a dab of vaseline up your nose can help with mild symptoms if you don't want to take any meds as it traps the pollen and stops it irritating your mucus membranes.
  • Spence_
    Spence_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Cetirizine hydrochloride all the way! I buy it off chemist.net - you can get a month's supply for about 80p. It's genuine stuff and signed off by a pharmacist before they post it etc. I've been using them for over a year now and I'm still here anyway :)
  • hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have horrific hayfever! So bad that I'm on the strongest tablets they're allowed to prescribe for it, about 6x the strength of the ones you buy at shops.
    I'd recommend going to the doctors and getting some medication, I take mine every night so I'm ok in the morning,

I think is because of the Plants starting to pollinate in June which makes it so bad
    X
  • notaperfect10
    notaperfect10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi, it's just getting bad for me, so whatever I'm allergic to is about now. It's almost non-existant if I'm by the coast, or on the continent! But I've never been to take a specific allergy test.
    I can control it with cetirezine, and I'm fine during the day, not drowsy, but when I sleep... It's like I've been knocked out!
    It worries me enough to think I should try other anti-histamines, so I'll read this with interest.
    I have just bought a small pot of salve called Hay-Max, which you apply around your nostrils as a pollen barrier. So far, it's worked really well, but I haven't had it long...and I can't quite believe it works, so it's still on trial for me.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I buy any of the 2 for 1 offers in Boots and combine it with a Boots own brand nasal spray. The issue with all hayfever medication, is that you need to take it constantly as you build up an immunity (taking a tablet when you experience extreme systems is pretty ineffective). I used to prefer taking Piriton tables (not the one a day ones) but its not commonly available nowadays.