How do I put seasoning on my popcorn?!

Options
wasveganvictoria88
wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
Yes I know it sounds like a stupid question but I love popping my own popcorn but unless I'm putting butter on it I can't get the dry seasoning to stick to it? I put it on after - do I do it before? Do I have to use butter? What am I doing wrong?

No trolls please...I can't be doing with rude people.

I'm not a vegan anymore - I was when I joined MFP :)

Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• chubbster17
    Options
    I'd like to know this too! :)
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I just put it in the bag and shake... i have no problem with it sticking long as I do it right after it's done...:ohwell:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I use butter. It's kind of an art to use a half tablespoon of butter and pour it in a stream thin enough to last. Pour a little, toss, pour a little, toss until butter is gone. Then add the cheese.

You can also use butter flavored Pam but I don't like the junk in that. Butter is a few calories, but it's not all chemically.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try letting it steam in the bag a little to get some moisture on it.

We put Cholua powder on popcorn once and the crunching vaporized it and we both started coughing from spicy powder hitting our lungs. It was pretty funny. We never totally solved that problem.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I use butter flavoured pam spray,low in calories and taste like butter
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Air popper or your more traditional heated oil protocol?
  • Connie_Cupcake
    Options
    How do you make your popcorn? I just buy the kernels and cook it in a little olive oil and as soon as it is done, I throw the seasoning in, put a lid on it, and shake shake shake. Seems to work fine for me
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've gotten seasoning to stick using just a small amount of butter and tossing it well. I also bought an olive oil sprayer that I'm planning to try out soon, either with olive oil or canola.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I pop my popcorn with olive oil. That gives it a little flavor and some healthy fats. If you need more flavor than that, I suspect that the olive oil would help the seasonings stick better, too. I got the idea from Trader Joe's, they have bags of olive oil popcorn and I thought it sounded worth a try; now I have a microwave popper from Target that lets you pop with whatever oil or lack thereof you choose. You could probably mix the seasoning in with the oil and add that before popping, that should leave it evenly distributed. Let me know if it works!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    what about using a little olive oil in an oil mister? you only need a tiny squirt, just enough to get the seasoning to stick....
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    what about using a little olive oil in an oil mister? you only need a tiny squirt, just enough to get the seasoning to stick....

This is what I do and I use a Microwave popper.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    with an air popper i kind of have to use a bit of butter. i'll have to give the spray a try

if i'm doing it on the stove i put the seasoning in the EVOO while it pops.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Fab thanks for all your awesome ideas - I air pop mine in a pan...no oil or butter, no offence to anyone but I feel it defeats the object of having a low cal treat...for me anyway :-) I do like the taste plain but I always like to add a bit of flavour...I like the idea of letting it steam a bit in a bag...I have a big plastic container that I can shake it in...I leave it to cool first before I put the lid on so I'll try steaming it a little first then season.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    like hot sauce on mine:) sprinkle on top after it pops.

Also like parmesan cheese.

cinnamon with alittle sugar is good too.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    i spray it with olive oil cooking spray first.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    you will love this!!!! it has saved me when I want to snack and is just about the Tastiest most flavorful thing I ever put on popcorn. I buy Hidden Valley Ranch dry seasoning (down the dressing isle) it's in a packet.

one teaspoon is 10 cals
    zero fat
    low sodium

it's the best...your welcome in advance,,,lol
  • tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was told to try soy sauce once as it's salty and is a liquid...
    I tried it and personally didn't like it, as it was too strong and only the odd piece got some on it, but maybe if you had it in a diffuser spray bottle....?!
    Just a thought!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Spray olive oil on it with a Mr. Mister ( hand pump oil sprayer) then add your seasoning. The amount of oil is very light and not heavy on calories.:wink:
  • SilentJo
    SilentJo Posts: 66
    Options
    I spray my popcorn with Parkay butter spray. 0 calories and the cayenne and chili powder that I douse my popcorn with wouldn't stick so well without it! I love my spicy popcorn :)

jo